Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I stupidly managed to leave my sunroof open and it rained overnight. Fortunately it was only slightly open, but could have been a disaster.

There are warning bongs for everything in the car, but cant find a setting for 'sunroof left open' when I turn car off.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,177 Posts

·
Vendor
1,165 Posts
Hi Miles, I haven't managed to get mine tilted. How do you do it? It would be handy to do that. Cheers
The rotary dial has a lip on it - if you push it up, it tilts the roof, if you pull it down, it closes the tilt. Hope that makes sense.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,135 Posts
You'd be surprised how many folk haven't noticed the lip, or that it pushed and pulls as well as twists. When I asked on test drive i wasn't able to be shown. I use it all the time, and yes like you I left mine tilted all day/evening one day and it was only after a torrential shower and then getting in the car did I realise my mistake. But as fortune would have it the roof has a slight overlapped lip when tilted so no water ran into the car, bone dry inside. Its a mistake I'll make sure I avoid in future, bet I'm not so lucky 2nd time round.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,177 Posts
The rotary dial has a lip on it - if you push it up, it tilts the roof, if you pull it down, it closes the tilt. Hope that makes sense.
Thanks Miles. (y)

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
A useful and quick video. thanks
Thanks,

there are a few more on my channel, but I’m unable to do any more just at the moment as I’m in St. George’s Hospital!

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
No, it doesn't warn you about the roof. In the recent warm weather, i've frequently left the roof open/tilted to gain ventilation during the day whilst parked up.
This something I have also done.
This could not be done if the car had sensors inside the cabin, otherwise the alarm would be sounding all the time when the wind is blowing !.
I great feature I had on my last car was a "Total Closure System".
If you hold the "Lock" button down on the remote, it would close any windows left open and the sun roof.
It would also open all the windows and roof if you held the "Unlock" button down on the remote.
Really handy if you where returning to a very hot parked up car in the summer time.
Are you listening M.G. ?????.
Consider adding this as a feature please !!!!!.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Yes, we made the same mistake: its easily done: wet seat, lucky I got to it quickly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This something I have also done.
This could not be done if the car had sensors inside the cabin, otherwise the alarm would be sounding all the time when the wind is blowing !.
I great feature I had on my last car was a "Total Closure System".
If you hold the "Lock" button down on the remote, it would close any windows left open and the sun roof.
It would also open all the windows and roof if you held the "Unlock" button down on the remote.
Really handy if you where returning to a very hot parked up car in the summer time.
Are you listening M.G. ?????.
Consider adding this as a feature please !!!!!.
MG6 did this, I cant understand why its not on the zs

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's called Lazy locking and even my 03 Seat Ibiza had this feature and it was the close to base S model and not the SE nor Cupra R premium models.

I guess that SAIC was really cutting costs with the car, especially when owners find that the windows aren't even tinted (apparently it's been tested to let 95% of light through).

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Sorry no !.
No internal movement sensors inside the cabin, so the alarm is only activated when one of the doors or the boot is opened.
The Sky roof can be left tipped open and the alarm is not triggered.
On a couple of occasions, I have left the back of the Sky Roof tipped back ( open ) for ventilation on hot days and locked the car without the alarm sounding.
Although this maybe not seen as the best coverage of security, handy if you need to leave your dog in the car while you pop quickly into the news agents to pick up you daily paper !.
Full alarm sensors covering the cabin would have to be turned off or the car left unlocked other wise.
Win some, loose some I guess.

·
Registered
235 Posts
It's called Lazy locking and even my 03 Seat Ibiza had this feature and it was the close to base S model and not the SE nor Cupra R premium models.

I guess that SAIC was really cutting costs with the car, especially when owners find that the windows aren't even tinted (apparently it's been tested to let 95% of light through).
Well, what was it that you wanted? An affordable EV or one with all the toys. Whilst the discussion has been done to death it is worth reiterating that for the money, despite the limitations, the ZS is the best value for money EV on the market.

Your old 03 Seat benefitted from a cheap ICE that would not have accounted for the same proportion of the vehicle cost as the electric drive train does in the MG. Some of the finishing tech is old and would probably been better had it not been installed, the rain sensor springs to mind, but every time we condemn the car for omitting a small convenience we lose sight of the overwhelming benefits. Even with the PCP costs my monthly driving costs are way down and the spec is still better than my supposedly top of the line Passat I had owned previously.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sorry no !.
No internal movement sensors inside the cabin, so the alarm is only activated when one of the doors or the boot is opened.
The Sky roof can be left tipped open and the alarm is not triggered.
On a couple of occasions, I have left the back of the Sky Roof tipped back ( open ) for ventilation on hot days and locked the car without the alarm sounding.
Although this maybe not seen as the best coverage of security, handy if you need to leave your dog in the car while you pop quickly into the news agents to pick up you daily paper !.
Full alarm sensors covering the cabin would have to be turned off or the car left unlocked other wise.
Win some, loose some I guess.
Most car theft these days relies on either being able to swipe the keys or signal boosting and copying technology, neither of which would be impacted upon by movement sensors. I do not fear someone sneaking into my car to hide whilst it is unlocked and waiting for me to walk away and lock it so they can steal it. Nor am I too worried about a baddy in a balaclava and striped top smashing a window, hot wiring my car and zooming off as modern cars don't work like that. OK, so someone stealing my briefcase, or wallet, that I was daft enough to leave in plain sight might upset me but the perp would be long gone whilst the alarm was making its feeble noises. Besides, when was the last time any of us did anything but moan when we heard a car alarm go off? When I hear one I hope it isn't my car, not because I am worried it is being tampered with, but because the neighbours would moan. IMHO the inclusion of car alarms is largely to satisfy insurance companies.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Most car theft these days relies on either being able to swipe the keys or signal boosting and copying technology, neither of which would be impacted upon by movement sensors. I do not fear someone sneaking into my car to hide whilst it is unlocked and waiting for me to walk away and lock it so they can steal it. Nor am I too worried about a baddy in a balaclava and striped top smashing a window, hot wiring my car and zooming off as modern cars don't work like that. OK, so someone stealing my briefcase, or wallet, that I was daft enough to leave in plain sight might upset me but the perp would be long gone whilst the alarm was making its feeble noises. Besides, when was the last time any of us did anything but moan when we heard a car alarm go off? When I hear one I hope it isn't my car, not because I am worried it is being tampered with, but because the neighbours would moan. IMHO the inclusion of car alarms is largely to satisfy insurance companies.
I agree, not having the car covered by internal sensors can have its advantages as I stated in my post.
Cars that have been parked in the warm weather and owners who thought it was a good idea to leave the windows slightly open to add ventilation, then returned to their cars to find the 12 Volt had run flat because the constant alarm triggers ( which nobody bothers with ) has now drained the battery !.
I do like the idea that you can tip the Sky Roof open at the back, then close the blind and leave the car locked up on a hot summer day.
Ventilation with no risk of the alarm going off !.
All that glass in the roof ( which I love ) can get the car really hot inside when it is left parked up.
It brings SO much light and a great feeling of space to the car IMO.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts