Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

My name is Cheryl and I am a final year student at Glasgow Caledonian University. I am currently undertaking my dissertation about electric vehicles and I am looking for some of you lovely people to answer a few questions about being an electric car owner!

I have attached the questionnaire below and if you could either copy and paste your answers into the forum or email the questions back to me at: [email protected]

Any help from yourselves would be very very much appreciated, thank you again in advance!

Cheryl:)

________________________________________________________________________________

ELECTRIC CAR QUESTIONNAIRE:

Participant Disclaimer:
This questionnaire is to determine research data in conjunction with an undergraduate dissertation. All information will be used purely for data collection purposes and participant’s identities will remain anonymous. All participants must be aged over 18, can be guaranteed confidentiality in their answers and may stop answering the questionnaire at any stage. Participants should also be reminded that they may not benefit personally from the research being carried out.

Question 1:
Is there a noticeable difference between these cars and regular petrol/diesel cars in terms of performance and running etc?

Question 2:
Do you feel that these cars are easy to run in the United Kingdom currently? i.e. considering accessible plug-in points, supply and demand etc.

Question 3:
What are the main factors that would convince people to buy an electric/hybrid car over their cheaper alternatives?

Question 4:
Do you feel that a further government enhancement will encourage more people to consider buying
an electric/hybrid car?

Question 5:
Given that there are currently cheaper cars available on the market, why did you choose an electric/hybrid over their petrol/diesel alternative?

Question 6:
Do you have any other comments about electric/hybrid cars overall?

(Optional Info)
Name:
Email:
Make/Model of Current Car:

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I would expect a student to have a university email account. Using a this type of address always makes me think of email harvesting which I'm sure is not the case.
Normally (at least once a week) surveys are posted here using Google forms and similar see various past posts this is a first I think
alan

Reactions: Neilew

·
Super Moderator
12,237 Posts
Q1: Electric cars are less expensive to run.

Q2: For everyday use they are easy to run. Here in North Wales, the current models are not easy to run for journeys over about 200 miles. Wales has limited rapid charger infrastructure with big "holes" in the network.

Q3: Total cost of ownership. No queuing for petrol. We save time not refilling our cars at petrol stations. Very low running costs. Electric fuel costs about 3p per mile.

Q4: We need a unified solution to access pubic charging. Right now the public charging infrastructure is a patchwork mess. I have to carry 4 different RFID cards and several unreliable smart phone apps to access the various recharging networks.

Q5: Lower overall cost. The car may be more expensive but I save £100 a month on fuel. Low emissions. Not just CO2! Electric cars are cleaner for all sorts of pollutants including CO, NOx, PM25.... Quiet. It is sooo quiet and smooth.

Q6:
Wales needs more rapid chargers. It currently is impractical and almost impossible to drive from North to South Wales. I can't even get from Anglesey to Aberystwyth.

The UK public rapid charging network needs a single way to pay for any rapid charger. Contactless debit card would be the best. A single RFID card would be ok.

Name: Andrew
Email: not on an open forum. If you have follow up questions send me a private message.
Make/Model of current car: Nissan LEAF 30kWh.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would expect a student to have a university email account. Using a this type of address always makes me think of email harvesting which I'm sure is not the case.
Normally (at least once a week) surveys are posted here using Google forms and similar see various past posts this is a first I think
alan
Hi Alan,
There is no email harvesting intended at all, just prefer to use my personal email address rather than my university one as I don’t always get responses through this.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Q1
- Performance: electric is much nippier at low speeds, though less so at higher speeds.
- Running: electric is much cheaper per mile, but at the moment I think tends to have more depreciation.

Q2
- It depends where in the UK. Some parts are fairly straightforward, but others are really difficult. Scotland has a fairly coherent strategy, Wales has next to nothing, England is a haphazard patchwork. Open the map on Zap-Map, and under Filters try Filter by speed and then choose Rapid 50+kW to see how uneven it is. Unfortunately, reliability isn't wonderful either - my experience of rapid chargers is that about one attempt in eight is frustrated by a failure of some sort (that's not isolated incidents; the sample size is almost 150 attempts).

Q3
- Better infrastructure. Chargers where they're needed, and in sufficient numbers. All petrol/diesel stations use the same payment systems (and the same fuel nozzles); for EVs, we're nowhere lose to an equivalent. People who don't have driveways need to be sure they can charge overnight where they'd normally park.
- Better understanding of EVs, in particular less fear of being stranded, also of the lower running costs. Being seen as more mainstream (yes, that's 'chicken and egg'). Car salesmen understanding the positive side of EVs.

Q4
- Many people I speak to see EVs as good but not suited to their situation. If the govt gets the infrastructure right, that would help overcome the perceived barriers.

Q5
- Running cost, eco factors, and a feeling that it's a change that needs to happen and the system won't improve if people aren't using it. And we find the quietness and smoothness make for a more relaxed journey.

Optionals
- car: BMW i3 60Ah REx
- PM me if you have other questions

·
Registered
338 Posts
Just sent my answers by email. Some good points mentioned above too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts