Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not a lot of difference

if anything the noise from the Nexens is higher pitched in the Kona so can seem more irritating

the SSC5 and Michelin’s seem to produce a lower more present rumble but being honest I am not really the best to do noise comparisons. (I did my apprenticeship testing aircraft engines and my low frequency hearing is probably worse than Ozzy Osbournes...
Im currently on Continental winter tyres but its not long until i change to Nexans summer tyres, the Continental are very quiet but I believe they are eating up some of the range so i'm excited to put on the Nexans and see what that plus summer degrees do to the range of the car.
Right now Im sitting on 67% and the GOM says 289km left with usage on 15.8kw pr 100km

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm still on the Nexan's but noticed a recent increase. My overall average in 10,120 miles is 4.5miles/kWh. I recently travelled 197 miles leaving with 96% SOC. I arrived with 37% and a display of 5.1miles/kWh. Mostly motorway with the cruise on 60-65mph. At the Ecotricity charge stop it would only pull 41kW. I thought it was the charger, but on the next Ecotricity and a Polar (BP Pulse) it was the same so I suspect the BMS changes are limiting the rate since it would normally be 46 - 50kW. Yesterday, at 74% displayed SoC the range on the GOM was 231 miles.

My daily commute is 18 miles and to work I usually get 5.5 to 6.2 miles/kWh but on the return (uphill) 4.4 to 4.9 miles/kWh.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,548 Posts
post BMS update I found the winter mode box was ticked whereas sure I had it unticked before. Those keen to extract range may want to check theirs.
I also visited a 150 super rapid and got 55kw at 19% soc, post bms upgrades. My previous visit there in Feb was 42 or so, although I have also had 72 off of it last autumn.

·
Registered
32 Posts
post BMS update I found the winter mode box was ticked whereas sure I had it unticked before. Those keen to extract range may want to check theirs.
I also visited a 150 super rapid and got 55kw at 19% soc, post bms upgrades. My previous visit there in Feb was 42 or so, although I have also had 72 off of it last autumn.
yeah i think they nerfed the super rapid charging capability to reduce the risk of the car bursting into flames, which should be fixed after they changed the battery pack.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
yeah i think they nerfed the super rapid charging capability to reduce the risk of the car bursting into flames, which should be fixed after they changed the battery pack.
my car has the new software that stops at 82 and 90% to balance but it’s still hitting 76/77kw on 150kw chargers. Just needs the battery above 25c and below 50% for it to ramp up to that speed

·
Registered
160 Posts
@stageshoot is correct. A lot of people forget that the battery has to be at least 25°C to be able to receive the full 75kW. It has nothing to do with the BMS updates or battery fires. I've rapid charged getting 75kW several times at EA with all BMS updates applied.

·
Registered
35 Posts
@stageshoot & @esprit1st Thanks for the comments and I agree that on the higher power rapids, the higher charging rates are only available with the battery is 25C or more and to start at less than 50% SoC. I used an Ionity 350kW last year and also saw 77kW speed but only for about 5 minutes from 46% to 55% SoC. At 69p/kW, I'd rather wait a little longer.....

My post was based upon using a 50kW charger (three different ones) where even though the battery did get over 25C at about 44% SoC, the charge rate remained at about 38-43kW (Average 40.5kW over 44 minutes) whereas in the past, I have seen 46-50kW. 30% to 70% took about 45 minutes.

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona Style 64kwh
20 Posts
Torally agree with the comments here regarding range. I easily get above 8km/kWh just driving normally in comfort mode and regularly get above 9km/kWh. I am driving in Spain so ambient temperatures are good but I'm also using plenty of aircon, so the heat pump must be playing it's part too. Got home today after a 60km trip with 9.3km/kWh so that equates to 5.8 miles/kWh in comfort mode and the aircon running all the way. I do use the auto recuperation though as I find that really helpful in adding to overall efficiency.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
@stageshoot & @esprit1st Thanks for the comments and I agree that on the higher power rapids, the higher charging rates are only available with the battery is 25C or more and to start at less than 50% SoC. I used an Ionity 350kW last year and also saw 77kW speed but only for about 5 minutes from 46% to 55% SoC. At 69p/kW, I'd rather wait a little longer.....
I charged from 17-80 percent on a polar 50kw rapid yesterday. It started at 38kw it was 5c and cold battery and ramped up to 46/47 where it stayed till 72%. Have seen them reach 49kw in perfect conditions but this was not to far off at 47

took exactly 60mins to go from 17% to 80%

·
Registered
35 Posts
Exactly as above, I noticed the difference over the past few days so decided to see how high I could get on the miles/KwHr readout on my usual commute of 31 miles this morning, without being stupid slow and keeping up with A road traffic. 5.5 was the result
Well that didn`t last long - back to low ambients and with the car not having been used over the long weekend I guess the battery was only 3 or 4 degrees and the consumption was back to about 3.8 / 4 `ish on my last few days commute.
Bring on Summer!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Granted I have only a 10 mile commute, but I got 7 miles per kWH the other day! That would be an astonishing 448 miles for a full battery.

Going mostly 40-50 mph still leaving everybody behind at the lights. Also had a little tail wind push.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Left home this morning with the battery at 96%

140 Miles mainly Motorway and A roads at 60-65mph

4.8 miles Per Kwh
Gom says 158 miles left

Left at 96% arrived at 55% left. 41% used

my maths say 41% of 64kwh is 26.24kw. My maths say that’s 5.33 miles kWh

GOM is sitting at 301 when full (happy with that)

now to get my head down in the sun for an hour while Vicky is working

This is the sort of range that’s makes the Tesla look stupid. How they can claim 278 Miles WLTP for the SR+ is beyond me. Was lucky to get 200

plus when I get woken up by Vicky finishing her Audit I have cooled seats to look forward to.

View attachment 142774
View attachment 142775
View attachment 142776

Ssshhh don’t tell Vicky. She thinks I still miss the Model 3. ;-)
I headed out on a 170 mile round trip on the weekend with 80% on the battery and a 201 mile range - weather was 12 degrees and sunny. Arrived at destination, and parked up for most of the day.

As we set off for home the range was 115 miles against a journey of 85 miles. After 30 minutes or so of driving, the range plummeted from having 30 miles spare, to only 8 miles spare. The only difference was the temperature had dived to about 4 degrees. So, a bit of conservative driving got me back to about 14/15 miles spare, and we got home with around 10% of battery life left.

It was all fine, but temperature change between the outbound and return journeys was not something I had ever thought about planning for! Lesson learned!

·
Registered
46 Posts
In the 5500 miles I've done since January in mine, I've had the exact same experience.....just the once.

Disconcerting to have disappearing miles. Other than that, the GOM has been really good.

Now, if I'm expecting low temperatures I charge to 90% instead of stopping at 80%

21 - 34 of 34 Posts