Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
i have a 2014 Nissan Leaf and was alerted about the front strut covers and water etc.

Just checked mine. Images in link.

2nd pic is AFTER I cleaned it up a bit. poked it a bit and then hoover. Looking rusty.
1st is my temp solution. Found a cap and it just inserts to the inside parameter of the circle. Not sure how well it will work. just kinda sits there, not very secure. if water hits it, it will stop going in to bolt area, but just push it somewhere else. What do ye think?

Is there a need to sort with WD40 or similiar?

I see the strut covers on eBay are 15 Euro + postage from uk of another 5. Saucy for what they are.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
When I first spotted this ridiculous design failure some six years ago I cleaned out the water and looked for an instant cover. First to hand was a small empty tin of tuna which covered the entire circular area and its weight held it in place for a couple of weeks whilst I looked for a better long term alternative. I tried cutting 2" from the bottom of a 2-litre plastic coke bottle which fitted but was a bit flimsy. Then found a particular brand of yoghurt with its empty pot being a perfect push fit over the outer rim. Upside down, the base was perfectly shaped to shed water away and that fix stayed in place as an interference fit for the next three years. I see that there are many 3D printed versions out there now and for sure they are a more aesthetically pleasing solution but as this area is out of sight I never felt it to be an issue having a plastic yoghurt pot as part of the car's equipment.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I got alerted to this shortly after buying my leaf
I went down the buy from eBay route and covered the cleaned up struts in chain wax and put the covers on
Look great but once the plastic covers are back in place you can't see a thing??
If I was doing it with another leaf I'd do the chain wax bit but cover them with cut down bottle ends or yoghurt pot bases (big ones)
Can't be seen once covered up and would be a lot cheaper

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t have chain wax.
I have wd 40, silicone lubricant and some Lidl grease I got with an sds drill.
Any of these any good?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wd40 would be perfect
I used chain wax as I had a tin that was closer to hand than my wd40 so give them a clean up and squirt them in wd40 👍

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wd40 would be perfect
I used chain wax as I had a tin that was closer to hand than my wd40 so give them a clean up and squirt them in wd40 👍
So would I just spray wd 40 in around the area and then gently wipe Dry with an old t shirt etc?

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
841 Posts
I was going to put some rust remover in the well then rinse it out before drying and greasing?

Can I harm anything with rust remover?

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Mechanics for generations have just covered that top strut area, especially the nut, with a large blob of grease. But people these days tend not to own a grease gun. And buying a tin just for two blobs is a waste. Try a visit to a service garage and beg a couple of finger fulls in a plassy bag.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wd40 will help with rust removal as it helps to stop it sticking to the base metal once it loosens it
I'm not sure if rust remover will cause any problems at all but I'd still use some form of oil or as above some grease would be perfect
Most garages once you tell them why will let you have a couple of fingers full I'm sure

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
841 Posts
Mechanics for generations have just covered that top strut area, especially the nut, with a large blob of grease. But people these days tend not to own a grease gun. And buying a tin just for two blobs is a waste. Try a visit to a service garage and beg a couple of finger fulls in a plassy bag.
I have never greased owt in my life, so ordered some, and your right I now have a VERY large tub of the stuff!

Still I'm sure it will come in handy for car doors and bits

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Still I'm sure it will come in handy for car doors and bits
Yes.

There is the old saying that when the only tool you have is a hammer then any problem has to look like a nail. You will now decide that everything needs a good greasing. P'raps not everything :) - but almost.

·
Registered
Leaf e+ 62kwh
685 Posts
I spray grease on the top of suspension struts whenever I can access them on all my customers cars as standard when I service them + I also do brake unions & any moving parts... I'm old school & was taught this from my apprentice days, makes parts last longer & repairs are so much easier if needed...
It's like grease has become obsolete in recent yrs at garages & manufacturers..

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hi
i have a 2014 Nissan Leaf and was alerted about the front strut covers and water etc.

Just checked mine. Images in link.

2nd pic is AFTER I cleaned it up a bit. poked it a bit and then hoover. Looking rusty.
1st is my temp solution. Found a cap and it just inserts to the inside parameter of the circle. Not sure how well it will work. just kinda sits there, not very secure. if water hits it, it will stop going in to bolt area, but just push it somewhere else. What do ye think?

Is there a need to sort with WD40 or similiar?

I see the strut covers on eBay are 15 Euro + postage from uk of another 5. Saucy for what they are.

How do ye think my fix looks?

It’s a hard plastic lid. Fits inside the inner circle, just kinda sits on, its not stuck on etc.

Is this ok?

If not, is there any definitive household
Item that will fit?

I know yoghurt cartoons were mentioned but I could be weeks buying yogurt trying to find the right one 🤪

·
Registered
15 Posts
How do ye think my fix looks?

It’s a hard plastic lid. Fits inside the inner circle, just kinda sits on, its not stuck on etc.

Is this ok?

If not, is there any definitive household
Item that will fit?

I know yoghurt cartoons were mentioned but I could be weeks buying yogurt trying to find the right one 🤪
If you want yoghurt pots Muller Light will work (just look for the individual ones rather than the multi packs which are fixed together - and remember to wash them out before fitting!). For a more aesthetic solution see here Front Suspension Strut Covers for Nissan LEAF | eBay

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also, my father has a grease gun which he uses on the farm for greasing up machinery parts.
Will the grease in this gun work for my needs?

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Thanks for the note. Is it the actual pot you used or the lid?
The upturned pot is a push fit over the entire circular area and keeps water and crud out of the whole assembly. In fact, its a better solution than the lids sold on Ebay as they only cover the inner bolt and nut fitment. Have a look at the photo in the post by @Montehampster. That 3D printed cover does not protect the entire outer circular area at all. Any grease applied to the inner nut and bolt will be fine and normal machine protection is ideal.

There are two issues over suspension connections. One is that if allowed to corrode the nut becomes impossible to remove if the spring ever needs replacing after hitting a pothole - turning an easy repair into an expensive one.

Another is a longer-term problem of the surrounding metal rusting and becoming weak. Then, that same pothole will cause the entire suspension unit to break through that weak metal and become a write off expense problem. A large enough yoghurt pot covers the entire outer circular area ( seen in that Ebay photo ) and sheds water from the places at risk.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you.
I have already cleaned the area out and also gave it a vacuum to get away all debris.

So would this be the Next steps.

1. Spray wd40 over the area (do I spray in to the too of the bolt also) and leave dry for 24 hours.
2. Apply grease to the area. (Where do I apply the grease, all over or just on the nut and bolt)
3. Cover with the upside down muller pot!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts