Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was in Sunderland a few years ago (before I ever planned on buying an EV) I noticed an electric car charging bay at an Asda supermarket. Having just seen another thread about Morrison's charging bays, I'm wondering if my fellow Scottish EV owners have seen supermarkets with charging.
This would be an ideal place to plug in for me as it's somewhere I have to go anyway and I have no home charging, but unfortunately I haven't seen any supermarket north of the border with bays. How common/uncommon are these in Scotland?

·
Registered
64 Posts
When I was in Sunderland a few years ago (before I ever planned on buying an EV) I noticed an electric car charging bay at an Asda supermarket. Having just seen another thread about Morrison's charging bays, I'm wondering if my fellow Scottish EV owners have seen supermarkets with charging.
This would be an ideal place to plug in for me as it's somewhere I have to go anyway and I have no home charging, but unfortunately I haven't seen any supermarket north of the border with bays. How common/uncommon are these in Scotland?
None in the Stirling area that I know of - only chargers are in the local park and ride, Vue Cinema complex, university and college campuses and Stirling Council - no supermarket chargers. Visiting my parents in Dunbar on Sunday and there are chargers in the local Asda car park there although not sure if Asda own the car park - again it may be council land.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
There are three Asda's within 20 miles from me, as two of these locations are poorly installed with inadequate earthing I can only charge at one of them, being Polar charge points it also costs to charge on them.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Whereabouts are you Ryan? You can do a search on Asda's store locator (put in your home town first) and then there is a filter for EV charging. But the spaces are often ICEd in my experience. It costs £1.20 even for a 'free' charge so not worth it for a PHEV, but allegedly you can still borrow a card from some stores....

·
Registered
610 Posts
How does £1.20 = a free charge? The ASDA sites will not work with a Charge Place Scotland card - you need to use a Chargemaster, Polar or phone App. I've not been charged anything to use them, and the Customer Service desk usually has blank white cards to offer as loaners on request - always assuming they've not lost them all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts