Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

My e-Golf finally arrives on 1st Sept, having ordered it in mid-Sept. Longest wait I've ever had for a car.

I've currently trying to figure out charging the car at home and getting a charger installed. Currently likely to go with the EO Mini Smart Charger due to it's overall size and footprint and the space we have available for it (and the current Octopus offer). Not completely decided though as I don't have solar so don't really need all the additional features. Tempted by the Ohme charger.

Anyway, the question. Can any current e-Golf owners tell me how long the standard Type 2 cable is thats supplied with the car? I'm hoping its 5m, but if someone can let me know?

I called the dealer who is supplier the car and they couldn't help!

Thanks

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,412 Posts
Why don't you get a tethered charger? IMHO, much better and more comfortable than using your car cable.

Anyway, there are 2 charging cables that come with the car: EVSE (a.k.a. granny or brick for 3-pin UK sockets) and it is about 6 - 7m long; and the Type 2 charging cable (that you will have to use with the EO Mini) that is 5m long.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perfect. Actually the tethered option isn't out of the question. Just trying to figure out the best charger to go for to work with the eGolf. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated as I'm new to EVs. Tethered is certainlt appealing, but the dimensions need to be fairly small.

Thanks for confirming the lengths of cable!

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,412 Posts
Do you mean dimensions of the wall charger? Or only length of cable?

The smallest one that I can think of is the Rolec (nice white-green colour). But generally they are not very small. Also, if you are good with electronics, there are online guides to building your own wall charger, so then you can probably define the wall footprint yourself.

On the length side, some tethered charger providers used to offer various lengths of cables, I'm not sure that is available any more.

And final point, don't worry about the e-Golf, get a "future proof" charger: at least 32A with what ever you can get bundled inside: online access, power meter, connection with solar, etc. All of these will be much more important in the long term than, the Golf. Obviously, this is only relevant if you are planning to use this charger long long term.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Yes, I mean the dimensions of the charger. I've measured up the space we have with a few and it became clear very quickly that they can be massive. The cable just needs to be at least 5m, so I should be ok with most tethered chargers I guess.

And yes, definitely in it for the long haul with EVs. I have this eGolf for 2 years on a lease, then I'll be looking to see whats new. Figured 2 years was a nice time to get used to the EV life and then decide what to have for a longer length of time. Although I'm not exactly doing a lot of driving right now!

Thanks for the tips on just future proofing. I'll look more seriously into tethered chargers now. Any thoughts on the Ohme wall charger?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
slightly unrelated, but does anyone know where I can get an up to date PDF of the eGolf manual so I can read up before it arrives?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,412 Posts
You should be able to get it from VW website using the registration of the car (if you know it). If you don't know it, consider going through this forum and copy one. ;)

I forgot to mention, that you have to consider the charge port location on the car. On the e-Golf, the charge port is where you will find the fuel door on a normal petrol car. How does that play with your parking arrangement?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On the charge port location, it should be fine. It'll just mean I drive onto the drive a different way around depending on where we end up putting the charger. thanks for the tip on the manual. I'll try the VW site now.

·
Registered
188 Posts
We got the EO mini, can recommend it. However one small problem which annoyed me at first, on the app there is only the small battery E-golf in the menu so the estimator is always slightly out. I put the Leaf 36kwh in and it gets a better estimate of state of charge.

As for cable length i can just about plug it in facing the wall, so I reverse in the drive and take it easy. We live on a main road and I dont want some Herbert looking in the charge port

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
449 Posts
If the location where the charger sits is visible from the front of the house, I wouldn't go tethered.
Why choose an ultra compact charge point then tether a massive hunk of cable and plug to it?
I have an EO Mini Pro, and apart from a few quirks with the app it's a super compact unit that I like a lot. At least the app seems to accurately report charge times and rates.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts