Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm looking into what the reality would be of owning and charging an EV on the go.

Are subscriptions or pay as you go models more popular at the moment (in the UK)?

I'm nearish to a Shell garage as well, I see some talk on here of them being quite reliable?

Would I need a subscription if I did any driving in Europe (Germany / Netherlands mainly)?

Sorry for all the questions, still relatively new to this!

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
5,046 Posts
I prefer PAYG,but keep a bit topped up in a GeniePoint account due to them being so convenient (mainly ay Morrisons) and it making it slightly cheaper per kW.

I now have an RFID card from Octopus which gives access to a few networks and pays via your electricity account. Haven't used it yet, but it sounds very promising.

Not sure on European driving, but I'm sure someone will be along later to let you know.

So, I would like to see all chargers to be PAYG, but am hedging my bets at the moment because of the current state of the market.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,626 Posts
It very much depends on your usage pattern.

What EV have you got?
Will you charge at home?
What public network(s) are in your area?
How often will you exceed the vehicle range?
What charging solutions are there along your frequently travelled journey routes?

Without answers to these questions, it’s very difficult to give any meaningful opinions.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
705 Posts
If you can't charge at home then it may be worth looking at subscription options for any networks you use often, but unless you are a real road warrior and will be charging several times a week on the road, I wouldn't have thought a subscription would make a lot of sense. Most subscriptions only offer free included non rapid charging anyway, the savings on rapids are usually half normal price so you would need to do a fair bit of charging to cover your monthly subscription

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
55 Posts
As a newbie, one of your first ports of call would be Zap-Map. This is pretty much a default site for the location of Public Charging Stations in the UK and, if you use their filters to locate only Rapid charging points, you'll soon find out where (and how many) points there are around the route where you intend to venture to. I don't think it covers the continent yet - but someone may recommend such a site for you.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,626 Posts
How many major national networks actually offer subscriptions? I can only think of Polar, and some of the lamppost charge point operators.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Hi all, I'm looking into what the reality would be of owning and charging an EV on the go.

Are subscriptions or pay as you go models more popular at the moment (in the UK)?

I'm nearish to a Shell garage as well, I see some talk on here of them being quite reliable?

Would I need a subscription if I did any driving in Europe (Germany / Netherlands mainly)?

Sorry for all the questions, still relatively new to this!
1st question is can you charge at home?
if the answer is yes then everything else is likely to be a hardly used bonus

·
Registered
384 Posts
How many major national networks actually offer subscriptions? I can only think of Polar, and some of the lamppost charge point operators.
Subscription, when it costs to get membership that covers a period of time (as opposed to just a pre-paid account):

Source London (RFID access card monthly activation gives you considerably cheaper tariff)
Polar (RFID access card monthly activation gives you considerably cheaper tariff)
Charge your Car (RFID access card annual activation)
Chargeplace Scotland (RFID access card annual activation)
Ubitricity (charge cable dongle purchase and monthly subscription gives access to more chargepoints, and a cheaper tariff)

It's notable that three of the above are actually run by the same company.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
I have the following:
RFID Cards: Chargepoint
Maingau
Octopus Juice
Shell Recharge
Ecotricity
Apps:
Shell Recharge,
Electric Highway,
BP Chargemaster,
Charge Your Car,
Chargepoint,
Plugshare,
Polar Instant,
Pod Point

I have used one of them, once (just can't remember which)
Sean, you can uninstall Polar Instant now, as it's been superceded by Bp Chargemaster. I installed Bp Chargemaster last night, and it successfully pulled-in my credit & info from Polar Instant, so hopefully you haven't got 2 distinct ids going on these 2, have you? That might teally confuse it !!! :)

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
5,046 Posts
GeniePoint, but PAYG is also available.
PodPoint, ditto

I don't think that there are any left that are pure subscription only???

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,688 Posts
It’s worth noting some networks, like charge your car, can only be considered usable with the rfid card. There is an app but it’s terrible and often doesn’t work so I have bought an rfid card at £20 for the year. I’ll definitely get value from that as there’s an orphaned rapid nearby that appears to be free to use with a card.

I would only consider subscribing to a network if I knew I was going to use it and this would pay for itself e.g. if you have no home charging and lots of polar nearby then a sub with that network makes sense as you’ll see value from it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts