Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question.. .
Today I used EH at ferrybridge services, I started app successfully and went to grab a coffee.
My phone battery died whilst I was getting coffee, no problem I could see unit was still charging upon my return.
I only needed 25 mins of charge so wanted to stop charging before the allotted 45 mins.
I plugged my phone into car and got enough charge to load the EH app, but I couldn't get back to the app screen that shows "stop session early" .
I was back at the home screen "find pump" "charge" screen:confused:.
I just couldn't get to the stop screen.

I pressed the button on unit that says stop charging early, it told me to use the app to end session early. After 5 mins of messing with the app I had to hit the big red emergency button stop button (reset it also).

Is there a way of getting to this screen once the app has closed?
Screenshot_20170826-104836.png

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've had the exact same issue at M1 Trowell southbound a few weeks ago. I didn't have any issues with my phone battery or Internet connection but the app kept taking me back to the welcome screen to start a new charge. I only needed 10 minutes but waited for 45 minutes as I wasn't sure if I should hit the emergency stop button.

My complaint to electric highway about this issue remains unanswered so far...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't you just stop it on the pump and then unplug?

Billing should be correct.
Billing is fine but couldn't stop it via app and unit said I needed to use app. So had to use emergency stop button to release car (not a fan of using emergency buttons)

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I've done it on the pump before I'm sure, but can't you just disconnect the Chademo?
Unless the charge point is in offline mode when the charge starts, it will want some sort of authorisation to end the charge, or any idiot could annoy you by stopping your vehicle charging.
The Chademo connector is locked by the charge point, it's not possible to unplug while there's voltage on the cable, for obvious safety reasons.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,021 Posts
So is there an answer to the OP's question?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I normally use the Chademo adaptor, which means I can disconnect manuallly.
The CHAdeMO adapter is also locked (necessarily - unplugging during an active DC charge could be quite a fireworks show).

So what I think you mean is that you are able to abort the charge using the button on the CHAdeMO adapter (which I think is also interlocked with the car's "doors unlocked" status to avoid nuisance interruption by passers-by, though I haven't checked that).

You could equally abort the charge from the controls within the car, or indeed from the car's app, which would cause the charger to terminate the charge and unlock the connector.

Does the Leaf have no similar controls at all?

·
27,021 Posts
The CHAdeMO adapter is also locked (necessarily - unplugging during an active DC charge could be quite a fireworks show).
Why? Is there no proximity pin?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Why? Is there no proximity pin?
There is (strictly, in CHAdeMO the proximity pin is for the benefit of the car, but there's also the "vehicle charge permission" which also acts as a proximity indication to the charger).

However, the charger then has to shut down the charging current which may take a while given that the output side of the charger probably has significant inductance and capacitance. The standard requires it to do so at a rate of 100A/sec in normal shutdown, 200A/sec in emergency stop circumstances, so ~half a second for you to draw a nice arc. Those performance figures are stated in the normal condition where the connector is mated; it's tricky to analyse the behaviour where you've ripped the connector out and the arc is established; there's probably a lot of stored energy available to keep it going, but maybe not enough voltage difference between charger and battery.

Maybe I'm overstating the issue, but certainly all the DC charging standards are much hotter on connector locking than the equivalent AC ones where the arc duration is much less.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I've done it on the pump before I'm sure, but can't you just disconnect the Chademo?
I did and the unit told me I could end session using the app.. you. Which of course I couldn't.

Have fired off email and tweet to EH. it just seemed silly the only way to unhook my LEAF was hitting the emergency stop button.

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,574 Posts
I may have missed something but couldnt you just have rung them up and had the operator stop the charge for you?

Oops forget that just noticed it was today sunday no phone operator. Never mind one day.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
I had a sort of opposite problem last week (though one I admit is unlikely to come up in normal usage).

I was testing out my Tesla CHAdeMO adaptor at Clacket Lane, and after stopping one session it took the app about 10 minutes before it would let me start a charge at the adjacent chargepoint, because however many times I pressed "end session early" or restarted the app etc it would always take me back to the session in progress screen and not let me get to the start a charge screen.

And then I did something stupid at Exeter services and had yet another enforced wait: I misread the pump ID number, typed it in, immediately pressed "yes" to confirm I'd written it correctly without checking it was saying the correct services, and then stood there like an idiot wondering why the pump wasn't asking me to start a charge. Same problem: the app is stuck showing a "waiting for you to start your charge" screen when you actually want to go back and start a new session. Presumably at some other location somewhere in the country an EH pump was offering passersby a charge on my account...!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The app seems overcomplicated and unable to cope with things that are out of the ordinary. Such a shame we can't just do contactless payments to start/stop a charge.

Ps. 1124 unit id is one I use most often if you feel the need to randomly give out free charges!

·
Electric Leaf Man
1,898 Posts
Highlights why it's a bad system. Single point of failure. 24/7 phone support would at least help. A reliable system would also help.

Never mind, it's been free for years before most owned an EV so all can be forgiven.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,655 Posts
So is there an answer to the OP's question?
Yes. Open the app, make sure you are logged in (if you aren't, there will be an option to, but you should be) and wait, and it will refresh to the charging screen.

It needs a few seconds to poll the back end to check whether a session is already in progress.

·
27,021 Posts
Yes. Open the app, make sure you are logged in (if you aren't, there will be an option to, but you should be) and wait, and it will refresh to the charging screen.

It needs a few seconds to poll the back end to check whether a session is already in progress.
Ah!

The old 'turn-it-off-and-back-on-again-and-wait' solution.

I always think of the often-misattributed-non-Einstein quote when this IT solution rears its head; "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results". IT makes us idiots.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,655 Posts
Ah!

The old 'turn-it-off-and-back-on-again-and-wait' solution.

I always think of the often-misattributed-non-Einstein quote when this IT solution rears its head; "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results". IT makes us idiots.
Not really - it just takes a little while for the app to re-login and regain the charging session after you start it, given most phones kill it once it is no longer on focus.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts