Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Can I few recent new owners of the 2017 e-Golf please tell me what charging cables were supplied with their new car? I was expecting to find two :
(1) The Type 2 to UK 3-pin (BS 1363) - Charging cable for UK Mains socket which has the protection unit in-line.
(2) A Type-2 to Type-2 Charge Cable for use at public charge points (or at home charge point where it's not a tethered cable)

I was surprised to find mine was only supplied with the first one. I raised it when I did the handover but the sales rep. didn't seem to know nor did his colleague who only remarked "what you mean like the GTE [that comes with both]". To me it seems odd that VW would supply both leads for the GTE and only the first one for the e-Golf ! Also the handover check list has a item : "Both charge cables are included". (the whole lot has been pre-ticked by the sales rep. and I was just asked to sign. - I was pretty tired when I picked the car up and I didn't spot it at the time.)
Thanks.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Two cables is correct,granny cable with 13amp plug comes with the car,second lead is the 7.5 kw cable for using on fast charging when required,this is sent separately from the car to the dealer you should chase them.They are very expensive I believe. I had to chase mine through VW uk .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your reply and any others that can be added below. Any other e-Golf owners out there that can share their personal experience of collection of a new eGolf - did you get one charging cable or two?

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Is definitely both cables. It seems crazy that they still haven't sorted this, we were having this discussion the end of last year when the first cars were coming through.

The dealer has to order the cable in, as dieselgate said, and it isn't the same cable as the one supplied with the gte. The gte cable is 16amp and you want a 32amp cable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dealer did supply me with the 32A cable when I pursued the matter. Really odd it doesn't come with the car!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine came with both, the 3 pin plug charger came in a bag with a pull string and the 32 amp type two cable came in a nice little zip up bag.

·
Registered
78 Posts
There was much discussion about this on the "delivery checklist" thread around March/April

A few days before I collected my car in March I emailed the dealer to check that I had both cables, and sent the following pictures, as he informed me that it had only got the granny lead...

His reply was as follows...

Dear Jonathan

Thank you for your email

Think I have discovered why this lead was not in the car. I have called VW as it was unusual not to be in the car and it transpires that the second lead is automatically ordered into the parts department as opposed to being supplied with the car.

As you are aware this was ordered via our Derby site which I believe where the confusion has occurred. We have ordered a replacement from VW. We have checked with VW supply - the part is in stock and will be with us first thing tomorrow via the overnight delivery service.

Thank you for highlighting the second cable issue

Kind regards

To Comfirm the car should come with a lead with a 3 pin plug (granny lead/2Kw Lead) and a 7Kw 32amp type 2 lead...

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts