Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Yesterday evening my LEAF made a grating, scraping kind of noise from the front wheels. This was at a slow walking pace. All we had been doing was driving slowly through a housing estate to let the kids see people's Christmas lights!

I left it, intending to contact the Nissan garage today, but they're shut on Sundays.

I've put a video of the noise on YouTube, the link should be in this post.

Any suggestions of what the problem might be would be gratefully received. Has this happened to any of you?

Thanks.

·
Registered
559 Posts
It sounds like the protector shim (I don't know it's proper designation) has come loose or twisted from it's proper location. It is a sort of hemispherical thin metal sheet that sits around the caliper to shield against too much dirt ingress.
Remove the wheel and you should see the issue immediately. Check what you see against another wheel.

Reactions: TVEV

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds like the protector shim (I don't know it's proper designation) has come loose or twisted from it's proper location. It is a sort of hemispherical thin metal sheet that sits around the caliper to shield against too much dirt ingress.
Remove the wheel and you should see the issue immediately. Check what you see against another wheel.
Thanks Barfly, I appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
7,735 Posts
I would tend to agree with @Barfly as that being the first place to check. This video has the same kind of 'tinny' sound and shows the component involved. And how to fix quickly with a large flat blade screwdriver. After that, it's a visit to any mechanical garage as this isn't EV specific.

Edit - Just remembered that years ago I had a similar noise that on inspection proved to be a small stone that had become wedged between the disc and the shim.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,911 Posts
Sometimes a small stone gets wedged between the brake disc and this shield causing the noise to appear in a straight line as well as when turning. If so, you can often dislodge the stones by driving backwards for a few car lengths without the need to even remove the wheels. It is particularly common at this time of year with grit etc. being dumped on the roads.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
7,735 Posts
Sometimes a small stone gets wedged between the brake disc and this shield causing the noise to appear in a straight line as well as when turning. If so, you can often dislodge the stones by driving backwards for a few car lengths without the need to even remove the wheels. It is particularly common at this time of year with grit etc. being dumped on the roads.
lol - just beat me to it as I was editing the entry above.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts