Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've very recently bought a Kona and love my first electric car, however, it seems to make a strange noise up to just above 5mph as I accelerate.

It's not the speaker.

I've sent a video to the dealer and they have also had it in but say they can't hear anything. Is it me, or are they supposed to sound like this?

Many thanks,

Oliver

·
Registered
843 Posts
Seems similar to reports in this thread

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems similar to reports in this thread
Thanks for the link. I've just had a read through that one. In the start they were talking about the noise while braking but then the discussion goes to exactly what I'm experiencing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,
I've very recently bought a Kona and love my first electric car, however, it seems to make a strange noise up to just above 5mph as I accelerate.

It's not the speaker.

I've sent a video to the dealer and they have also had it in but say they can't hear anything. Is it me, or are they supposed to sound like this?

Many thanks,

Oliver
can you tell us more about the model - battery size? year and month of manufacture?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
can you tell us more about the model - battery size? year and month of manufacture?
Of course. Make and model = Hyundai Kona Electric SUV (204ps) Premium SE 64kWh 7kW OBC. Date of registration = 01/09/2020. It had 601 miles when I bought it and is now on 1,537.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good Morning. Ah..ha! I have the same issue.
So my Kona is older than yours: birthday is Aug2019 and 14,000km on the clock. But the noise is only 4-5 weeks old.
I've listened very carefully to your recording several times this morning.
It has the same characteristics as mine: a ticking sound increasing with motor revs and disappearing at about 10km/h - so walking speeds only. Same rise and fall with minor throttle inputs.
Where it differs is that yours has more of a brushing sound and mine a sharper tick-tick-tick.

But my story gets a bit more complex because its intermittently there (of course it is). And I can't recognise any temperature relationship on its intensity. By that I mean sometimes its louder and sometimes softer (and when its softer its more of a brushing sound like yours). So I had it in the dealership yesterday, and of course the sound was gone by the time I had driven the 9km to get there (of course, happens every time). Notwithstanding, they put it up on the hoist and gave a thorough look-see. They said they could, maybe, hear a little sound. So we agreed I would monitor and whip it back in once it reappears.

My speculation is that after they did the 15,000km service (I went in early 13 months cos I had a charge-port door issue to fix), that was the time the sound first started up (suspicious?). It also feels to me like a motor-related cyclic sound (not wheels). Does anyone know what the rpm of the motor is at low road-speeds?

Still a mystery, but interesting to know someone else is having the experience.

Next time the sound crops up, I'll record it for you.

·
Registered
409 Posts
The OP's video does have the characteristic noise many other have complained about, IMO, and yes, it's appears to be at motor rotating frequency, 7.891 times wheel speed.
What sort of ambient temps do you two have in your area?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, in Brisbane over the last few weeks its been lows of 13-15 or so and highs of 25-30 degC.
Good question: I have a slight inclination that the problem is lessening as we get warmer weather. Or its my imagination.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The OP's video does have the characteristic noise many other have complained about, IMO, and yes, it's appears to be at motor rotating frequency, 7.891 times wheel speed.
I'm in the UK so we are around 9 to 11 degrees C at the moment.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi,

It's not the speaker.

Many thanks,

Oliver
May sound stupid but I would try starting off on a slope and change from D to N at about 2 mph to see if the noise goes away as car gathers speed.

Repeat by facing up the slope and go from R to N as car goes backwards.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good Morning. Ah..ha! I have the same issue.
So my Kona is older than yours: birthday is Aug2019 and 14,000km on the clock. But the noise is only 4-5 weeks old.
I've listened very carefully to your recording several times this morning.
It has the same characteristics as mine: a ticking sound increasing with motor revs and disappearing at about 10km/h - so walking speeds only. Same rise and fall with minor throttle inputs.
Where it differs is that yours has more of a brushing sound and mine a sharper tick-tick-tick.

But my story gets a bit more complex because its intermittently there (of course it is). And I can't recognise any temperature relationship on its intensity. By that I mean sometimes its louder and sometimes softer (and when its softer its more of a brushing sound like yours). So I had it in the dealership yesterday, and of course the sound was gone by the time I had driven the 9km to get there (of course, happens every time). Notwithstanding, they put it up on the hoist and gave a thorough look-see. They said they could, maybe, hear a little sound. So we agreed I would monitor and whip it back in once it reappears.

My speculation is that after they did the 15,000km service (I went in early 13 months cos I had a charge-port door issue to fix), that was the time the sound first started up (suspicious?). It also feels to me like a motor-related cyclic sound (not wheels). Does anyone know what the rpm of the motor is at low road-speeds?

Still a mystery, but interesting to know someone else is having the experience.

Next time the sound crops up, I'll record it for you.
it is a well known issue with the electric motor P/N: 36500-0E700 and there is a replacement that they do when this issue happens with a fixed version of the motor P/N: 36500-0E701. It cannot be fixed in any other way (1st they replace some wheel inside the diferential gearbox and 2nd they replace the motor if it is not fixed). It will become louder and louder by time. I have same electric motor, but till now (5000km) no issues, let`s see over the winter.

Here is a picture with the engine sticker (you can see it by rotating on max left the wheels (as you stay in the car) and then look on the right side of the car (as you stay in the car) down between the wheel and chassis.
20200912_222806.jpg

·
Registered
409 Posts
Well, in Brisbane over the last few weeks it's been lows of 13-15 or so and highs of 25-30 deg C.
Good question: I have a slight inclination that the problem is lessening as we get warmer weather. Or its my imagination.
I'm in the UK so we are around 9 to 11 degrees C at the moment.
Well, I ask because a surprising number of owners in Canadian weather have had this issue. Clearly those temps are not that cold. Let's try this, are either of you in the situation where highway driving speed is attained within say 3 minutes of leaving with the car being cold?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Alas, not me - its about 7-8 mins 'till I can get to 100 km/h
I drove about 60 km this morning, including freeway speeds.
Sound has not reproduced before/after nor before/after the 2 stops on the way

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did a quick calc using your ratio: looks right at walking speed its about 5 per sec
1602900309892.png

1 - 18 of 18 Posts