Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have the pleasure of visiting stratford in the near future!
However, looking at zap map and plugshare the charging situation looks a bit bleak!
Anyone got any tips on where there's actually any working chargers? I'm not bothered about speed so long as it's not a 3 pin plug.
I notice there's three...THREE rapids at evesham ?!
Also arbury leamington nissan dealer, but no idea how busy they get or how difficult they make it, apparently also the charger is slighly dodgy. It will be weekend.

Also what on earth is this e car club thing? Reserved charging spaces in the stratford park and ride? What shoddiness is this? Is that scheme definitely retired or is there still a chance of getting a ticket for parking in there?

Cheers for any info!! Having trouble deciding whether to try to charge in leamington or go over to evesham. Will be coming down from the north on the M40 most likely.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What about Welcome Break at Hopwood Services on the M42, it's 20 miles from there to Stratford.
It's an option yes - it's the wrong way down the M40 though, but yes it's one of the options, sorry forgot to mention that, too busy getting annoyed about the idea of reserved spaces!!
Edit: oops reread...hang on...M42....oh I see it, yes, near bromsgrove - that could work!

Chartered Engineer
Hopwood is pretty good with two Electric Highway rapids both with CHAdeMO. Evesham has one CYC rapid at the Leisure centre and two CYC ones at the Country Park. The Welcome Break Warwick services also has Electric Highway rapids but the only time I tried using them they were both out of action and apparently are not reliable so I wouldn't rely on them. There is also apparently a single CYC rapid in Redditch at the Greenlands Business Centre although I've never visited it

The only chargers I know of in Stratford upon Avon are POLAR 3kW type 2s in the Church Street and Bridgeway car parks. I think you can use them on a PAYG basis with the POLAR app but I've never tried.

Registered
Travelling down the M42 then M40 to Stratford, your best bet for a rapid is Arbury Nissan in Leamington Spa.
CHAdeMO handle / lever (old type) can be a bit fiddly, but I've always managed to get it to work.

Detouring to Redditch (via M42 J3 or J2) you have the half speed PolarPlus / CYC rapid at the Abbey Sports Stadium. So slow it's annoying.
The Greenlands Business Park rapid on Polar / CYC has never once worked. I used to work 1/4 mile from it and tried it many times. Now I wouldn't bother even turning into the location to have a look.

Evesham Country Park (now renamed The Valley) at the intersection of the A435 and A46 is a great location. Two nice fast Polar / CYC rapids. Toilets in retail park. Not 24 hour access though. After using head back up the A435 (towards Birmingham) and turn right (third exit) at the next / first roundabout (about 3 or four miles). Drive through Bidford-on-Avon to Stratford. Much shorter than the route signed, which keeps you on the A46.
Every mile counts in an EV :)
Evesham is not really a good location though on the way to Stratford from your direction.
The rapid in Evesham town is apparently often out of order.

Have used the type 2 charger in the Church Street car park in Stratford. Free on CYC, at the time. Two bays, hidden at the back of a wall, one of them all signed up for some car club or other.

As mentioned at M42 J2 you have two Ecotricity Electric Highway rapids at Hopwood Park services.

I'd just head for Arbury at Leamington and blag some free leccy and a coffee.
By far the closest rapid to Stratford.

I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
I tried charging there 4 years ago in the Fluence. Spent several weeks (it was an upcoming visit) trying to understand where/what/how via emails with the Council.

Basically, many 拢thousands had been thrown at charge points that no-one could use (probably deliberately was my conclusion, so the installers would not have to maintain them) and that the Council wanted to insist it proved they were 'green' even though they could offer me no charging opportunity at all.

I took the diesel Scenic.

Pathetic.

Possibly worse than pathetic, it sounded like fraud to me.

This wasn't the only example. Hence whenever I now hear about 'public charging' I always presume in the first instance there is some fraud involved.

Super Moderator
I've used the church street one no problem, I think it was my plugged in Midlands card that operated it. That was about two years ago so things may have changed I guess?

Registered
There's a twin 7kW unit in the Bridgefoot Car Park and a twin 7kw unit in the Church Street car park. Both are on Polar Plus/Plugged-in Midlands, and work with those RFID cards (not the app).

The car-club reserved space has gone from the Bridgefoot car park, so both type 2 sockets are available to the public. The Church Street car park during the day is for council staff only, but if you press the intercom and say you want to use the charger they'll let you in. The car park is fully open after 18:00 and at weekends.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Guys - thanks for the help.

Thankfully I found it easier than I expected, arrived at the stratford park and ride (bridgefoot) expecting the single charge socket to be in use, but found nobody on it at all, and also as mentioned there's not one but two other posts at the other end of the park and ride, this wasn't terribly clear. So that was a total of five type 2 sockets and one 13A plug as far as I could see, and nobody seemed to be using them the whole time I was there (4+ hours!). Perhaps weekdays it sees more use. I even took the granny cable with me, expecting that to be the only free one!

From there I went straight across west to webbs of wychbold which I'm not sure I'd have wanted to do without a charge in stratford - it's quite hilly and some particularly rural roads! Upon arrival, in the rapid space was a diesel hybrid land rover (a thing apparently) which didn't plug in I don't think, ho hum, luckily he was just leaving so I was straight in. Topped up again @ 9p/kWh, had a look round the behemoth that is webbs of wychbold (that place gets bigger every time I go) then went home. Webbs is actually a pretty decent place to put a rapid, but I wish they'd repaint the space and make the sign that says "recharging only, max stay 1 hour" more obvious instead of it being half hidden and sideways. Easy to miss.

I think if I'd not managed to charge at stratford I'd have probably tried to go to redditch with hopwood park as a backup, I'm not a fan of nissan garages, the one near is isn't rude particularly, but begrudging definitely. I know, 3 days a week in the nissan promise, but they make me feel like they can't wait to get rid and get their own leafs parked back in there. The one time, the sales manager or some other suit came out no less than three times during my 30 minute charge and looked desperately at the meter before going back in. Bit rude actually now I think about it. It's not like I go there often, three times ever! Arbury might be better!

p.s. it does still say car club on two of the spaces in bridgefoot.

Registered
Stratford is great for charging. All the chargers are 7kw. If you use the church Street carpark in the daytime it's free as it's only a pay and display outside of work hours. However only one of the two units is working. The exit code can be found on PlugShare. All Stratford chargers are open network, you can start them with any card. Bridgefoot has 2 x 7kw in the bottom deck. If you leave after 6pm the barrier just opens. To the south of Stratford, there is a pub in Alderminster that has a 7kw available and serves great food. There is also a hotel a mile further south with 6 x 13amp sockets available if you stay.

The Evesham rapids are dodgy. 2 are locked up at night and one is round the trade entrance of the leisure centre and you also don't want to be there after dark.

The Redditch rapids are also in some dubious locations and after dark charging needs to be avoided.

Ecotricity at Hopwood park and Gaydon services. Gaydon back entrance slip roads are open 24/7vand you are never challenged.

From the north, 22kw ecotricity free posts at Leicester forest East and of course the chargemaster rapid at Kenilworth (polar).

There are also private home charge points surrounding Stratford including mine which you are free to use if you would like a nice pub meal by the side of the river (Bidford-on-Avon). Hope you have a great stay, anymore quest please ask.

Registered
The ones in the Church Street car parks work great. I have used these many times.
They are 32 amp and FREE You just need an RFID card.
Plugged In Midland, Ecotricity, Polar they all seem to work.

The E-Car club is now gone and never took off. So all bays open for all EV drivers.

Registered
We had no problems using the chargers at the park and ride last year. Parking is free, just pay for the fare. We stayed at Billesley Manor who obligingly let us use a 13 amp socket.

Registered
There's a twin 7kW unit in the Bridgefoot Car Park and a twin 7kw unit in the Church Street car park. Both are on Polar Plus/Plugged-in Midlands, and work with those RFID cards (not the app).

The car-club reserved space has gone from the Bridgefoot car park, so both type 2 sockets are available to the public. The Church Street car park during the day is for council staff only, but if you press the intercom and say you want to use the charger they'll let you in. The car park is fully open after 18:00 and at weekends.
They are open network

Registered
Evesham Country Park (now renamed The Valley) at the intersection of the A435 and A46 is a great location. Two nice fast Polar / CYC rapids. Toilets in retail park. Not 24 hour access though.
Used yesterday - didn't like my CYC RFID, but PolarPlus worked fine and was at a cheaper monetary rate too :D
Good point for toilets and food stop; not many outlet shops but that means the chargers are less likely to be in use.

As it happens i think i got a free charge, the kWh registered 0.0 at the end of the charge.

Was a bit worried when i saw a golf buggy parked in the neighbouring parking space - not sure we have an equivalent term to ICE'd for blocked by golf buggy !

Registered
Used yesterday - didn't like my CYC RFID, but PolarPlus worked fine and was at a cheaper monetary rate too :D
Good point for toilets and food stop; not many outlet shops but that means the chargers are less likely to be in use.

As it happens i think i got a free charge, the kWh registered 0.0 at the end of the charge.

Was a bit worried when i saw a golf buggy parked in the neighbouring parking space - not sure we have an equivalent term to ICE'd for blocked by golf buggy !
All good except they lock the gates overnight.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts