Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst looking for the next move from my Ampera, I found this: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...ertising-location=at_cars&page=1&modal=photos

With no pictures, should I expect this to move very quickly or is there something I need to think seriously about. It's a high miler but I'll bring that down towards average as I've barely done 20k in 3.5 years in the Ampera (even with Lockdowns, that's substantially below average).

Do you experienced Kona owners have any specific questions I should be asking the dealer, given they're 200+ miles from me?

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,663 Posts
Just to make sure you're aware this is a 39kWh battery pack, right?
Not the usual 64kWh that you see most people talking about and buying. I know a few people got excited over similar cars in the past before noticing it was a smaller battery model.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just to make sure you're aware this is a 39kWh battery pack, right?
Not the usual 64kWh that you see most people talking about and buying. I know a few people got excited over similar cars in the past before noticing it was a smaller battery model.

Yes I was aware of the smaller battery. Finding reviews, that makes for a lighter, sportier feel around town (lower speeds) but the reduced range will have a slight impact. The price difference between this and the next one up is over 5 grand which is as you'd expect for a 64KWH battery.

Given I'm looking at things like the MG ZS or LEAF, the smaller battery is on par range wise.

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,566 Posts
Yes I was aware of the smaller battery. Finding reviews, that makes for a lighter, sportier feel around town (lower speeds) but the reduced range will have a slight impact. The price difference between this and the next one up is over 5 grand which is as you'd expect for a 64KWH battery.

Given I'm looking at things like the MG ZS or LEAF, the smaller battery is on par range wise.
Worth noting the 39kw rapid charges slower as well. Saw an owner mention it on youtube who that it rapid charged slower than his 64kw Kona, cant remember whose channel it was though.

·
Registered
Kona 64
650 Posts

The smaller battery has a less powerful motor. 100kw/136PS as against 150kw / 204PS for the 64. The top speed and 0-60 time are inferior and the range is also (obviously). The top speed at 96 mph is however still ‘adequate’! The 34 car was only available in SE or Premium trim. The top of the range PremiumSE is only available with the larger battery.

These things might not matter to you if you do not need the range. So it might be lighter but not sportier. Its still a good car, but just as its cheaper to buy it will be less desirable when it comes time to sell. Also it will be a lower spec. Probably worth a look and as you say it is comparable with the Leaf and MG, though the MG is bigger.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Depending when it was made, it may be in line for a replacement battery. And if so, there's going to be a delay before those get made & distributed, saw a mention of a year or so, and recommendation is to not go above 90% SOC during the wait.
So maybe prices will drop due to this performance-reduction, otoh may go up again later, once you have a nice new battery in it!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't driven one, just looked at several reviews, the EV Puzzle guy was saying it was sportier at lower speeds, less weight meant it picked up a bit quicker (reduced weight offset the reduced power - to a point) but once it got up to 50ish, it was lagging behind.

I would have loved to get a 64KWH Premium SE but they are far beyond my price range (this one is pushing it) so it's either this one at claimed 180 or the MG ZS at 163, which with build quality and a smidge extra range means the slightly more used Hyundai is a good option.

It was sold in 2018, so I think it might be before the battery issue?

·
Registered
431 Posts
I did think about them, especially with that extra range but the added height of an SUV, even a crossover, would be good for my knackered knees.
The MG5 is actually quite high in comparison to your average estate car. I'd recommend taking a test drive. It is very much better in the corners than the ZS.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Whilst looking for the next move from my Ampera, I found this:
Do you experienced Kona owners have any specific questions I should be asking the dealer, given they're 200+ miles from me?
Ask them for the vehicle reg, so you can put it into the value your car feature on Autotrader. Given that it's 2018, I'd have thought it to be less than the asking price. The latest valuation of the 20reg ioniq I lease has a current part ex of £18,570 - crazy when it would have cost me circa £30k to have bought it for cash just 12 months ago. No idea how dealers match part-ex to retail prices. I always thought there was a margin of a couple of grand.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I haven't driven one, just looked at several reviews, the EV Puzzle guy was saying it was sportier at lower speeds, less weight meant it picked up a bit quicker (reduced weight offset the reduced power - to a point) but once it got up to 50ish, it was lagging behind.

I would have loved to get a 64KWH Premium SE but they are far beyond my price range (this one is pushing it) so it's either this one at claimed 180 or the MG ZS at 163, which with build quality and a smidge extra range means the slightly more used Hyundai is a good option.

It was sold in 2018, so I think it might be before the battery issue?
Having driven both I can confirm that although it feels more nimble in the corners it’s a fair chunk slower accelerating, officially only a second or so but it felt much more to me. Oh, and Nigel’s old so it would seem quick to him ;-)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Having driven both I can confirm that although it feels more nimble in the corners it’s a fair chunk slower accelerating, officially only a second or so but it felt much more to me. Oh, and Nigel’s old so it would seem quick to him ;-)
I'm over 50 now, so I'm no spring chicken anymore. I'm not looking for something to rip the rubber off the tyres, just get out of a junction in a reasonable gap.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts