Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed a strange illumination on the Distance to Empty panel, like the below (to the left of 'niro')? Any idea what could be causing it, or is it likely to be a hardware defect with the display? I don't remember seeing it until tonight, 36 hours after collection.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 22/9/20 (was Prius)
198 Posts
A long shot suggestion.......Electrostatic charge on the screen surface can sometimes cause weird things like this on LCDs. Have you recently been wiping the screen to clear away a bit of dust or marks? Or maybe the dealership did in their PDI Cleaning. That can sometimes cause an intrinsic static charge build up in certain plastic materials. Maybe carefully try a small amount of Mr Sheen spray polish onto a clean and soft Kleenex tissue pad. The polish has anti static properties which can instantly remove static surface charges. If it is static on the screen surface, one gentle wipe should shift it. Don’t rub it hard or for long though.
Another thing could be condensation forming inside the display perhaps. If that it might just clear naturally?

Failing that a trip back to the dealership seems to be the way, unfortunately.
HTH
Peter

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestion @prawlin - I haven't touched the screen at all but will give the anti-static wipe a try and post back.

I just noticed the same thing in this photo, which I took before driving it away from the dealer - so it was there from the start (and unlikely to be condensation given it was in direct 27C sunshine for a long time?). I guess I didn't see it until the evening when I took my sunglasses off.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 22/9/20 (was Prius)
198 Posts
Good luck.

The more I look at the first pic, it looks more like a faulty LCD. If zoom in can see the conductive tracks within the display in that area. I guess they’ll have to order in a replacement unit for it. What a nuisance for you.

Peter

·
Registered
MY2020 Kia e-Niro 4 ordered 1 Sept, due whenever EST approve my Scottish Government EV loan...
18 Posts
Interesting in cb20's photo that a) ISLW is present, and b) it is showing an "80" speed limit sign. Presumably this is the last thing the car saw before going on the boat in South Korea 😁

·
Registered
Kia e-niro 4
12 Posts
Mine has a similar pattern in the same place as of yesterday (car is 2 weeks old). It was pretty cold and wet outside, and I've not checked it since to see if it's still there

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My dealer said they'd never seen anything like it. Kia technical asked them to replace the instrument cluster, and we are just waiting on delivery of the replacement part. It's pricy (£1200) so needed some additional approval from Kia but as far as I'm aware they will replace it.

In my case the pattern is always there after the first few minutes of driving, and it is distracting, so there's no question about it - I had to ask for a replacement. I'd advise you to do the same asap @MatthewSt, if you think it may bother you in future :)

·
Registered
Kia e-niro 4
12 Posts
Thanks for the details @cb20. It hasn't re-appeared today but I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for it now I know how to sort it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts