Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just had a rare old time trying to store the Ampera charging unit back into the recess below the boot floor. It seems to be one of those bits of design which fits fine when its new but once you've removed it, its the devils own job to get it back the same way. I havent tried to store the unit back in the recess at all since I first took it out two months ago, and I'm not sure I will do again now ;)

Took me a couple of minutes to remember that it was originally face down (i.e. the face with the LEDs and orange button). But then I spent 15 minutes unwinding and rewinding the thick orange cable to try to get it to end up so the J1772 plug hung nicely just to the top right once the cable was all wound onto the unit. I failed ! :roll: I ended up deciding it was too dark to carry on and unwound the cable a full turn, then coiled the last bit up - now it just fits.

Think I know now why the salesman said to me regarding the demonstrator "I always just throw the cable in the boot". How do other Ampera owners carry their chargers around - do you bother trying to store it neatly or just chuck it in the boot?

·
Registered
138 Posts
When my son borrowed the car recently he just threw the cable in the footwell behind the front passenger seat, but he was always untidy!!! I wouldn't dare say he takes after his mother (as it's probably my genes)

I have to confess I had to look-up in the owners manual how to stow the cable the first time after wrestling with it for a few minutes.

Big Paul

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That looks quite neat.. its not clear from the photo on the website David, it looks like it can clip onto the metal loops in the boot to keep it in place - is this the case?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have also found it a right pain trying to store the cable in the proper recess. If it was raining I would not be happy but I too simply put it wound up into the boot and it doesn't seem to move around.

·
Registered
145 Posts
After many attempts have mastered the recoiling of the cable by leaving a short lead length free to stow with the plug, the wall plug then sits in the handle cut out with its short lead.
When coiling, to feed the cable on neatly and tightly, I rotate the holder on the carpet in the boot whilst holding the cable under tension. Had to remove the velcro as it catches the carpet and tears it to bits.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,443 Posts
Judging by its size I would say that is for another granny charger. I have the genuine Vauxhall public charge cable, type 2 to type 1, and it would only take up half the space in that case.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts