Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems ridiculous I know, but I'm about to use a car club Zoe on Wednesday for the first time in late rush hour traffic (18:45pm). What's the best way to pull away in city traffic?

I know EV's are 'like driving an automatic' but the last time I drove an auto was my 4.1L Ford Falcon in Australia 20 years ago! So I'm wondering is there any difference between P and N mode for example? Apparently the Zoe will 'creep' in D mode, so what mode should I put it into at a junction? Just stay in D with my foot on the brake? Or change to P? If I'm in P do I need the handbrake on? etc.

Presumably there's no danger of 'stalling' or similar that leaves me with a queue of angry ICE drivers beeping away behind?

Thanks for 'Zoe Driving for Dummies' tips!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Zoe, like all electric cars, is a dream to drive in traffic. Just put your foot down! Maybe gently at first, though, until you get used to that super smooth powerful take off 😁

At junctions, just keep your foot on the brake, like almost every other driver on the road. If you are on an incline, the built in "Hill assist" holds the car for a second or so while you transfer to the throttle - easy!

At railway crossing or longer stops, I apply handbrake and nudge into "N" purely to save "drag" on the motor.

Enjoy your drive!

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
P is for park only. Don't use N either. Keep in D. For short wait use the foot brake. Longer wait then use the handbrake. If picking it up in a car park it's worth doing a quick circuit of it first before you set off properly.

it's basically like a torque converter auto in that it creeps and expects to be in D.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Pulling on the hand brake stops the creeping forward, so the motor doesn't fight against the brake.
As said above, stay in drive.
So from parking (in park, car turned off)
1. Press foot on brake, press power button. Car will turn on with sound and show ready on screen.
2. Press foot on brake, move gear lever to drive
3. Indicate, once ready to go release foot brake (you will start to move) and move foot to accelerator to increase speed.

A pause: hold foot on brake.
A short stop (eg traffic lights): after coming to a halt pull on hand brake.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Seems ridiculous I know, but I'm about to use a car club Zoe on Wednesday for the first time in late rush hour traffic (18:45pm). What's the best way to pull away in city traffic?

I know EV's are 'like driving an automatic' but the last time I drove an auto was my 4.1L Ford Falcon in Australia 20 years ago! So I'm wondering is there any difference between P and N mode for example? Apparently the Zoe will 'creep' in D mode, so what mode should I put it into at a junction? Just stay in D with my foot on the brake? Or change to P? If I'm in P do I need the handbrake on? etc.

Presumably there's no danger of 'stalling' or similar that leaves me with a queue of angry ICE drivers beeping away behind?

Thanks for 'Zoe Driving for Dummies' tips!
Depending on which car club, you'll either have been provided a PDF guide at the time of booking, or there will be one in the glovebox or door pocket when you pick it up, explaining the basics. Take a quick read of that before you drive off and it should give you a little more confidence with it.

It very much drives like an automatic but smoother. No chance of stalling as per your assumptions either. Stick it in D whenever you're on the road. Just use the foot brake pedal, or your handbrake when stopping. Ignore N altogether. And whenever you park up and switch the car off, always put it into P and handbrake on (Especially important with the car club vehicles as you can't end your booking in some cars if you don't do this)

One thing you may notice is the brakes are a little weird. Braking smoothly can be difficult for a first time Zoe driver. You get this weird, not so smooth switch between regen and friction brakes as you push down on the pedal, and until you get used to it you may find you're braking a little harsher than you intend to. It does get a lot better the more you drive and get used to it all.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Stop
Handbrake on (“disengages drive”)
When lights change take handbrake off and car starts going forward
Gently press accelerator

remember you only use your right foot and your left foot is redundant

JJ

·
evezy referral code d6540
1,626 Posts
See my rough and ready video!

·
Premium Member
10,190 Posts
Like others, I always leave in D and for short stops (eg roundabouts) I hold the car using the foot brake. For longer stops (eg traffic lights) I pull the handbrake on. It is a traditional handbrake so easy to release when you want to zoom off 😀

Have fun and watch speed limits as you may find it quiet compared to fossil fuel cars. There is a speed limiter feature that you may want to use in 30 limits. There is an online manual if you want to read up on that and other features.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Note: Do not mash the throttle of the Zoe in reverse. You’ll get a big shock.

Don’t ask how I know. :)
Always wonder what the limiter for my ampera was in reverse? Technically should be no TECHNICAL* reason for it not to be 105.

Never been brave enough to find out.

*except stupid.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right, thanks to all for those words of wisdom - much appreciated! Sounds super easy, just a case of getting the feel of the brakes and the acceleration by the sounds of it. And I guess Renault put 'N' there to make it same as standard auto, as it doesn't sound like N really has any purpose?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Right, thanks to all for those words of wisdom - much appreciated! Sounds super easy, just a case of getting the feel of the brakes and the acceleration by the sounds of it. And I guess Renault put 'N' there to make it same as standard auto, as it doesn't sound like N really has any purpose?
It's necessary on EVs for if you need to tow or push it. Other than that I see very few uses for such a gear.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,121 Posts
Yep the main thing to remember (like I think with many automatics etc) is it likes you to have your foot on the brake to start, and to shift into D. That's the only counter-intuitive thing I can think of, everything else is pretty basic.

I usually just sit on the brake pedal at lights unless it's going to be ages or it's dark and I can see the brake light illuminating the face of the person behind.

If you want the hill start assist to activate, make sure you put the brake pedal firmly down (should hear the whir of the physical brakes being primed). You probably would anyway, but I had one instance where I was light on the brake pedal and it rolled back a touch when I set off.

You can happily balance the accelerator when creeping in a queue up a hill towards a junction (for example) as there is no clutch to wear out.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Into P (not N) when parked of course.
Oops! I've edited that now. Thanks for pointing it out. I guess it's time I start reading back what I type before hitting post especially when tired.

Yes. Most definitely P when parked up. Leaving most car club vehicles in N will stop you from ending your booking too. Just ignore the existence of N unless you break down and, as said earlier need to push or tow it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Basically leave it D all the time and step on brake when stationary.
Although I use N a lot to be more economical as I have a downhill on the way home where I can coast all the way down without brake.
Regen and then reaccelerating half way (due to too much speed loss) would be less eco.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The Zoe won’t turn off unless you move it to Park and it will just nag you when you open the door.
As far as I know it does turn off, just gives you a notice to select park. Pretty sure you can actually get out, lock the car and it will turn off the dash warning light. It's when you get back in later that it won't let you start it back up until its in park again.

I think I did this the first time driving a Zoe having moved from a LEAF which made me lazy since it would automatically shift to park when you switched it off.

·
Registered
197 Posts
As an ev the Oe is fairly badly thought of.
Firstly in cruise control, it should disable regen. When yr ou set for example 60mph,the car is constantly adjusting like an ice, but everytime it decelarated slightly, it regens, making it less economical than just controlling it with your feet and coast/feather throttle on a slight downhill.
Secondly, when you select park and open the drivers door, the car should just go off. There's no need for this "switch off engine" warning, the engine isn't running. Same goes to pulling off, you enter the car, change from P to D, it should be on, why having to press (or have) a "start stop" button at all?
Lack of an option to disable creep mode or regen. Very bad on economy when you're on queuing traffic and slowing down from 5mph to 2-3mph, you're actually applying physical braking vs the motor pulling on creep.

List goes on...

1 - 20 of 133 Posts