Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For various reasons I’ve had a summer where the vast majority of my driving has been my regular commute and I’ve maximised my use of free public charging with almost no charging at home.
As a recap my commute is around 6.5 miles uphill with fast stretches and lots of roundabouts on the way in and obviously downhill on the way back. In summer a single charge does it all with about 10-20% spare. So most of my fuel use has been travel outside of this except the odd occasion where the afterburners went on to lose a tailgater :)
Ok now for the numbers...
For the three months to today I did 1254 miles and used 31l of fuel. That’s 184mpg overall. I charged with 423kWh of free electricity and I calculated that if I paid 15p/kWh I’d have achieved a net “fuel use equivalent” of 63mpg.
My lower performance 2l diesel 3 series would get around 45mpg at the same time of year. So I’m burning about 1/4 of the fuel to do exactly the same journey. And saving 1/3 of the notional full cost.
I know that’s not much mileage and a full BEV would have been much better this summer but I still have the ability to do long distance travel at 40mpg and will have a lifetime fuel use/cost/pollution well below an equivalent non-hybrid vehicle.
In other words I’m happy!

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019 and eTron 55 / 2020
711 Posts
Interesting, thanks. My commute is 24 miles each way, charge both ends. Summer I can just about squeeze home to work out of one charge. Done it three times but usually have 1-2 miles on petrol. Going the other way, I'm short by about 3-4 miles. So assuming worst cases, 48 miles, 6 miles on fuel. For a big heavy barge that ain't too bad. Winter - I only get about 12 to 15 miles.

·
Registered
494 Posts
what size battery does the 740e have? granted it's a heavier car, that 24 miles at a push isn't great.
Interesting, thanks. My commute is 24 miles each way, charge both ends. Summer I can just about squeeze home to work out of one charge. Done it three times but usually have 1-2 miles on petrol. Going the other way, I'm short by about 3-4 miles. So assuming worst cases, 48 miles, 6 miles on fuel. For a big heavy barge that ain't too bad. Winter - I only get about 12 to 15 miles.

·
Registered
539 Posts
For various reasons I’ve had a summer where the vast majority of my driving has been my regular commute and I’ve maximised my use of free public charging with almost no charging at home.
As a recap my commute is around 6.5 miles uphill with fast stretches and lots of roundabouts on the way in and obviously downhill on the way back. In summer a single charge does it all with about 10-20% spare. So most of my fuel use has been travel outside of this except the odd occasion where the afterburners went on to lose a tailgater :)
Ok now for the numbers...
For the three months to today I did 1254 miles and used 31l of fuel. That’s 184mpg overall. I charged with 423kWh of free electricity and I calculated that if I paid 15p/kWh I’d have achieved a net “fuel use equivalent” of 63mpg.
My lower performance 2l diesel 3 series would get around 45mpg at the same time of year. So I’m burning about 1/4 of the fuel to do exactly the same journey. And saving 1/3 of the notional full cost.
I know that’s not much mileage and a full BEV would have been much better this summer but I still have the ability to do long distance travel at 40mpg and will have a lifetime fuel use/cost/pollution well below an equivalent non-hybrid vehicle.
In other words I’m happy!
In my Countryman I am getting identical numbers to you on my 30 mile round-trip to work, charging both ends and getting 63mpg.

My previous car was a 118d, so a detuned version of your 3, and I averaged 53mpg over 48k / 4 years that I had it.

On longer distances, I have fiddled with charging on the go / using pure electric and getting around 52mpg. Where I just used auto, I was getting around 40-45mpg depending on whether I went north of 70mph!

Unless I go on longer, business trips, for personal use I am seeing the petrol station about once every two months instead of 1 and a half times a month with my oil burner.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I a trying to decide between a 225XE or a 530e. My commute is 26 miles each way. 60% flat dual carriageway the rest undulating busy B roads. From my house it is 2 miles downhill to the dual carriageway. I can't charge at my destination. What consumption could I expect from each car? Would the 530e do better? Would the best strategy be to put the roundtrip into the sat nav and let the car do the switching between petrol and electric?

·
Registered
539 Posts
I don’t know what the real world range on the 530e is and I run a Countryman, which is all but identical to the 225xe and from my experience the range indicated (usually 21 miles in summer) is what I get.

Looking at the official figures of the two BMWs, on paper, the 530e is quicker and has slightly longer range, but my question would be that even if the 530e is marginally more efficient, the 225xe is going to be around £10k or more cheaper in the first place and therefore you would need to be doing mega-miles to make up this difference.

The two cars are also quite different beasts in terms of looks, size and practicality but if money is not that much of an issue, my money would go on the 5 series as it is better looking for starters (only in my humble opinion, of course) and oozes class.

If you have a youngish family to lug around then the 225xe might be more practical but the 5 series is pretty roomy - not sure about the boot, as that will be a compromise on both cars in any case.

My Countryman is absolutely fine for my needs as my children are almost adult stage and we don’t need to carry about the paraphernalia that comes with a young family! We also have a dog and he goes in a crate in the back easily, and I imagine the 225xe will be similar in size.

I have skis been camping with 3 friends, and again, everything for a weekend went in, so if size is an issue you should be fine with the 225xe.

