Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it's possible to set the Leaf to go straight into B mode rather than having to go via D first? I never use D and it's annoying having to select it twice every time. It would be nice to be able to reverse the selection so it goes B first, then D.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Not possible from all I've read around the various US and other LEAF websites, would be handy for many I'm sure but it just can't be done by default, or by way of any "hack" I've seen uncovered.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
its the same with eco on the mark 1 leaf, it used to drive me mad but after a while muscle memory kicks in and I shift twice without thinking about it

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wonder if it's Nissan being paranoid about litigation and ensuring that people have made an active choice to have that extra braking without brake lights? Same for the low-speed external noise cancel button. The Leaf seems to be that way inclined more than any other car I've ever owned. I've twice now nearly ploughed into a car coming the other way trying to hit the OK button to confirm it's ok to send telmatics info!

·
Registered
100 Posts
It will, however, stay in eco mode if you have selected that on the steering wheel, that gives you the extra braking.
I confess I have experimentally stopped using the eco option is the last couple of weeks, it does not seem to have affected my power consumption a jot!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Actually, Eco mode remaps the go and stop pedals so the go pedal is less sensitive and there is more regen when you drive "feet off".

If you are careful and gentle with the right foot and use sensible regen braking it will make little or no difference to your power use. Full power is always available and full regen is always available... it is the how it is mapped onto the pedals.

It also restricts power used by the heating and A/C.

I know nothing about B mode. Sorry.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
D mode is regular.
ECO mode reduces power output and pedal sensitivity, kick down required for full power, also restricts heater/aircon power. In non sat nav models only this apparently also increases brake regeneration.
B mode increases brake regeneration, recommended for downhill etc, regardless of the choice of "ECO" or not.

This is from the "gen 2" LEAF manual and tallies with how I feel it when driving.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I tend to D-mode normally and try to freewheel as opposed to regenerating when going down slopes. When I meet a steeper hill or if I am approaching a junction a little "too" fast then I change to B-mode in order to slow more quickly.

Would be useful to know what the merits / demerits of 100% B mode driving are

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
B mode and Eco are just ways to make it easier to save power or to regen. They do nothing clever with power use except that they do restrict A/C and heating.

Driving using regen is not as efficient as coasting or gliding so in some ways B and Eco modes can make it more difficult for a skilled hypermiler to get maximum range. However, for a novice EV driver, who is not so skilled at coasting or gliding and is perhaps has a bit of a heavy right foot, it can improve range as regen is maximised and the sensitivity of the "go" pedal is reduced making it less likely to over-accelerate.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Did this change?

In the Gen 2 B mode doesn't (according to manual/other searches) affect anything other than ramping up regen (increasing brake rate, more rapid deceleration). Eco mode changes power delivery and restricts the heating and a/c (and if you don't have Sat Nav, it also increases regen).

This is why the selections of D, D and Eco, B alone, B and Eco all offer different experiences/combinations.

By "feel" it does seem to me that "B" does affect acceleration and other driving, but not sure if this is because of increased brake force at all times, or power delivery IS altered, they just don't tell you.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Generally I'm either in D and/or Eco, use B mode only when I cock up my distances or there's unexpected activity ahead and I need to slow a bit quicker... or on very steep down hills (rare).

·
Registered
100 Posts
I regularly have to descend down a steep hill (so that's where the name comes from!) in a 30MPH with a roundabout at the bottom. B mode maintains my speed at 30 and greatly reduces my braking at the roundabout. I don't use B on the motorway.
Has anyone else noticed how when the battery is above 95% B mode barely operates, I suppose because there is little capacity for the charge to run back.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Has anyone else noticed how when the battery is above 95% B mode barely operates, I suppose because there is little capacity for the charge to run back.
Regenerative braking is all about charging the battery from braking. If your battery is already full, or nearly full, then there is no spare capacity in the battery to be able to charge and so regen braking won't work.

As your battery drains so there is more headroom and gradually regen braking becomes more effective.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I regularly have to descend down a steep hill (so that's where the name comes from!) in a 30MPH with a roundabout at the bottom. B mode maintains my speed at 30 and greatly reduces my braking at the roundabout. I don't use B on the motorway.
If you have a look at the power gauge when the car is fully charged you can see the little bubbles look different on the regen side. As the car uses up battery power more of the bubble to the left become full bubbles until they all look the same and full regn is available.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts