Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed a strange illumination on the Distance to Empty panel, like the below (to the left of 'niro')? Any idea what could be causing it, or is it likely to be a hardware defect with the display? I don't remember seeing it until tonight, 36 hours after collection.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
685 Posts
A long shot suggestion.......Electrostatic charge on the screen surface can sometimes cause weird things like this on LCDs. Have you recently been wiping the screen to clear away a bit of dust or marks? Or maybe the dealership did in their PDI Cleaning. That can sometimes cause an intrinsic static charge build up in certain plastic materials. Maybe carefully try a small amount of Mr Sheen spray polish onto a clean and soft Kleenex tissue pad. The polish has anti static properties which can instantly remove static surface charges. If it is static on the screen surface, one gentle wipe should shift it. Don’t rub it hard or for long though.
Another thing could be condensation forming inside the display perhaps. If that it might just clear naturally?

Failing that a trip back to the dealership seems to be the way, unfortunately.
HTH
Peter

Reactions: cb20

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestion @prawlin - I haven't touched the screen at all but will give the anti-static wipe a try and post back.

I just noticed the same thing in this photo, which I took before driving it away from the dealer - so it was there from the start (and unlikely to be condensation given it was in direct 27C sunshine for a long time?). I guess I didn't see it until the evening when I took my sunglasses off.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Good luck.

The more I look at the first pic, it looks more like a faulty LCD. If zoom in can see the conductive tracks within the display in that area. I guess they’ll have to order in a replacement unit for it. What a nuisance for you.

Peter

·
Registered
MY2020 Kia e-Niro 4, received 2 October
33 Posts
Interesting in cb20's photo that a) ISLW is present, and b) it is showing an "80" speed limit sign. Presumably this is the last thing the car saw before going on the boat in South Korea 😁

·
Registered
Kia e-niro 4
42 Posts
Mine has a similar pattern in the same place as of yesterday (car is 2 weeks old). It was pretty cold and wet outside, and I've not checked it since to see if it's still there

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My dealer said they'd never seen anything like it. Kia technical asked them to replace the instrument cluster, and we are just waiting on delivery of the replacement part. It's pricy (£1200) so needed some additional approval from Kia but as far as I'm aware they will replace it.

In my case the pattern is always there after the first few minutes of driving, and it is distracting, so there's no question about it - I had to ask for a replacement. I'd advise you to do the same asap @MatthewSt, if you think it may bother you in future :)

·
Registered
Kia e-niro 4
42 Posts
Thanks for the details @cb20. It hasn't re-appeared today but I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for it now I know how to sort it

·
Registered
Kia eNiro 4+, White
235 Posts
I just got my 4+, took possession today with exactly the same fault. It doesn't cause any issues - so I still took the car away. But pointed it out to the salesman anyway. I have to take the car back to have something fitted anyway - so their tech can look then.

Even has the same shape

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The ghost has moved from my car to yours... Just in time for Halloween! 🎃

I've not had the issue at all recently and wondered whether it might have something to do with lower temperatures. I'm therefore still expecting to get it replaced - dealer says ETA is end of December.

Curious that 3 of us here have seen it. It's expensive (£1200) so I feel sorry for Kia if they need to replace many of them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The ghost has moved from my car to yours... Just in time for Halloween!

I've not had the issue at all recently and wondered whether it might have something to do with lower temperatures. I'm therefore still expecting to get it replaced - dealer says ETA is end of December.

Curious that 3 of us here have seen it. It's expensive (£1200) so I feel sorry for Kia if they need to replace many of them.
Funny you mention that. I had my eNiro 4 for 4wks now and had the same issue from the start and for the first few days afterwards. It disappeared since and was wondering like you if it's something to do with higher temperatures. It was particularly hotter on the first few days. The dealership is investigating. I am curious to know how many of the niros has same issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
685 Posts
I’m beginning to think this is just a condensation thing. Maybe they would all self resolve if left as is for a good while. Perhaps try putting an electric dehumidifier closed inside the car for a couple of days?

The climatic variations spread could be extreme during the shipment journey starting from S Korea via other countries on route.

Maybe more of us might develop this issue over time as certain climate extremes may naturally occur.
Peter

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’m beginning to think this is just a condensation thing. Maybe they would all self resolve if left as is for a good while. Perhaps try putting an electric dehumidifier closed inside the car for a couple of days?

The climatic variations spread could be extreme during the shipment journey starting from S Korea via other countries on route.

Maybe more of us might develop this issue over time as certain climate extremes may naturally occur.
Peter
I am inclined to agree with you. For me it's a new company car and I have to make sure that the leasing company aware just in case it turns out to be a bigger issue. This has no effect on the car, the car is running smoothly and efficiently. It's a lovely car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hopefully you're right @prawlin and it's gone for good now its environment has stabilised, but it's hard to know whether it will reappear when temperatures rise again. I don't want to waste time/resources getting it changed unnecessarily, but I don't know whether the dealer will accept liability if I leave it then report the same problem next summer.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Hopefully you're right @prawlin and it's gone for good now its environment has stabilised, but it's hard to know whether it will reappear when temperatures rise again. I don't want to waste time/resources getting it changed unnecessarily, but I don't know whether the dealer will accept liability if I leave it then report the same problem next summer.
If it was me, I think I would report it to the dealer and ask them to log that you have advised them, but that the fault has apparently cleared. Then if it recurs later they surely will have to sort it. Even if out of warranty. Anyway we have 7 year warranty don’t we?

I would not want them ripping my dashboard apart unless it was absolutely essential. Frankly, they could cause rather more harm than good. I trust nobody, especially some local general mechanic, fitter, service technician.

Peter

·
Registered
685 Posts
But why is it the same shape on each car?
Good question. Possibly there is some specific area within the LCD assembly that is prone to this condensation (if indeed that’s what it is?). The moisture present could make some coating, thin film printing or whatever become slightly visible when normally it’s quite transparent. It is only a theory but it seems plausible to me based upon what I’ve seen on here. I’ve seen odd things happen inside LCD displays before now and again. I’ve looked closely at my display and cannot see any hint of it, YET! :eek:

Peter

1 - 20 of 40 Posts