Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,777 Posts
No, the great unwashed cannot use them.

If we catch you trying, it’ll be a pitchfork in the bum for you...

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,169 Posts
Superchargers in Europe now have CCS but this is only to allow the Model 3 to supercharge as it doesn't use the same Type 2 DC system as the earlier Tesla Model S/X.

They don't have any screens, buttons or apps for a third party vehicles to control them. They obtain the vehicle's VIN (or some other identifier code) through the CCS cable when they plug in and bill their Tesla account accordingly for usage.

It's still Tesla only, and still no other manufacturer has agreed to the terms of joining the charging network.

(See one of my recent posts in the disrespectful new owners thread where I saw someone who tried to plug their i3 in to one and not only did it do nothing but their car got stuck and wouldn't release the cable)

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,777 Posts
They don't have any screens, buttons or apps for a third party vehicles to control them. They obtain the vehicle's VIN (or some other identifier code) through the CCS cable when they plug in and bill their Tesla account accordingly for usage.
Apparently control of the charger and billing is all done by the car. No car data is passed to the charger.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,777 Posts
Still don’t know what they are ;) ie the differences

Guess that’s why you pay twice as much for the car - haha

JJ
They look like a Tesla wall charger. Usually installed at four-star hotels.

Don't tell me you never frequent the Ritz?

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,169 Posts
Apparently control of the charger and billing is all done by the car. No car data is passed to the charger.
Ah. I assumed they were working the same way that Fastned Autocharge worked where the charging unit obtained an identifier and billed accordingly.

I guess doing it the Tesla way, there's less to go wrong with the charger or issues with lost communications. That would definitely help to explain why they are (mostly) far more reliable than some of the other charging networks.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,777 Posts
Ah. I assumed they were working the same way that Fastned Autocharge worked where the charging unit obtained an identifier and billed accordingly.

I guess doing it the Tesla way, there's less to go wrong with the charger or issues with lost communications. That would definitely help to explain why they are (mostly) far more reliable than some of the other charging networks.
Well, they control the full stack, so much easier for them.

I'm guessing it's not always possible to have a data connection at a site (extra complexity and another thing to go wrong).

Whereas all of their cars have connectivity.

This also partly explains why other manufacturers have been put off as they'd have to build in software to talk to Tesla's servers. I'm sure Tesla would also insist on similar charging performance, so as not to block chargers.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,150 Posts

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
The Tesla "CCS" superchargers do not keep to the CCS spec, they use the Tesla charging protocols with a CCS shaped plug. The Model 3 can speak both CCS and Tesla language for DC charging.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,294 Posts
I’m stuck with Ecotricity CCS then

JJ
You're not stuck with Ecotricity at all.

Instavolt, Polar, Geniepoint, CYC and others all operate CCS rapid chargers, and usually more reliable with it.

Tesla CCS Superchargers are not free either, they still have to pay.

Judging by the Scotch Corner site lately, they often have to wait as well.

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
Well, they control the full stack, so much easier for them.

I'm guessing it's not always possible to have a data connection at a site (extra complexity and another thing to go wrong).

Whereas all of their cars have connectivity.

This also partly explains why other manufacturers have been put off as they'd have to build in software to talk to Tesla's servers. I'm sure Tesla would also insist on similar charging performance, so as not to block chargers.
Yeah, it is almost as if Tesla thought all this stuff through rather than shove a battery and a motor into a slightly modified ICE bodyshell :LOL:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts