Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys putting this out there to all the smart guys on here . I have a kangoo ze 33 and currently it charges at 7kw . How would I get this to charge in tue same way as a Zoe 40 ( ie no rapid charge ) as they can charge at 22kw from type 2 . I know there are companies looking at this but no one yet . I know a rapid charge retro fit is a coding nightmare apparently. However as the kangoo is essentially a Zoe how would on increase the charge rate . Any help would be great thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's more than just a coding nightmare, it's a physical change to the hardware of the car.

I had A quick glance at the brochure for that vehicle and I'm guessing it can only handle single phase AC. At least it doesn't show any better charge times for any charger over 7kw so that looks like your limit.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s right . I know muxan have not long given the option to do this using as an upgrade . I guess it’s just getting the right minds on the mod . It does say on the muxan website they are thinking about looking into the Zoe and kangoo .

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Charging at a nominal 22 kW probably just requires a three phase charge point, as I'm pretty sure the ZE33 is three phase capable, just like the Zoe. A 22 kW charge point is just a three phase version of a 7 kW charge point, so it has three line conductors rather than just one, but obviously needs a three phase electricity supply to the premises. Some charge points can be changed from single phase to three phase fairly easily, some can't, and one of two single phase ones are really three phase ones with two phases not connected when used on a single phase supply.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems even if I plug into a 22kw charge point it will only charge at 7kw . So some work will need to be done I think

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
It seems even if I plug into a 22kw charge point it will only charge at 7kw . So some work will need to be done I think
have you checked you have a 3 phase type 2 cable. Easiest way to check is to plug into an Ecotricity or other rapid charger with AC and see if you get more than 7kw from that as that will rule out your cable.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
It does sound as if you may not have a three phase Type 2 cable, although I had thought that Renault supplied a three phase one as standard. The cable may have markings on it to denote the number and size of conductors, and a three phase one will have something like "5 x 6mm²" for the main power conductors whereas a single phase one will have something like "3 x 6mm²" (both probably also have something like "1 x 0.75mm²" or similar for the Control Pilot wire).

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I seem to remember when I bought it I used a charger outside the Renault dealership and it only charged at 7kw

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
I seem to remember when I bought it I used a charger outside the Renault dealership and it only charged at 7kw

Are there any markings on the cable itself? Often these will be subtle, just faintly moulded in, but there is usually an indication of the cable core numbers and sizes.

This is the sort of marking on a single phase, 32 A cable:

In this case the cable has three 6mm² cores for power (line, neutral and PE) plus two 0.5mm² cores for the pilot signals. A 32 A three phase cable will have five 6mm² cores and either one or two thinner pilot cores.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
AFAICS it only has a 7kW onboard charger, so that is the limiting factor. It would be very nontrivial to upgrade this - if nothing else, a 22kW charger would be bigger, require more cooling as well as interfacing to the vehicle's electronics.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,589 Posts
AFAICS it only has a 7kW onboard charger, so that is the limiting factor. It would be very nontrivial to upgrade this - if nothing else, a 22kW charger would be bigger, require more cooling as well as interfacing to the vehicle's electronics.
The charger is part of the motor.

I do wonder what Renault did with the Kangoo to make it only charge single phase. Probably some cost saving somewhere...

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
The charger is part of the motor.

I do wonder what Renault did with the Kangoo to make it only charge single phase. Probably some cost saving somewhere...

Me too, as I thought that Renault just used much the same motor, inverter, drive system etc on the Kangoo as they did on the Zoe. Seems odd to not include three phase charging when the charger inverter uses many of the components in the motor drive system, including the three phase motor windings as inductors. The spec for the Kangoo ZE33 suggests it can charge at 22 kW from three phase, too.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Does the charge socket have all the metal contacts populated, or are the bottom two missing/blank ? The latter would indicate single-phase charging only.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Just had a look on the Renault website and it does seem that Renault chose to only provide single phase charging on the Kangoo. This seems really odd, given that most of the hardware for three phase charging will already be in the car, because of the way Renault re-use the motor and part of the inverter electronics in the charging system. I wonder why they didn't just use the same system that the other ZE vehicles use?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wonder for someone with the skill what the cost would be to make this happen , or would a range extender be a better bet .

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That’s what I thought . In theory could you remove the charger and other components from a wrecked Zoe and install them in a kangoo ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts