Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way of turning off the daft engine noise that comes through the speakers when in GTE mode? It is SOOOO annoying!!

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
533 Posts
Have they put a Soundaktor in the GTE too? You can code it out with vagcom/obdeleven or whatever.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
You can also wrestle under (I believe) the glovebox and pull the connector for it. Check the service manual. If you do not have a copy PM me and I will send you one.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,365 Posts
Is there any way of turning off the daft engine noise that comes through the speakers when in GTE mode? It is SOOOO annoying!!
It doesn't actually come through the speakers, it's a unit that's affixed to the bulkhead just below the windscreen in the engine bay.

Mine used to rattle, but a 10mm nut on the protruding bolt head secured the unit. After that, I quite liked the sound, and it was only active in GTE mode anyway.

There's a connector under the right hand scuttle panel, you can physically disconnect that and bag the connectors afterwards to stop water getting in, or you can code it out with VCDS if you have access to it.

The above applies to the Mk7 GTE, not sure if they moved it in the Mk7.5...

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,365 Posts
Mr YouTuber would have been much better served if he’d removed the wiper arms too, much easier access under the scuttle panel.

He’s disconnected the Soundaktor controller, if you follow his example you’re opening up the controller and wiring loom to water ingress if you leave it flapping.

VCDS is the best way, you don’t need to remove anything and you can code it down to 0% so it’ll be silent.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I had mine disconnected prior to delivery about four years ago.
The senior tech said he could adjust, or turn off the unit by VCDS or disconnect direct at the unit just in case I changed my mind, or sold on the car at a later date.
If you don’t have the facility for using VCDS ( which I never ) then having the unit disconnected and then protecting the cable from the weather, maybe be the way to go for you ?.
If you want the dealer to turn it OFF - then you want it turned back ON to sell the car, they will charge you again !.
If you feel okay with disconnecting it yourself, then you can repeat to process again at the time of sale without any cost implications !.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Your not missing much.
All that “Fake” engine sound is not my bag really !.
Each to there own I guess !.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I quite like it, but only in the GTE mode. In E-mode, I like the quiet. Great after a long day's commute!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts