Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

While driving yesterday I was startled by a sudden warning chime (about 2 seconds long) and a loss of power. The loss of power wasn't complete; I would estimate it at around 25% loss of power.

Had a quick look in the manual but couldn't find any obvious explanation for it.

In another vehicle I might have assumed that it was some faulty FCW system, but the 2017-19 Kia Soul EV doesn't have an FCW.

Has anyone here had this happen to them, or know what this is and why it happened? Worth calling the dealer about?

Have uploaded a video:

Thanks,
Sascha

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, definitely weird. It didn’t have that ticking sound / feedback that I’ve experienced when I’ve felt the traction control kick in on some snow / ice.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,718 Posts
Did you hit a bump, or odd feature, in the road?

The traction control system will be designed that if it detect some anomalous surface roughness then it will derate everything, power, brakes, the lot. This is because there is a moment where if the tyres spin or lock simultaneously the car won't know how to stabilise a skid.

·
Registered
229 Posts
You say your car does not have forward collision warning does it have autonomous emergency braking (AEB) from the video it was just as you were about to pass that parked car. I wonder if it thought you were going to hit it. If you have it it will be in the driver settings accessed from the mode button on the steering wheel. Otherwise I have not a clue. Was there a warning message on the dashboard cluster?

·
Registered
Leaf e+ 62kwh https://share.octopus.energy/quiet-puma-274
711 Posts
My Nissan has done this a few times & it's been the AEB activating momentarily when passing a vehicle that's pulling off in front of me or when I've passed a stationary one... I can see & work out my route is clear but the computers parameters don't always agree..
All this tech comes with limitations & can get caught out occasionally ( just like us )

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Might be worth checking the 12v battery in case it’s a bit low and causing some grelims in the electrics
Will do - thanks for the suggestion.

Did you hit a bump, or odd feature, in the road?
No, this road is quite smooth and better than a lot of the rural roads in the area.

You say your car does not have forward collision warning does it have autonomous emergency braking (AEB)
Apologies, I said FCW when I meant AEB. The 2018 Soul doesn't have AEB, one of the very few things I don't like about the vehicle.

As an aside, I remember reading that Land Rovers don't come with AEB as standard. Is that correct? Hardly seems appropriate for such expensive / overpriced cars.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts