2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left home this morning with the battery at 96%

140 Miles mainly Motorway and A roads at 60-65mph

4.8 miles Per Kwh
Gom says 158 miles left

Left at 96% arrived at 55% left. 41% used

my maths say 41% of 64kwh is 26.24kw. My maths say that’s 5.33 miles kWh

GOM is sitting at 301 when full (happy with that)

now to get my head down in the sun for an hour while Vicky is working

This is the sort of range that’s makes the Tesla look stupid. How they can claim 278 Miles WLTP for the SR+ is beyond me. Was lucky to get 200

plus when I get woken up by Vicky finishing her Audit I have cooled seats to look forward to.

Ssshhh don’t tell Vicky. She thinks I still miss the Model 3. ;-)

·
Registered
718 Posts
I've noticed mine creeping up over the last couple of weeks. Was around 3.5 miles/kWh over winter (mostly 30 mph local driving). Now regularly getting 4.5 or better as the weather warms and the roads dry out.

·
Super Moderator
7,596 Posts
I'm sure you've said before but I've missed it, what work do you do that involves so many miles driven?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Good to see. One of the many reasons I love the Kona so much.

I know you understand the GOM but if somebody stops by here not quite sure about how it works out why their range is so off I made a video about it explaining how it calculates it's range.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe R90 Signature Nav
288 Posts
The more I read here around the forum the more I am thinking that I will replace the ZOE with Kona....😁

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,575 Posts
WLTP is weird. There was a good engineering explained youtube on it. There's still room for messing with results.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Exactly as above, I noticed the difference over the past few days so decided to see how high I could get on the miles/KwHr readout on my usual commute of 31 miles this morning, without being stupid slow and keeping up with A road traffic. 5.5 was the result, which I haven`t seen since late summer last year. I think a warm battery must make the biggest difference (warmed by a higher ambient) because I have tried no heater, no wipers and no lights on decent winter days and the consumption figure is way down. Incidentally I have never reset the total consumption readout which now reads 4.0 in 12500 miles since August last year. Not too bad considering the seasons, I thought.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
872 Posts
I drive an e-Niro and even though the Kona is more efficient, I must say I was very pleasantly surprised when I did a long trip a couple of weeks ago. The weather was nice, some 14 degrees in the morning and 21 in the afternoon. I went up from the coast to Granada, so from 0-600 metres with a 900 metres hump at 3/4 of the route. A 77 km trip, 90% motorway at 100 km/h
From there 40 km along B roads to a village higher up for a hike. Later that day a slightly different route back, 108 km. So a total of 220 km give or take.

I was utterly amazed when the consumption indicated told me I had used 13.2 kWh / 100 km.That gives a range of 470 km with a very big chunk of motorway at decent speeds, and moreover a total ascent (and descent) of around 1200 metres. No idea how they do that with such a boxy-shaped car, but I am quite content.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep you can trust the GOM

bailed out at 271 Miles done with 30 left

not bad as there was over an hour in utility mode with AC on as well

would have gone home as its only another 20 miles

but Vicky wanted to do a shop so rapid it is.

271 plus 30 301. Not bad from a 96% start

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The more I read here around the forum the more I am thinking that I will replace the ZOE with Kona....😁
depends the ZE50 is a bargain for its range and spec would happily have one at the discount prices they are doing them for. Love the Zoe

but that extra range in the Kona is just feantastic

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your informative posts about life with Kona 1 made frequent mention of the Nexen tyres performance, especially range.
What is Kona 2 shod with, any thoughts/comparisons, incl. the PS4’s on the M3?
I have Nexens on this car and they are overinflated to 40psi cold. 43 when running at motorway speed

As everyone says they truly awful for wheelspin in the damp when pulling away unless you are very delicate with them. But as general use and economical tyres they are good.

I will stick with them till they are worn out, I normally get 42 to 45k miles out of them with a front to rear rotate at 20k

Also have a part worn set of National Tyres Autogreen SSC5t tyres stashed in the Cellar. From the original Kona, they were quieter and gave better grip in the wet and were stupidly cheap at less than £50 a corner. But hit range fairly hard at between 5 and 10% so I went back to the Nexens when I was offered a free set.

as for the M3. I found it was very easy to get the back end out but the Traction Control and ESP were very good at controlling it. I think without decent computer control there would be a fair few rear wheel drive M3s coming out of corners backwards

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have the choice of PS4's or Nexens with an hours labour, PS4 at the moment, stock pressure either way. The PS4's run 4psi higher hot, the Nexens 2-3.
I have an impression that the PS4 softer compound results in more variable economy dependant on conditions. A recent summer day trip, 335km, 25C, mostly flat, dry and calm, gave 13.0 kW/100km (4.8ml/kWh), 90kph though. Nearly as good as the Nexens...
Same speed for a (mild) winter trip, 8C, raining, incl. a climb to 800m, was a different story - 17-18kWh/100km. The worst I've seen for the Nexens is 14.7...
I estimate anywhere from 3-13% range reduction overall, a fair tradeoff given the improved handling, but I'd use the Nexens long distance..

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have the choice of PS4's or Nexens with an hours labour, PS4 at the moment, stock pressure either way. The PS4's run 4psi higher hot, the Nexens 2-3.
I have an impression that the PS4 softer compound results in more variable economy dependant on conditions. A recent summer day trip, 335km, 25C, mostly flat, dry and calm, gave 13.0 kW/100km (4.8ml/kWh), 90kph though. Nearly as good as the Nexens...
Same speed for a (mild) winter trip, 8C, raining, incl. a climb to 800m, was a different story - 17-18kWh/100km. The worst I've seen for the Nexens is 14.7...
I estimate anywhere from 3-13% range reduction overall, a fair tradeoff given the improved handling, but I'd use the Nexens long distance..
My main complaint with the Nexens is the noise profile. They are bit high pitched and on some UK road surfaces seem very noisy. The SSC5 had a much lower frequency profile that was better in the cabin.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@stageshoot How does the cabin noise compare between the M3 and the Kona now and 2018?
Not a lot of difference

if anything the noise from the Nexens is higher pitched in the Kona so can seem more irritating

the SSC5 and Michelin’s seem to produce a lower more present rumble but being honest I am not really the best to do noise comparisons. (I did my apprenticeship testing aircraft engines and my low frequency hearing is probably worse than Ozzy Osbournes...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts