Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting closer to buying a Passat GTE and had one question that actual owners will be able to help with. I'm sure its in the manual but I don't have one and google has failed to answer.

I believe there is a hold function to retain whatever battery milage is in the HV battery. So lets say I want to do a 100 mile journey that is 75 miles of A road / motorway and 25 miles village town or city. Can I easily with the console buttons force the car to use HV battery in the lower speed limits and the ICE for non built up areas (in Hybrid mode to add a little to the battery when appropriate)? I ask this as its a common scenario journey for me.

I note that newer cars like the E300de does this automatically assuming you have entered you destination into the sat nav. The Merc works out the optimum energy balance for the journey including the braking point for speed limit and sharp bends which it does for you. However the GTE is an earlier generation so I guess won't do this but I'd like to think that it has a user friendly hold function and doesn't just burn its 25 miles of EV in the first 25 miles of the journey and then leave you in hybrid mode for the rest of it.

·
Registered
997 Posts
If it is a new Passat it will do the same as the Merc- though my experience of this in the Golf is that it isn’t as clever as it should be and also doesn’t work unless you use the car sat nav.

However, you can switch on ‘battery hold’ or ‘e-mode’ at a press of a button at any time and is how many use the car. Leaving it in GTE mode out of town will keep it topped up to about half battery too.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Satnav-based intelligent hybrid mode was introduced during the previous generation, sometime mid-2017 from memory, probably for the 2018 model year when infotainment systems were updated. I have it on my Passat, but tbh it's not that great in my experience; it seems to leave a buffer of around 20% in the battery when you arrive, which given a relatively short range anyway is a bit pointless if you plan to charge at destination.

If you switch it from e-mode to hybrid mode on leaving for a longer journey, it will activate the engine over 40mph and tend to run on battery mode below 40mph, unless more throttle is required (higher acceleration or hills) at which point the engine will fire up at lower speeds to preserve battery a bit. I find this works well enough, and not worth using satnav for destination planning vs just sticking with Apply CarPlay and using Google Maps or Waze. If I have enough battery to complete the end of a longer journey then I just switch it back into e-mode myself.

Battery-hold will prevent use of the battery entirely until you are ready, as per your example request. One button toggles between modes, so could not be easier. The new model from 2019 has the same capability but with a slightly different interface, using the touchscreen to choose what % of battery you want to save I think.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the informative replies. It is reassuring that it does that. Some article I'm sure stated that you can't store the charge on a GTE either it was wrong or I misinterpreted. As I recall it was a tester driving to Bristol and bemoaning that when he got there there was no electric range left to use in the city and it was impossible to overcome that??

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think it depends a bit which model year the GTE is. IIRC some do not have battery hold mode as an option. As above GTE mode will have a similar effect on battery charge level to battery hold mode

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahh now I'm confused.. are you saying that the GTE button on the console is the same as battery hold? My understanding of the GTE button is that is full power delivered from the ICE and the battery together and is used for towing caravans up hills and if you want to get the most umph from the car. Crikey its getting confusing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry, I did not mean to confuse things. GTE and battery hold mode are not the same, but they are similar in that they maintain the level of charge in the battery to a point.

If you put your foot down in GTE mode it will use ICE and electric together to give a very grin inducing burst of acceleration. If you just drive normally in GTE mode it will switch between ICE and electric in a similar manner to battery hold, and will maintain battery charge to give c. 12 miles range so that the boost is available when you put your foot down.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK cheers. Remember you are taking to someone with no experience of owning/driving a GTE and one who is easily confused!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Pretty sure all the latest Passats have battery hold but some older ones may not have had it. There are two buttons- one which toggles between the various modes and one which engages GTE or switches it off and back to whatever the last mode used was.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts