Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a couple of meetings in Leeds yesterday so had to drive up from Brum and back, choice was Performance with 200 "miles" on battery after my brother driving into the midlands from gloucester or SR+ with 190 "miles" thought the best solution would be to carry on in the P+ as it'd have a warm battery and it would charge a bit quicker than the SR+, however from Brum you have a choice of two chargers northbound one just outside of barnsley and one just on the border of leeds just off the M62. So we opted for the first one that stated two stalls at 130KW, arrived with one other car and plugged in only to see it hit 30KW then slowly drift down to 24KW. Tried unplugging and plugging in again in case there was an issue. In the end we decided we'd be late for the meeting and try a quick top up at the next super charger. Arrived there to a queue (at 11am) and Uber branded cars charging, luckily only had to wait 10 minutes but plugged in to see 40KW :(running out of time we had to head off without enough charge to make it back to a different charger, but luckily there was a slow charger at our meeting. Headed back down to the southbound supercharger on the M1 with half the stalls taken, and plugged in only to see it bouncing between 45 and 49KW. Went for something to eat and by the time we got back there was enough range to get back to the midlands but needed another stop at hopwood to make it back to gloucester, where luckily those chargers jumped immediately to 120kw (their max) so all in all fairly disappointing, four separate supercharger sites and only one that made it over 50KW and not at times I'd consider busy.
It's clear that some work is still needed to some of these older sites to cope with the coming capacity issues when numbers increase.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Had a couple of meetings in Leeds yesterday so had to drive up from Brum and back, choice was Performance with 200 "miles" on battery after my brother driving into the midlands from gloucester or SR+ with 190 "miles" thought the best solution would be to carry on in the P+ as it'd have a warm battery and it would charge a bit quicker than the SR+, however from Brum you have a choice of two chargers northbound one just outside of barnsley and one just on the border of leeds just off the M62. So we opted for the first one that stated two stalls at 130KW, arrived with one other car and plugged in only to see it hit 30KW then slowly drift down to 24KW. Tried unplugging and plugging in again in case there was an issue. In the end we decided we'd be late for the meeting and try a quick top up at the next super charger. Arrived there to a queue (at 11am) and Uber branded cars charging, luckily only had to wait 10 minutes but plugged in to see 40KW :(running out of time we had to head off without enough charge to make it back to a different charger, but luckily there was a slow charger at our meeting. Headed back down to the southbound supercharger on the M1 with half the stalls taken, and plugged in only to see it bouncing between 45 and 49KW. Went for something to eat and by the time we got back there was enough range to get back to the midlands but needed another stop at hopwood to make it back to gloucester, where luckily those chargers jumped immediately to 120kw (their max) so all in all fairly disappointing, four separate supercharger sites and only one that made it over 50KW and not at times I'd consider busy.
It's clear that some work is still needed to some of these older sites to cope with the coming capacity issues when numbers increase.
Max I got at Woodhall the other day was 55KW. The chap a couple of stalls down hit 100 briefly but also fell away quickly. The network does seem to be slowing down a fair bit according to quite a few reports. The roll-out has also slowed down, just when it really needs to pick up

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I take it you don’t know about Supercharger pairing?
what an arrogant assumption. I clearly stated that all sites were congested.
However an AB paring on a two stall 130WK supercharger does not equal 25KW each.
the point being that this was the fastest I was able to charge at all but the 14 stall Hopwood charging station.
Hopwood has three way "pairing" on many stalls.
So it's all well touting high charging rates, but if you're only going to get it in the evening when no-one else is around then this needs looking into before it becomes a problem.
If I compare this to the (shudders) ecotricity sites, I rarely got under 40KW with both stalls in use. so I was surprised to hit 25KW on a two stall "super" charger installation.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh dear the local tesla troll strikes again.
The point is not that a paired charger that should allow a minimum of 36kw dropped to 25kw, it's that already at none-peak times, at all the chargers I was at I was unable to get even 50kw meaning that there's already a conjestion issue. Not that I had not arrived at the charger to hit the charge curve at a point that I could get more than half the allocation.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I struggled at Grantham today. Pre-conditioning my P+ took the pack from 12 to 35C over 16 miles, arrived with 40% SOC, ambient temp 6C, max charge I could get was 62kW. I gave up after a few minutes and moved to one of the other 15 empty stalls and then only managed 61kW. I normally see 130kW at Grantham even in cold weather.
Car updated to 2019.40... this morning, hope they haven't messed with charging algorithms.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Having watched a few of Bjorn's videos at 35c the car would probably be still needing to heat the pack quite a bit. According to his videos the car continues to heat the pack to over 50c! Which seems to suggest Tesla are very confident in their chemistry. How long did you wait? Are you monitoring it with scan my Tesla or the like?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yes SMT showed it as reaching 54C by 80% SOC when pack heating shut off. It usually shuts off at 50C and starts cooling at 55C. I think active cooling was set to 58 or 60C today from memory.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Had a couple of meetings in Leeds yesterday so had to drive up from Brum and back, choice was Performance with 200 "miles" on battery after my brother driving into the midlands from gloucester or SR+ with 190 "miles" thought the best solution would be to carry on in the P+ as it'd have a warm battery and it would charge a bit quicker than the SR+

@CoWplagued - I am waiting for an M3, so interested in your experience. I currenty drive an e-Golf. Here is I would have thought about it if the Golf had that kind of range...

The GOM says 200 and knows the outside temperature, so it isn't giving me inflated summer figures. It is 120 miles Brum to Leeds (roughly). I don't want to go below 30 miles of range, so I have 170 to play with of the 200 being promised.

Decision is to drive direct to Leeds as I have 50 miles or so of spare range. I will then recharge just outside Leeds for the return, when I will need to add minimum of say 100 miles before setting off back. 100 miles = roughly 30kw = roughly max 45mins charging (20 mins in a perfect world).

Do you find my assumptions very optimistic?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
O I didn't know this, I may have to change my strategy at Hopwood. How are the 3 way shared ones labeled? I guess it should be A B and C but I've not paid that much attention to whats written on them to be honest.
I'm pretty sure no SuC in existence has 3-way-sharing, however would love to be proven wrong.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I struggled at Grantham today. Pre-conditioning my P+ took the pack from 12 to 35C over 16 miles, arrived with 40% SOC, ambient temp 6C, max charge I could get was 62kW. I gave up after a few minutes and moved to one of the other 15 empty stalls and then only managed 61kW. I normally see 130kW at Grantham even in cold weather.
Car updated to 2019.40... this morning, hope they haven't messed with charging algorithms.
Where does it display your pack temperature?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've got an OBD2 dongle plug but I have seen an extra cable for sale with other units, will mine plug straight in wherever the socket may be hiding?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@CoWplagued - I am waiting for an M3, so interested in your experience. I currenty drive an e-Golf. Here is I would have thought about it if the Golf had that kind of range...

The GOM says 200 and knows the outside temperature, so it isn't giving me inflated summer figures. It is 120 miles Brum to Leeds (roughly). I don't want to go below 30 miles of range, so I have 170 to play with of the 200 being promised.

Decision is to drive direct to Leeds as I have 50 miles or so of spare range. I will then recharge just outside Leeds for the return, when I will need to add minimum of say 100 miles before setting off back. 100 miles = roughly 30kw = roughly max 45mins charging (20 mins in a perfect world).

Do you find my assumptions very optimistic?
Depends which M3 you are buying. Both the one supercharger northbound and the supercharger just south of leeds are a small two stall affair in hotel car parks, so if you had an SR+ in anything other than perfect weather in summer you'd be sensible getting a top up before heading back to the M1 southbound charger about 40 miles away in woodall (which has a load of stalls) I think in this instance you'd have to be open to using one of the other charging networks for a quick topup if the superchargers were busy. At least until the Perth supercharger is online.
Performance or LR and you should get all the way there and back to the woodall chargers no problem.
My issue here was that we were in a rush, and had assumed that due to not travelling in rush hour the best idea would be to stick to "normal" motorway speeds (rather than cruise at 65-70) and a quick dash into a supercharger before the meetings would be plenty. However with the congested chargers and strangely low charging rates we would have been better off driving at a much more leisurely pace and charging on the way back when we weren't restricted by time. Taking the charged SR+ would have also been better that a 3rd empty performance as it's far more efficient and would have got more miles out of the slower charge rates.
Either way, we weren't stuck for a charger, just disappointed that in my 5 years of driving EV's I've never seen a rapid charger only putting out 25KW. And yes I know if I'd waited longer than 10 minutes it would have started to increase.

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,409 Posts
Similar experience so yes the SC network in UK needs upgrading ASAP

·
Registered
152 Posts
Once Mondeo man switches to M3, SuC will be a nightmare of overstay cars while rep has a meeting at services. Overstay charges will be offset against fuel savings not a problem.

·
Premium Member
10,455 Posts
The GOM says 200 and knows the outside temperature, so it isn't giving me inflated summer figures.
Are you talking about a Model 3? If so the range shown does NOT change with weather, driving, battery temperature or any other factor. It is simply the "typical" range for the remaining battery.

You can compare your driving to the "typical" consumption on the Energy screen and also see the predicted range based on previous x miles.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts