Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to try the new Ionity chargers since I needed to charge anyway and they were on my way home.

First charger, tried to communicate and came up with an error.

Second charger, connected the cable and the car took it and wouldn't let go 馃槦, and the charge wouldn't even start.

Phoned Ionity, they couldn't release the cable but did manage to get me going with the charge. I figured once it finished the session being shut down properly would result in the car releasing the cable.

Unfortunately this wasn't the case. Phoned Ionity again and they rebooted the charger several times (they run Linux of anybody is interested) but the car is refusing to release the cable. They advised me to contact Renault.

Phoned Renault, they've called someone out. The charger is now in a state I can't restart the charge either (was going to try starting and terminating it again, or maybe wait until it gets to 100%)

Does anybody have any tips for forcing a Zoe ZE50 to release a cable? Bored of waiting and tried the obvious stuff already.

Registered
The e-Niro has an emergency charger release inside the bonnet. Look in your manual. Lift and release 3 times I think on the Kia. Also if you have the auto/lock button for charging inside the car, try to change between auto and unlock. Might work. Also if you've been tugging on the Ionity charger try pushing it in before you pull again. That's worked for me before on Ionity. Sometimes pulling it keeps the locking mechanism engaged and won't release until pushed back in fully.

Registered
From a post in the Zoe area if the forums:

鈥淚've unlocked the cable using the fob unlock button from our home charger, although I couldn't get it to release the CCS cable the other day after I'd stopped the charge on the charger, I had to use the button on the dash. So, not sure if there's an additional pin for CCS which isn't released with the fob button..鈥

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
The e-Niro has an emergency charger release inside the bonnet. Look in your manual. Lift and release 3 times I think on the Kia. Also if you have the auto/lock button for charging inside the car, try to change between auto and unlock. Might work. Also if you've been tugging on the Ionity charger try pushing it in before you pull again. That's worked for me before on Ionity. Sometimes pulling it keeps the locking mechanism engaged and won't release until pushed back in fully.
It was out slightly, pushed it back in but still not releasing.

Can't see anything in the manual about an emergency release in the bonnet.

Did try double-locking it and wandering off. When I come back I hear a whirr from the socket, but can't release it either before or after.

The car is stuck saying "checking in progress".

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
From a post in the Zoe area if the forums:

鈥淚've unlocked the cable using the fob unlock button from our home charger, although I couldn't get it to release the CCS cable the other day after I'd stopped the charge on the charger, I had to use the button on the dash. So, not sure if there's an additional pin for CCS which isn't released with the fob button..鈥
Interesting. Neither button seems to do anything.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Wiggle the plug (especially upwards) as you repeatedly press unlock on your fob.

There is probably too much load on the locking pin.
A-ha! Got it!

I wonder if I just wasn't being forceful enough (or was the angle as you said). These connectors usually glide in and out really easily.

I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
Angle of dangle.

Possibly too forceful (as you might well be inclined to, after a while!)

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Brand new connector so maybe snugger fit or catching on something if not pulled out exactly right, and maybe the push in - pull out approach helped too! Now I have to hope I don't get stung for not paying the over 3 hour extortionate parking charge. I don't think I was there quite that long but probably pretty close...

Thanks all!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts