Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Yes, just been reading it (I have a times subscription). That's the problem with posting links to Times articles I'm afraid, the only way to share them is copy and paste the whole article. Which I hesitate to do on a public forum like this. It makes pretty depressing reading, a litany of charge points either not working at all or operating with insufficient supply feeds so charging doesn't work properly. All the things that have been reported and discussed at length on this forum. Kevin Is quoted... At least the article ends on a positive point which is that sales of pure electric vehicles have risen by 200% of this time last year - but makes the obvious point that this interest risks being choked off if drivers find they can't rely on getting a charge when they need one.

Reactions: Kevin Sharpe

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@Paul yeh, it's very sad... I had two long chats with the reporter Dominic Tobin and I got the impression he was genuinely impressed by the BMW i3 and absolutely stunned by the charging network failures. My hope is that BMW find this unacceptable and step in and sort out the CM network they have invested in.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Could I point out that the i3 doesn't charge unless the car is locked up - I notice that during the failure he experienced in Bristol he had the boot wide open... That'd be why.

·
Banned
961 Posts
Could I point out that the i3 doesn't charge unless the car is locked up - I notice that during the failure he experienced in Bristol he had the boot wide open... That'd be why.
It's an interesting theory, but I don't think I've ever seen Yellow - Blue flashing like that, locked or unlocked. Yellow means "Charging initiated", so it appears to be oscillating between modes. Maybe locking the car would have kicked it into life, but my experience with that style of post has been pretty poor. I had one that refused to do anything until I set the car to 'reduced rate' charging.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hi,

We actually tested quite thoroughly so we know for sure it won't charge without being locked up. You're right about the colours, The colours are bespoke to BMW and are counter intuitive to what every Charge Point manufacture uses. But again, we've tested those posts with the i3 and are sure it won't work until the vehicle is locked.

And the reduced rate, what were you reducing from and to? If this happens again could you please give us a call and we can try to figure it out?

Thanks

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hi CYC, could you please comment on my recent experience on your network for the first time. For your additional information both charge posts were seen to be blue, yellow and red mainly and green for a split second only whilst following the message loop. All very pretty to bystanders but not to EV drivers looking for a solid green. Thank You.
http://www.leaftalk.co.uk/showthrea...sed-Electrobay-CYC-posts-in-the-Sittingbourne!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hi GBEV, these posts actually aren't on our network. CYC is part owned by Elektromotive who manufacture the posts you had a problem with (sorry about that btw!) but not all Elektromotive posts are on Charge Your Car. I will reply in more depth of the Leaf Talk forum for you though.
Cheers

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
I am not a member of Leaf Talk and that forum is mainly for Leaf owners. It would be great if you could put replies here so that you can discuss with owners of all EV makes and models. There is nothing stopping members of Leaf Talk coming over here as we have a very active Leaf membership :)

Just a thought :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts