Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else having trouble with pigeons in the road who don’t fly off until you’re just about to hit them? Happening to me at least once each day on the short trip I’m doing. I’m wondering if they’re in the road more because there are fewer cars, and haven’t yet learned (or had it bred out of them...) that the big quietly whirring thing coming towards them is as dangerous as the big noisy clattering ones?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Need a zapper fender to take out as many as possible fitting to all vehicles.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Had that all the time with my blue Leaf but it all stopped when I got a White e-Niro. Whether that's the colour, the sound or the shape I don't know but it was a marked difference.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,435 Posts
Is anyone else having trouble with pigeons in the road who don’t fly off until you’re just about to hit them? Happening to me at least once each day on the short trip I’m doing. I’m wondering if they’re in the road more because there are fewer cars, and haven’t yet learned (or had it bred out of them...) that the big quietly whirring thing coming towards them is as dangerous as the big noisy clattering ones?
So, have you driven over any?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Sparrows are just as bad. They gather in groups.
But they dont make a gawd awful din at 4 in the morning trying to build nests in the wisteria, just next to the open bedroom windows. :censored:
There needs to be a cull of pidgeons, probably seagulls too.

Reactions: EdH

·
Registered
536 Posts
I suppose it is a special kind of irony when we have posters complaining about, and threatening to kill, wildlife on a EV forum where a large part of the existence of EVs over fossil fuel cars is to help preserve that environment the wildlife inhabit...

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
or, if that's not possible, a cull of wisteria?
Cull of wisteria happens at least twice a year.
Our dog dislikes pigeons and rapidly dispatches them from garden too, but they return like bad pennies.

·
Registered
549 Posts
But they dont make a gawd awful din at 4 in the morning trying to build nests in the wisteria, just next to the open bedroom windows. :censored:
There needs to be a cull of pidgeons, probably seagulls too.
Tis true that one of the benefits of EV's is that air pollution is reduced. I'm never really sure what makes one animal species more worthy of protection than others. Rats are quite cuddly, but most people are happy to poison the loveable furry friends. The larger flying rats that eat almost anything, have increasingly displaced the smaller prettier and happier British garden birds. I'd much rather be woken to the melodious chorus of blackbirds, thrushes and robins.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Whether that's the colour, the sound or the shape I don't know but it was a marked difference
Mine’s a black Leaf, so it’s not the colour, but it could be the particular noise-maker sound that just doesn’t register with them.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
No, not yet. Had to slow down though. Keep meaning to look up recipes for pigeon pie; once I have I’ll speed up instead...
I believe the law says that if you kill a pheasant on the road, you are not allowed to pick it up. But anyone following can. I don't know if that applies to pigeons (or peasants).

·
Zoe Devotee
9,114 Posts
Pigeons, I wish! They just go "poomf" and magic into a cloud of feathers.

Pheasants on the other hand, they smash your car in and then fly off. £300 part the grill on the MG apparently, thank goodness for sensibly priced Excess as its a front bumper off job, so potential re-calibration of radar etc if repair center isn't careful.

IMG_20200520_101150.jpg

Reactions: burnt_crisps2
1 - 20 of 22 Posts