Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
it's good news in that as DC rapids get rolled out, it means it will be possible and quicker to make two stops and charge at 40 to 80 kW, rather than have to linger longer at a charger and try and squeeze as much in as possible because the next charger might require 85% or higher charge levels to reach.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I’ve charged at 50kW posts and at 350kW posts and also 125kW and 150kW.

Using a faster charger does save a few minutes, but not as much as you might think. The following were from my Chargepoint app.

This is from an Instavolt 125kW post

This is from a 50kW Instvolt charger

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s nice to know it can achieve those higher speeds under right conditions, if you are in a hurry to get on the move quickly.
However, hammering in that type of rate on a regular basis will have a detriment affect on the life span of the pack.
I think I will reserving my rapid charging use to as little as possible.
I think my battery will love me for it !.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,182 Posts
Whats not to like about 4kWh more in 7minutes less?

I think if this much vaunted update, that Bjorn Nyland mentions, is released soon that actively heats the pack and may perhaps have a more optimised charging curve we might see more consistent charging speeds and perhaps not just from very low SOC. Then we will truly see a big reduction in time spent at chargers, especially with 100+ units becoming more prevalent.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
The Leaf 40 will charge at 43kW at most SoC and up to a battery temperature that is into the 30’s from memory. The MG should easily with it’s water cooled battery be able to charge as fast. SAIC/CATL needs to ease off the aggressive throttling when the pack is cold or cool. The pack is fine once it has warmed up.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,182 Posts
The Leaf 40 will charge at 43kW at most SoC and up to a battery temperature that is into the 30’s from memory. The MG should easily with it’s water cooled battery be able to charge as fast. SAIC/CATL needs to ease off the aggressive throttling when the pack is cold or cool. The pack is fine once it has warmed up.

Hence the release of active heating should allow safer rapid charging. Fingers crossed its not too far off.

Reactions: MikeProcter

·
Registered
215 Posts
I am wondering if you are expecting too much from the update Bjorn mentions.
I suspect it is a cold weather addition for the Nordic countries and it may not arrive in the UK.
Not definite no info and I may be wrong.
I am basing this on the winter mode setting in Kona, E-niro and Ioniq. It appears that this setting only activates at temperatures at -10c or less with the intent to warm the battery. Certainly in the Midlands it would activate once in a blue moon.
Reading the E-Soul forums it appears does not have this setting probably because it is not needed in UK.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I am wondering if you are expecting too much from the update Bjorn mentions.
I suspect it is a cold weather addition for the Nordic countries and it may not arrive in the UK.
Not definite no info and I may be wrong.
I am basing this on the winter mode setting in Kona, E-niro and Ioniq. It appears that this setting only activates at temperatures at -10c or less with the intent to warm the battery. Certainly in the Midlands it would activate once in a blue moon.
Reading the E-Soul forums it appears does not have this setting probably because it is not needed in UK.
The MG already has this feature.

Reactions: Sandy

·
Zoe Devotee
9,182 Posts
The MG already has this feature.
Indeed! (y)

Bjorn talked about active heating, akin to Tesla, to aim to get the battery to ideal temperature for rapid charging when your on your way to a rapid.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Bjorn talked about active heating
Would be great if this can indeed be implemented because rapid charge speeds at winter temperature are disappointing. There appear to be different opinions as to whether the ZS only has battery cooling, or if it has proper conditioning, able to heat or cool the battery to keep battery temperature in the Goldilocks zone. I really hope it is the latter.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
The Norwegian importer have confirmed that an update will come this fall, witch enables preheating of the battery pack.
Source
In Norway.... I wonder if we will get in the UK ?

Reactions: Noraf142
1 - 13 of 13 Posts