I just use up the electric range available then let the car switch to auto mode; as you won’t be able to charge at work, your economy will be hit hard by dint of the 200kg if batteries you will lug around, and you might need to do some number crunching to see if you would be better off in 520i.

If BIK comes into play then the poorer fuel economy is less of an issue, therefore the hybrids will be fine.

If you want to go hybrid, test drive both, preferably back-to-back, then you can see which you prefer.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Sean, thank you for the detailed response. I've test driven a Mini PHEV, 225XE and a 530e. I had a problem with tyre noise on the M sport 225XE, very much enjoyed the Mini, which had smaller non run flats. The 530e had a great ride. I thought the interaction between the motor and engine was better on the Mini. When I tested the 225 the battery was flat, but I did turn up for a test drive without notice. Looking at personal contract hire deals, the Mini and the 530e are the same price. The 225 is £130 cheaper. However the 530e is much better equipped. I looked at the US EPA data and it appeared to indicate that annual fuel costs, combined electric and petrol, for the 530e were 20% lower than the Mini, which surprised me. If that is correct it narrows the price differential between the 530e and 225XE.

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019 and eTron 55 / 2020
711 Posts
@loofer it's a 9.2KWh battery, 7.4KWh usable I think. Car is averaging 300Wh/mile so allegedly that would be about 24.5 miles, optimistic but not miles out.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Sean, thank you for the detailed response. I've test driven a Mini PHEV, 225XE and a 530e. I had a problem with tyre noise on the M sport 225XE, very much enjoyed the Mini, which had smaller non run flats. The 530e had a great ride. I thought the interaction between the motor and engine was better on the Mini. When I tested the 225 the battery was flat, but I did turn up for a test drive without notice. Looking at personal contract hire deals, the Mini and the 530e are the same price. The 225 is £130 cheaper. However the 530e is much better equipped. I looked at the US EPA data and it appeared to indicate that annual fuel costs, combined electric and petrol, for the 530e were 20% lower than the Mini, which surprised me. If that is correct it narrows the price differential between the 530e and 225XE.
I looked at the 330e and MB 350e and both were more expensive than the MINI and once you specced them up to the MINI’s level (with the Chili and Tech packs I ended up having) then they were miles over.

If you can get a 530e for similar money, go for it!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I a trying to decide between a 225XE or a 530e. My commute is 26 miles each way. 60% flat dual carriageway the rest undulating busy B roads. From my house it is 2 miles downhill to the dual carriageway. I can't charge at my destination. What consumption could I expect from each car? Would the 530e do better? Would the best strategy be to put the roundtrip into the sat nav and let the car do the switching between petrol and electric?
I reckon economy would be similar between the two cars ... or at least no more than 10% either way. I would expect to get 60 - 70mpg on the commute from my 225, depending on how fast I was going (on long motorway trips without the opportunity to charge, the car gives 42 - 45mpg cruising at 75, so I'd anticipate at least 50% better than that).

To minimise petrol usage, you should be aiming to get home with the battery down to minimum. However, I've found the 225 to be very economical at light throttle when the battery is over 51% (in certain driving modes, the generator starts charging the battery automatically when its state of charge drops below 50%, and this raises consumption a LOT). So you'll have to experiment on your specific route :)

As said above, look carefully at both cars and how they will meet your needs, as they're designed for different roles. One thing to remember about the 225 is that it has all-wheel drive capability, which is handy in winter. But in terms of on-road performance, the 530e will be quicker ... but there's not THAT much between them.

·
Banned
625 Posts
Does this look about realistic? from BMW 225xe iPerformance Active Tourer

Ordered the 225 XE M sport from Total Motion on a lease for 18 months, expecting delivery in Nov. Shame i only get to see it through 1 summer but 2 winters.

View attachment 102948
The figures are probably correct but I would ignore them.
My car in the winter has an electric range of around 10 miles but in practice on a 27 mile round trip journey the ICE will be off for around 18/19 miles.
This is because of regeneration and coasting which will be possible on the BMW.

·
Registered
494 Posts
The figures are probably correct but I would ignore them.
My car in the winter has an electric range of around 10 miles but in practice on a 27 mile round trip journey the ICE will be off for around 18/19 miles.
This is because of regeneration and coasting which will be possible on the BMW.
So you gain 8 miles through regenerative braking on such a relative short distance? That's impressive.
Does that work best in a certain drive mode?
I've driven a 2nd Gen Leaf and that just has a simple notch of the gear to increase regen. Spoils the fun a bit tho.

·
Banned
625 Posts
So you gain 8 miles through regenerative braking on such a relative short distance? That's impressive.
Does that work best in a certain drive mode?
I've driven a 2nd Gen Leaf and that just has a simple notch of the gear to increase regen. Spoils the fun a bit tho.
No, not all of the ICE inactivity is due to regeneration. The Mercedes has what is known as an “haptic” accelerator and when the car’s radar judges that the car in front is slowing or close a tremble is felt underfoot on the accelerator. This is a signal that the car can usefully coast, or sail as Mercedes describe it, saving battery energy.
When the car is too close to the car in front regenerative braking does occur which of course is beneficial in terms of range.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.