Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Banned
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we have 8 charge points in this fabulous town of ours. Well, that's what our fabulous council would have you believe.

2 are 13amp sockets

4 are occupied by e-car club

1 is an apt unit that is constantly faulty.

Don't get me wrong, the e car club is a great scheme that champions our cause, but when full the council need to put more charge points up.

Is anyone else on here local to stratford that can help push the council for more?

·
Registered
Leaf 40
866 Posts
Well that saves me posting to enquire. I'll be in Stratford in two weeks, hoping to travel up in the Leaf. Will make sure I take all the charging opportunities on the M40 then!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Did you forget the park and ride Chargemaster branded Plugged in Midlands mapped one? 13 Amp and 7Kw except;
I have tried to use it 3 times.
First time new CM card (before payments), no go, called helpline they had me do some card swiping with over the phone instructions to get the white list and software to update, 20 minutes later on my mobile I had finally helped them to fix it. Couldn't drive as long off the charge as the fix took!:rolleyes:

Second time I went to try new Chargemaster App, spent another 30 minutes out of curiosity and gave up, another fail!

Last time (in more ways than one) I went with my new chargeable Chargemaster card, still doesn't work, best part is you now have to pay to use the bus to use the chargepoint whether or not it works or you can't get out of the car park! Another 20 minutes wasted on that post and ten more sweet talking the barrier operative who EVentually conceeded defeat and gave me a token!

Any one else ever managed to use it?

Another disgrace:mad:

·
Banned
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Darren. Get in touch and let me know when your up and I'll leave my charge point on just encase. Your welcome to use it and if I'm in you can have a cup of tea too.

Gbev, are you local to me?

If either of you are interested I've got the email address of the councillor who is responsible???

·
Registered
964 Posts
Darren. Get in touch and let me know when your up and I'll leave my charge point on just encase. Your welcome to use it and if I'm in you can have a cup of tea too.

Gbev, are you local to me?

If either of you are interested I've got the email address of the councillor who is responsible???
Near Banbury, but in terms of local charging infrastructure sadly Stratford is the nearest!
A councilllor being responsible could be an oxymoron but fire away by all means, we need to hold a mirror to them;).

·
Registered
Leaf 40
866 Posts
That's incredibly kind of you thanks!

·
Banned
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gbev, as you said, you have to get on a bus to get out of the car park for the park and ride ones. It takes about an hour to get into town on a bus from that side sometimes.

·
Registered
327 Posts
So we have 8 charge points in this fabulous town of ours. Well, that's what our fabulous council would have you believe.

2 are 13amp sockets

4 are occupied by e-car club

1 is an apt unit that is constantly faulty.

Don't get me wrong, the e car club is a great scheme that champions our cause, but when full the council need to put more charge points up.

Is anyone else on here local to stratford that can help push the council for more?
In which case I will visit Hereford instead..

·
Registered
964 Posts
Just sent this to the local councillor "in charge". In the unlikely event I get a response I will post here.

Hello,

I understand you may be responsible for electric car charging in Stratford on Avon. I have done 22,000 miles in a year in our Nissan Leaf.

However I do wonder how Stratford chargers have ended up so unusable to electric vehicle owners?

I have read comments of similar experiences to mine on the electric car forums.

I hope you are interested in my experiences so far which are;

In 3 charging attempts I have managed to start a charge once only after 20 minutes on my mobile to the notoriously useless chargemaster plc who had no idea your plugged in midlands mapped point in the Stratford Park and Ride was their post! I had to take actions on the spot to help them start it.

Needless to say I couldn’t drive for as long after the charge as it took to get it started and it has never worked since either using their phone application or RFID card and I had them send me a second one to test!

The last attempt I had to ask for a token to get out of the car park again to go find a charger that works elsewhere.

I live in a village near Banbury and have given up visiting Stratford in an electric car.

There is a company called Zero Carbon World who install very reliable charge points and they are a charity so provide their hardware for free. Just installation costs to pay for. Here is a link http://zerocarbonworld.org/ you can get more information clicking on the link free charging stations.

I hope that helps and look forward to your reply in the hope something might change in the future.

Regards

·
Registered
964 Posts
Plugged In Midlands map shows the same picture for 3 different mapped chargepoints in the Stratford Park and Ride, it has 3 EV bays, does that picture represent any of them? I have never seen that and I think there is only one post!

·
Banned
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So the park and ride has 1 post( 1x 13amp socket & 17kw connection). You have to validate your ticket on a park and ride bus to exit the barriers. Why the council think any ev driver would choose to park and ride on a smelly diesel bus is beyond me. Especially as there are ev points(4,of which only 1 works) in the town centre. The park and ride car park is also locked at night. The Stratford parkway carpark(railway station) has 2 posts (1x13amp and 1x7kw per post) and 4 bays next to each other. Both of these have e-car club cars plugged into them leaving 13amp sockets for you to boil a kettle on. The parkway station is 24hr. Interestingly, both of the above locations are chargemaster and run by Warwick district council and the 4 in town are apt units run by Stratford council.

·
Registered
964 Posts
So the park and ride has 1 post( 1x 13amp socket & 17kw connection). You have to validate your ticket on a park and ride bus to exit the barriers. Why the council think any ev driver would choose to park and ride on a smelly diesel bus is beyond me. Especially as there are ev points(4,of which only 1 works) in the town centre. The park and ride car park is also locked at night. The Stratford parkway carpark(railway station) has 2 posts (1x13amp and 1x7kw per post) and 4 bays next to each other. Both of these have e-car club cars plugged into them leaving 13amp sockets for you to boil a kettle on. The parkway station is 24hr. Interestingly, both of the above locations are chargemaster and run by Warwick district council and the 4 in town are apt units run by Stratford council.
I thought so, so Plugged in Midlands shows three different post locations where there is only one. Furthermore the same picture they show for all 3 of them is actually of none of them and totally unrelated to what you would be looking for should you be silly enough to try to use them!:rolleyes: You couldn't make it up:mad:.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have just e-mailed the following message to Mike Brain & Olly Scholefield at Stratford district council:

My wife and I visit Stratford a number of times per year to visit your excellent shops, eat a quick meal in town and then attend a world-class Royal Shakespeare Theatre performance.

We have been driving an electric Nissan Leaf for more than 3 years now and always use it to visit Stratford. However, I have to endorse the comments you have recently received from other EV drivers concerning the Stratford EV chargers. Half are blocked by e-Cars and others are faulty.

The Stratford park & ride facility is definitely not a convenient facility. The slow EV chargers there are never usable because of the operator, ChargeMaster being totally incompetent and having no interest in making the EV chargers work as expected - despite the public subsidy.

On the other hand, the EV charger located in the council car park works OK but it is of course not available to the public during the week in the daytime. Here again the Type 2 charger is blocked by an e-Car Zoe, leaving just one 13 amp AC power outlet available at weekends & evenings.

We have found from experience that we have to avoid needing to charge our EV in Stratford. It is therefore surprising to hear that the council believes the present situation is satisfactory!

1 - 20 of 130 Posts