Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All of a sudden, there are some decent-looking hatch/estate moderate cost mid-sized EVs with decent (200+ mile) & towing capability starting to appear. id3 looks nice, but sadly can't tow, so that rules it out for me. Peugot e2008 etc & I assume the Vx versions cannot tow, so they're out. Model Y can tow, but a tad large & pricey for me.

MG 5 EV looks more interesting. Have just downloaded the brochure PDF. Size-wide it's v similar to Ampy on the road. Here are some figures:
Length: MG 4544mm, Ampy 4514
Width incl mirrors: MG 2059, Ampy 2126
Width excl mirrors: MG 1818, Ampy 1787
Height: MG 1513 (without roof bars), Ampy 1439
Boot space: MG 464L, Ampy 300L (I believe)
Boot space with rear seats down: MG 1456L, Ampy 1000L
Turning circle: MG 11.3m, Ampy 10.9
0-60: MG 7.3s, Ampy 8.7

MG has useable battery 48.8 kWh for range just over 200 miles, 5 seats not 4, also I noticed what looks like a space-saver tyre under the boot floor. Nice!
No mention of towbar capability in the brochure sadly, so that remains a question. But htere were noises about the MG ZS being able to tow - anyone know the situation with those ?
Price - MG 5 is £ 27,495 to 29,995. Looking v competitive to me!

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I'm in two minds as my milage has collapsed with the Covid restrictions so the Ampera is running full time on electricity now with the occasional EMM to stir the oil and recently a FMM. Apart from the future need for 5 seats when family comes to visit the Ampera does everything.
I'm thinking of car rental if a 5 seater is needed and hanging on to the Ampera for 3 to 5 more years as it owes me nothing and is cheap to run (insurance and service/mot), The idea of spending 25K+ just to have a shiny tin box on the drive is difficult to get my head round.
:unsure: :unsure: :coffee:

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Various posts eslewhere tell me the MG ZS cannot tow, so presumably the MG 5 won't either. Yet another disappointment. Looks like I'll be waiting for Elon's rumoured M3-> hatchback model... so another couple of years to wait ...

·
Registered
181 Posts
I like the idea of the MG 5, though I'd not be in the market for a good few years. Price on their website looks like £25-27k after picg , seems really good value compared to others.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,152 Posts
All of a sudden, there are some decent-looking hatch/estate moderate cost mid-sized EVs with decent (200+ mile) & towing capability starting to appear. id3 looks nice, but sadly can't tow, so that rules it out for me. Peugot e2008 etc & I assume the Vx versions cannot tow, so they're out. Model Y can tow, but a tad large & pricey for me.

MG 5 EV looks more interesting. Have just downloaded the brochure PDF. Size-wide it's v similar to Ampy on the road. Here are some figures:
Turning circle: MG 1.3m, Ampy 10.9

MG has useable battery 48.8 kWh for range just over 200 miles, 5 seats not 4, also I noticed what looks like a space-saver tyre under the boot floor. Nice!
No mention of towbar capability in the brochure sadly, so that remains a question. But htere were noises about the MG ZS being able to tow - anyone know the situation with those ?
A slightly newer Ampera still in warranty.

That's your whole list to that question.

:)

·
Registered
413 Posts
The design of the MG looks, to me, a bit old and boxy but maybe I need to see one in the flesh, or different pics. I was quite excited by the idea when I read your post but on seeing pics I calmed down...

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
TBH I thought it was a face-lift Rover 75.

..... is it?.....
I shared the same thought in the MG pages of this community.

The MG5 oddly appears to have clips of the same size/shape/location, and various other structural nuances that appear common to the MG ZT/Rover 75. Coincidentally the thirsty V8s also had a massive grill visually broken up by a number plate 🤷‍♂️

On-topic: By definition there can be no true BEV replacement for the Ampera because "The Vauxhall Ampera gives all the benefits of an electric car, but with none of the drawbacks, says Vauxhall." The closest to a like-for-like replacement for an Ampera would be a Hyundai Ioniq PHEV.

Having said that, if you are a loyal Vauxhall customer looking to replace your Ampera then there is a range of Vauxhall BEVs to choose from.

·
Registered
406 Posts
TBH I thought it was a face-lift Rover 75.
I was very fond of my Rover 75 and it served me well for several years. I believe they did continue in production in China for many years after they ceased to be made at Longbridge and if the Chinese have produced a EV version, I would welcome the chance to try one.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I was very fond of my Rover 75 and it served me well for several years. I believe they did continue in production in China for many years after they ceased to be made at Longbridge and if the Chinese have produced a EV version, I would welcome the chance to try one.
In a manner of speaking there are one or two EV descendants of the R75.

Branding went to Tata to reunite Rover with Land Rover. Design team moved to MG. Tooling shipped to China to make the Roewe 750 - the spelling reflects Chinese pronunciation of Rover (dropping the V in the middle). Roewe 750 was shortened to make current cars including the Roewe ei6 PHEV with 9.1kWh battery and 32 mile range.

Attachments

Reactions: GJO

·
Registered
588 Posts

Turning circle: MG 11.3m, Ampy 10.9

We have no need to tow, wife wont touch UK non city holidays / breaks. Wife and i went for a test drive in the E2008 today, GT line. I thinks it's good. She likes it. A whole raft of others have been rejected by here on looks or by cost from me (she would love an Jag i-pace).

Only other contenders are Mini e-cooper (looks and price ok, price good, size and range not so great ) and Tesla M3 SR+ (to pricey really but only 8k more than the top spec Pug E2008 with white paint (35k!)

Only major point the wife was really disappointed with is it is deffo slower (100kw vs 111kw) than the Chevy Volt. I assume it might be heavier too as well as less powerful. If we go for it it will only be a 2 year lease via the workplace salary sacrifice scheme in 2021. Then we might go for a 2019 Tesla M3 SR+ 2nd hand. Depends how well they hold their price, if really good, i think we will streach for a new one over 10 years or a Model Y.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts