Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I'm carrying out a survey on smart home charging as part of my Master's course.

It's a very simple survey and only takes a few seconds to complete so it would be amazing if I could get enough responses for my research. Here is the link:

Charger solutions Survey

Thank you!

Gemma

·
Ampera aka IGOR
2,914 Posts
I've completed it too. When I had mine installed in 2013 there was no choice of charger or installer given by the Energy Savings Trust in Scotland whom I had to apply for the grant which in Scotland's case at the time was 100%.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Like almost all surveys the options don't cover personal circumstances. As everybody complains about that same fact then the conclusion has to be that the consolidated result has to be skewed in unknown ways.

I would look at a smart charger only if I install solar panels and a home battery bank. Linked to better tariffs, and the ability to juggle solar, together with cheaper tidal rates, to load both the car and power bank in either direction - and then sell power back to the grid at peak rates, then such a unit would be essential to maximise gains.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hi Gemma
I answered what I paid after Oleg for my charger as the cost question is ambiguous. If you want to know the value without grant I don't know and I didn't need to.

Hope your course goes well.
Understanding the market factors and EV nut motivations is much bigger than it initially appears.
Most of us just like our cars and think they are really good to drive. Some of us think they are cost effective. A few of us are interested in saving the planet.
For the powergen industry and government, smart charging goes with smaer meters - it's a way of saving money on grid and powergen. It's mostly the same for us users - if if doesn't save me money then why do I want the inconvenience of not being certain what state of charge my car is in?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Gemma, i did your survey but i think the gaping hole in the survey that invalidates it from the get go is, what actually IS a "smart "charger? You dont define other than in a very woolly way (a not very useful way either since your main one, timed charging is built into just about all EVs anyway)

I could come up with several definitions, all of which are very different to each other (and several of which might coexist in the one smart charger or might not).

Now, if you say "ah well i'm interested in all definitions" the issue with that is, your conclusions might be that there is a great market for a smart charger, however you may then go out and build a smart charger of type "x" when actually what most people answering your survey wanted, was a smart charger of type "y" or "z" and your product is a complete flop.
As an analogy, back in the day, Nokia had the first big selling smartphones. They were pretty capable. They were annihilated within just a couple of years by Apple and then Google with their smartphones, which were "smart" in many similar ways but had a couple of significant distinctions. Meanwhile, Nokia could have been looking at your "smartphone survey" that just asked "would you buy a smartphone?" and carry on with their existing plans and miss the small but significant differences and be destroyed (which is pretty much what happened).
If i was your university tutor, I'd be wanting some solid definitions of what is meant by a smart charger and also what benefits they might provide, as a foundation for the questions and responses. As it is, once person could be responding thinking of a timed charger defined by when the grid has capacity, another timed as to when the car needs it, another timed as to when electric is cheap, another as to how the PV from their roof is fed into a car or battery, a fourth or fifth for V2G use, another just wants a website showing charging use or mobile connectivity.. All these would be very different types of smart charger. And obviously some or all of these functions could exist in the one unit. But if i want PV charging smarts, a charger than helps me with variable E7 charging is no use.
At the least you could have a list of smart charger features and ask if people have / would like these rather than just asking "do you have a smart charger". In the same way as if Nokia had said 'would you like a big screen and an on screen keyboard rather than a physical one?" that might have helped them down the right path faster than they travelled.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts