Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I had an sudden drop in range (at 100%) from 282-285 miles to just 242 miles. This is during a holiday in which I used, almost exclusively, public fast chargers.

The only thing I can attribute it to (purely by process of elimination) is that the batteries were once charged from 20% to 100% on a fast (43kw/50kw) charger. I think they don't like going past 80% on fast chargers and I know some cars / chargers will cut off at 80%.

Since returned home, I've been deliberately letting it drop below 80% then charging to 100% overnight on my 7kw charger. The range has been creeping back up to 255, 265 and now 274 miles. I noticed I get no increase in range if I recharge too early (above 80%).

Anyone else seen this?

·
Super Moderator
7,509 Posts
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I had an sudden drop in range (at 100%) from 282-285 miles to just 242 miles. This is during a holiday in which I used, almost exclusively, public fast chargers.

The only thing I can attribute it to (purely by process of elimination) is that the batteries were once charged from 20% to 100% on a fast (43kw/50kw) charger. I think they don't like going past 80% on fast chargers and I know some cars / chargers will cut off at 80%.

Since returned home, I've been deliberately letting it drop below 80% then charging to 100% overnight on my 7kw charger. The range has been creeping back up to 255, 265 and now 274 miles. I noticed I get no increase in range if I recharge too early (above 80%).

Anyone else seen this?
Can I suggest, if you're not regularly using lots of range, that you set the maximum at home to 90% (or even 80%!) instead of 100%? This will keep your battery a lot healthier for a lot longer.

I've set mine to 70%, and I know if I need more it's one button on the dash or in the app to override and go to 100%.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Range is based on recent usage, so thats probably what it is, e.g. lots of motorway driving.
Also it drops a bit in the winter, so bear that in mind.
I dont see how charging method would make any difference to it, other than long term wear of sitting at 100% too much (but that takes a long time to show up)

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
276 Posts
I do believe that a sudden drop should not happen. It is true that range is calculated on recent usage and is adjusted if actual usage differs. But then the range should drop gradually and not by almost 20% in one go. Maybe the BMS was confused regarding the actual charge, or the cells had not been balanced properly so some where out of tune with the rest and the BMS compensated for that. Keep an eye on it and if it happens again, or if you now see a dimished range even with the normal usage pattern, then ask your dealer to check the SOH of the battery and the voltage of each cell.

·
Super Moderator
7,509 Posts
long term wear of sitting at 100% too much (but that takes a long time to show up)
Happens sooner than you'd think, my Leaf has lost over 40% of it's original capacity, and I think a large part of that is because I always charged to 100% for several years.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Can I suggest, if you're not regularly using lots of range, that you set the maximum at home to 90% (or even 80%!) instead of 100%? This will keep your battery a lot healthier for a lot longer.

I've set mine to 70%, and I know if I need more it's one button on the dash or in the app to override and go to 100%.
A good suggestion. But I assume that the manual is right that it should be charged to 100% about once a month as it is only on the 100% charge that the cells are balanced.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Happens sooner than you'd think, my Leaf has lost over 40% of it's original capacity, and I think a large part of that is because I always charged to 100% for several years.
That's quite an early Leaf though, isn't it? Newer batteries are not supposed to degrade as quickly. Tesla data shows the vast majority of their batteries are still at 90+% capacity even after 150k miles. Nissan Leafs are slightly notorious for losing capacity quickly from what I've read. Not sure about other brands.

·
Super Moderator
7,509 Posts
That's quite an early Leaf though, isn't it? Newer batteries are not supposed to degrade as quickly. Tesla data shows the vast majority of their batteries are still at 90+% capacity even after 150k miles. Nissan Leafs are slightly notorious for losing capacity quickly from what I've read. Not sure about other brands.
Yes, one of the earliest Leafs made, will be ten years old in a few months. Newer chemistry may well be better, but of course there are no ten year old 30kwh, 40kwh or 62kwh packs to compare with yet...!

Tesla by default won't charge to 100%, it has a "daily" charge level and a "trip" one, so it won't have been charged to 100% every day for years. There's also no 10 year old Model S's around, only Roadsters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts