Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning as I pulled away I expected the usual bong about the lane assist being offline. Instead I was inundated with errors and warning about the Electronic Stabilisation, Anti-collision Braking, and pretty much every single other driver assist tool on the car. Steering felt extra mushy and I was left a bit concerned. My dealership were initially very unhelpful but a little judicious grumpiness helped matters. However, after the meeting I was driving to all the errors were gone, everything was working as normal. I have booked it in for a snoop but am wondering if anyone else has had such a catastrophic failure of all the tech in one go?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Same thing happened to me yesterday when I was driving along and down to 35 miles range
Bong bong bong. This isn't working, this isn't working etc. Very worrying as I was on the motorway when it happened.
I continued to drive to work and everything seems ok now.
Creaky windscreen is driving me nuts though and will be speaking to the dealer about it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I was planning on bringing the windscreen up as well, it is somewhat annoying. The software is not mature at the moment, all we can hope is that it is iterated

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had an odd error the other day. After a mile or 2 of general bimbling along, I noticed that the HVAC didn't display when I turned on the - erm - HVAC. Once I'd parked up, I also noticed that the clock was just displaying dashes and the 4 icons at the top of the central display were greyed.

A quick turn off and turn back on didn't sort it, neither did a 'Factory Reset'. (Grrrr, had to turn off a load of assists and bongy bits).

Anyway, what did sort it was going shopping for a few minutes.

So my theory is that minor software glitches are sorted by turning off and letting it get to the first stage sleep mode - which generally takes about 2 minutes (as divined in the pre-update granny-delay threads) - before turning it back on.

Hope that is helpful.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had an interesting experience when driving down the M6 from Manchester through the road works.

I was driving in the south going fast lane which had been directed to the northbound carriageway contra flow and was protected by
3ft high concrete protection barriers either side of the lane. After about a minute of driving at 50mph with cruise control on a warning came up saying 'lane following inoperative' followed by 'emergancy stop system inoperative', followed another saying 'pedestrian detection inoperative' followed ( i think) by 'MG pilot off 'or something. Anyhow I believe the reason for this is that the walls were restricting the view of the forward camera and after a certain delay the systems shut down.
After leaving the walled in lane all systems restored to normal.
Just something to watch out for.

·
Registered
213 Posts
This morning as I pulled away I expected the usual bong about the lane assist being offline. Instead I was inundated with errors and warning about the Electronic Stabilisation, Anti-collision Braking, and pretty much every single other driver assist tool on the car. Steering felt extra mushy and I was left a bit concerned. My dealership were initially very unhelpful but a little judicious grumpiness helped matters. However, after the meeting I was driving to all the errors were gone, everything was working as normal. I have booked it in for a snoop but am wondering if anyone else has had such a catastrophic failure of all the tech in one go?
The exact same thing happened to me on Wednesday (yesterday) evening. I pulled over and checked the warnings and there were the exact 5 warnings listed! I turned everything off and back on but the same warning and lots of Bong Bongs. I had to go somewhere so I drove the 10 miles and acceleration seemed as if the brakes were dragging until I parked up. When I got back everything was normal and all the warnings in the menus were cleared too. It hasn't happened today!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yes, I was planning on bringing the windscreen up as well, it is somewhat annoying. The software is not mature at the moment, all we can hope is that it is iterated
Me too! I thought it was an isolated case perhaps the bonding of scree to the bodywork!

·
Registered
213 Posts
my theory is that minor software glitches are sorted by turning off and
I think it is getting out and locking the car . Just turn it off and on again just puts it into stand by or sleep and doesn't shut it down as getting physically out and locking the car does

·
Registered
213 Posts
'pedestrian detection inoperative'
Yes I think you're right about the 'pedestrian detection inoperative' it appears to all be part of the one system. My wife has completely lost confidence in the car now. It was bad enough when I had all the safety systems shut down on me yesterday evening but now she knows it's happened to others this week! she is really really nervous and distrustful of the car.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I thought that was just mine doing that and that's not to mention the squeaky rear wiper which kicks off after a few minutes driving - It's not that the glass is dry either!
Detected similar noise on my rear wiper for the first time too earlier this week.
The braking noises are a little bit concerning too.
I've had a zoe and an ionic previously and neither of those exhibited any of the problems I'm seeing in the MG.
I love the car, but beginning to have my doubts about its durability.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think it is getting out and locking the car . Just turn it off and on again just puts it into stand by or sleep and doesn't shut it down as getting physically out and locking the car does
Yes, sorry. Locking is necessary, but I would also wait a couple of minutes before unlocking again to give it time to shut down. So you get the MG logo on the touchscreen as it reboots.

I've just tested, and you don't reboot the central screen (including logo) if you just turn off, then lock and unlock again then turn on a few seconds later.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Creaky windscreen is driving me nuts though and will be speaking to the dealer about it.
@Flyingstoo has been able to locate the issue with the front windscreen creaking wind screen and found a fix !.
Mine has the same problem, some times you can hear it emulating from over on the passengers side, then some times it is on the drivers side, sounds like it is right in front of the steering wheel.
The noise I can hear coming from the passengers side ( while I am driving ) sounds like a cross between a rattle and a tight creaking trim noise.
If you are outside of the car and in the location where the rubber seal contacts against the front windscreen, if you push down on the rubber seal with your fingers, you can replicate the same creaking noise you can hear inside of the cabin.
I just need to find the time to investigate how to lubricate this seal, at the point where it comes into contact with the front wind screen glass.
I think @Flyingstoo was able to remove some of the screws that secure the windscreen wiper cover and then lub the seal with a type of silicone grease and refit the cover ?.
He has cancelled a planed appointment to the dealer in order to fix this problem, on the pure strength of his ability to find a fix to this problem himself !.
I am also hoping to be as successful in curing this irritating creaking noise WITHOUT having to pay a visit the dealer, which is a 140 mile around trip O.B.T.W.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It has been a couple of days and the errors have not returned. I still have it booked in for investigation next week. As for fault tracing myself, whilst this is a point of interest and something I do like to do, the car is brand new so anything less than perfect can be dealt with by the dealership. Warranty is there for a reason and too much faffing around can lead to one of those sensitive little clauses being invalidated.

As far as I am concerned the windscreen will need to be fixed, we all know what the issue is so I will see if the garage fobs me off, and I want to see the error log for the ECU.

There is zero point in having the peace of mind that warranty on a new car brings without using it

·
Registered
161 Posts
It has been a couple of days and the errors have not returned. I still have it booked in for investigation next week. As for fault tracing myself, whilst this is a point of interest and something I do like to do, the car is brand new so anything less than perfect can be dealt with by the dealership. Warranty is there for a reason and too much faffing around can lead to one of those sensitive little clauses being invalidated.

As far as I am concerned the windscreen will need to be fixed, we all know what the issue is so I will see if the garage fobs me off, and I want to see the error log for the ECU.

There is zero point in having the peace of mind that warranty on a new car brings without using it
Please keep us updated as I don’t fancy wasting my time dealing with the dealer if I’m just going to get fobbed off. I notice mine a lot when going over large bumps in the road or speed bumps etc.

I will be honest and say that I though maybe there were present on old car but never noticed due to engine noises.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Y
Please keep us updated as I don’t fancy wasting my time dealing with the dealer if I’m just going to get fobbed off. I notice mine a lot when going over large bumps in the road or speed bumps etc.

I will be honest and say that I though maybe there were present on old car but never noticed due to engine noises.
Yeah - When the body flex’s from one side to another, like mounting a speed bump etc.
You can hear the tight creaking noise.
Also, if the road surface suddenly becomes very broken or uneven, you can hear the creaking from the dash board area then.
When the road is extremely smooth, there is no creaking at all.
It appears to be worse when the ambient temperature is really cold, which makes perfect sense of course.
Your correct, the fact that the car is so silent at slower speeds, just makes the creaking noise harder to deal with.
If the car was powered by one of them noisy oil burners, I guess you would be hard pushed to hear the creaking over the rattle of the engine.
One of the downsides of electrifying any car, it really shows how good the build quality really is.
The slightest rattle or squeak can be heard straight away !.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,135 Posts
Its not body flex, if it was you would soon know as your windscreen would crack or your skyroof would implode. Its the plastic trim along the bottom of the windscreen, some had it fixed recently.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Its not body flex, if it was you would soon know as your windscreen would crack or your skyroof would implode. Its the plastic trim along the bottom of the windscreen, some had it fixed recently.
I know what it is and I know how to fix it.
But you appear to know more about the car that you don’t even own yet ?.
You will have the same problem very shortly.
The problem is not present when the car is at a stand still, unless you pull on the roof rail to rock the car from side to side, then the creaking can be clearly heard.
Therefore something is flexing other wise you could not reproduce it.
The hard rubber seal that is a foul condition with the glass is producing the creaking noise.
Not unlike a wiper blade that has become hard with age and makes that horrible noise as it is dragged across the glass.
A short term fix is to remove the rubber gasket and apply a silicone lubricate and refit.
@Flyingstoo has already found and rectified the problem using the above fix.
Long term fix though is a redesign of the fixture or the material in the gasket it’s self.
Or maybe even both !.

·
Registered
213 Posts
While on the subject of strange errors, (and I've already said I have had the cascade of safety system errors) the past couple weeks I've also had unexplained beeping without any indication of what issue or warning they might be associated with. it is usually 4 beeps at approximately half-second intervals, but sometimes only 3 beeps and occasionally as many as 6 beeps. There seems to be rhyme or reason as to when or where it happens but it was happening several times a journey within the first 3 to 4 miles of home, whichever route I would take, then I had a sudden shut down of the main screen followed by a reboot after three lots of these beeps in 4 to 5-minute drive. Since then (2 weeks ago) it has only happened a couple more times. Has anyone else had these (the rapid beeps not the screen reboot I mean)?

·
Zoe Devotee
9,135 Posts
But you appear to know more about the car that you don’t even own yet ?.
You will have the same problem very shortly.
The problem is not present when the car is at a stand still, unless you pull on the roof rail to rock the car from side to side, then the creaking can be clearly heard.
Therefore something is flexing other wise you could not reproduce it.
A short term fix is to remove the rubber gasket and apply a silicone lubricate and refit.

Cheers Mate! I wouldn't wish a fault on anyone but hey ho! Seems more folk don't have the issue than do, so maybe you have a lemon?

Not sure about your next statements, you rock the car and you hear a creak.... from a gasket... so that's moving then, not body flex.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts