Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noob question here about my pending Model 3. It has a CCS port, but the top part of the CCS port is the Type 2 / Tesla part. Given that Model S's etc have only this part, does this mean that the Model 3 can use either charge cable at the Tesla Superchargers? And if not, why not?

Many thanks

·
Striving for a greener planet
143 Posts
No, the Model S/X has a modified type 2 port. When the supercharger type 2 cable is connected it switches from AC to DC. The supercharger cable itself only supplies DC. That way the one type 2 connector can do both.

If plugged into a M3 nothing will happen and will probably just throw an error

·
143 Posts
Technically Superchargers aren’t CCS. They just use the CCS or Type 2 plug.
Are we definitely sure on that? Only reason I ask, if Tesla were to open up the charging network to other parties, surely it would be easier if that was a standard CCS plug. I don't know the answer but would genuinely like to know.
If it's not a CCS / Type 2 how does it work on outside networks?

·
Registered
520 Posts
So far my limited experience of supercharging (keele s/b on friday evening, keele n/b sunday afternoon) is that MS/MX owners are unaware of the CCS situation.

I parked up at keele NB on one of the two CCS stalls (4B) and plugged in. A friendly and helpful X owner immediately came over and asked if I knew about the charge sharing because there was a model S on 4A. I explained that yes I did, but only 4A and 4B had the CCS cables and I could not use the others, so it was actually the model S owner that needed to move (as 2A/B and 3A/B were empty). He didn't realise that the 3 could not use the others.

Then the Model S owner returned and I said (nicely!) to him that we'd both get a better charge rate (as I was only at 28kW) if he moved to another stall because I couldn't use any others, he merely replied "No, no, it's all good"....

Tesla should have a message set up in Model S/X to encourage owners to plug into a non-CCS stall if an unpaired one is available. However, that would be a temporary fix, because the real fix is to put CCS on all of them - especially somewhere like keele (where only 2 CCS available out of 8 stalls northbound).

·
Registered
11,021 Posts
Are we definitely sure on that? Only reason I ask, if Tesla were to open up the charging network to other parties, surely it would be easier if that was a standard CCS plug. I don't know the answer but would genuinely like to know.
If it's not a CCS / Type 2 how does it work on outside networks?
Pretty sure, at least from the protocol standpoint.

I believe the issue for third party usage is they’d need to support the proprietary Supercharger protocols in order to use the network.

Of course the Model 3 supports the CCS standard as well, but we were talking about the Supercharger network here. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if I knew about the charge sharing
Wait, this is news to me - so 2 x Teslas charging next to eachother half the charge rate?! That's not good at all, there's going to be thousands of us very soon. A charge rate of 28Kw is hopeless for a long trip.

·
Registered
11,021 Posts
Wait, this is news to me - so 2 x Teslas charging next to eachother half the charge rate?! That's not good at all, there's going to be thousands of us very soon. A charge rate of 28Kw is hopeless for a long trip.
Not quite.

The first car has priority on the charge and gets full power. The second one on the pair gets a lower charge until the first one tapers off.

In practice it doesn’t last very long so long as everyone is sensible.

·
143 Posts
Didn't I here with the new V3 that basically everyone will get full power whether sharing or not? Bjorn I think...

·
Registered
520 Posts
In practice it doesn’t last very long so long as everyone is sensible.
Indeed - but my point was that it seems that some MS/MX owners are not aware of the CCS caveat and thus don't figure this into their thinking. There were 4 other stalls that the MS could have selected at the time when he arrived (ie unshared non-CCS stalls) that would have meant that I wasn't rate limited.

I didn't press on him to move because I only needed a few % in order to make sure I'd make my full journey without having to slow down and I got what I needed by the time I'd gone for a pee, even at 28kW (picked up about 10% SoC).

Didn't I here with the new V3 that basically everyone will get full power whether sharing or not? Bjorn I think...
There's no sharing with V3 - all stalls fully powered.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I think there's a few potentially confusing comments, maybe just the way I read them.
Indeed - but my point was that it seems that some MS/MX owners are not aware of the CCS caveat and thus don't figure this into their thinking. There were 4 other stalls that the MS could have selected at the time when he arrived (ie unshared non-CCS stalls) that would have meant that I wasn't rate limited.

I didn't press on him to move because I only needed a few % in order to make sure I'd make my full journey without having to slow down and I got what I needed by the time I'd gone for a pee, even at 28kW (picked up about 10% SoC).

There's no sharing with V3 - all stalls fully powered.
Which just means the roll out will take a long time in the UK as the power supply to superchargers is already the limiting factor in many locations, its not a case of turn up with a new box of tricks.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Many of the stations are fully converted. I’m guessing they roll them out to all stations in due course.
Some are, but provision up the M6 is very poor - 2 @ Keele, 2 @ Charnock Richard, 2 @ Tebay.

Which just means the roll out will take a long time in the UK as the power supply to superchargers is already the limiting factor in many locations, its not a case of turn up with a new box of tricks.
Obviously overall site limiting may apply, but there's no shared inverters in V3. I believe that V3 will generally be supported by PowerPack installations so that network connections do not need to be increased.

I also don't understand why they are not using the "Model 3 priority" stickers on them like the used to use in the US.
They never used such stickers in the USA. Model 3 has the same charge port as S/X in USA - there's no such thing as a dual-cable supercharger there.

·
Registered
882 Posts
When you think a current charger pair share about 130-150kw, and if a V3 charger needs something like 250kw for one, the site capacity would reduce by 1/3 to a 1/4 without the feed being improved - powerpacks would need to be massive and they already apply diversity in the calcs which a powerpack essentially helps smooth

1 - 20 of 43 Posts