Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, you read that right. Everyone else supplies a 32A Type 2 charging cable for being out and about, but Polestar provides a measly 16A cable. If you want to charge at 7Kw on a Type 2 post, you will need to fork out for a 32A cable.

Had this confirmed today by Polestar. I did point out this was somewhat below par...

·
Registered
288 Posts
I don't think 'everyone else' supplies a 32A three phase cable.

Some supply a 32A single phase cable - but you'd then be complaining that you can't charge at 11kW on a three phase charger.

The only way to please everyone in this situation would be to supply a heavy and expensive 32A three phase cable.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't say 32A three phase cable, I said 32A cable. The Kona/e-Niro/Soul, Zoe and multiple others supply a single-phase 32A cable which I would expect as a minimum. 3 phase is something quite different. Remember many people get a 7kW home installation without a tethered cable; they're going to be really annoyed when they plug their car into it, having being told it will charge at 7kW at home, only to find it doesn't finish charging overnight.

·
Registered
16,899 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
You can’t please all of the people all of the time. I can’t understand why anyone would have an untethered charger at home though.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've never found them to be particularly heavy, or very expensive.
I meant 'relatively', sorry. In that they are heavier, and are more expensive. I appreciate the there is no real world difference. But when a beancounter is looking at this, they're going to go for the cheapest option!

Anyway, you've demonstrated there with that link, that if this is a real problem for anyone, they can solve it for £130!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yes, it's absolute madness, but not much different to the crazy prices most manufacturers quote for such things. Wonder if it has 'Swedish Gold' contacts :D

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I didn't say 32A three phase cable, I said 32A cable. The Kona/e-Niro/Soul, Zoe and multiple others supply a single-phase 32A cable which I would expect as a minimum. 3 phase is something quite different. Remember many people get a 7kW home installation without a tethered cable; they're going to be really annoyed when they plug their car into it, having being told it will charge at 7kW at home, only to find it doesn't finish charging overnight.
What @stevelup is saying that a 3-Phase 32A cable would allow you to charger at either : 32A Single Phase - 7kW or Up to 22kw 3 Phase (although Polestar is limited to 11kW)

In the EU most people use 3 Phase Supply so a 3 Phase 16A cable makes sense.

In the UK most people use a Single Phase supply at home at 32A - and this is a problem if you are using Non-tethered charger and the supplied cable as it will limit to 3.6kw.

I do disagree with Steve on the price difference, one is £130 and the other £160 ... I'm sure Polestar could have given everyone a 32A 3 Phase.

Makes you wonder why Polestar want £490 for theirs.
Same way any car company chargers way OTT prices for options .... because some people are stupid and just buy them without researching. Seen how much they charge for roof bars, child seats, etc... ??

·
Registered
263 Posts
You can’t please all of the people all of the time. I can’t understand why anyone would have an untethered charger at home though.
and herein lies the problem with this forum.....it’s full of people who can’t see beyond their own needs and even attempt to understand why someone else would choose to do something different to them....
however thanks for the info -good job I’ve already got a 10m 32A cable but I guess you can’t comprehend why I’d have one of those either

(and Steve I don’t want to offend most of the stuff you post is very useful)

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I'm pissed off I have to spend £160 on a 32A three phase cable ... as I don't really want 3 cables. I also want to use destination chargers a lot, which in the UK tend to be untethered 7kW.

But then if I'm ok spending £49k on a car, does £160 make that much difference?

·
Registered
2020 Polestar 2
180 Posts
This must be an oversight on Polestar's part surely? I appreciate that on a 22kW post charging at 11kW will be possible but given the choice I would rather have a full 7kW at a slower post. At 3.xkW it's hardly worth the faff of plugging in to a public charger unless you're parked there for hours. I'll shell out for the appropriate lead but it irks me.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yes, it's a bad decision. If they had supplied a 32A three phase cable, it would have satisfied everyone. Those who want to charge at 11kW (3x16A) and those who want to charge at 7.2kw (1x32A).

It was a daft choice of cable to include. Great for most of Europe where multi-phase electricity supplies are common. Less useful here.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm pissed off I have to spend £160 on a 32A three phase cable ... as I don't really want 3 cables. I also want to use destination chargers a lot, which in the UK tend to be untethered 7kW.
You could probably sell the Polestar one and recover most of what you spent on the new one.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 in void and standard suspension
99 Posts
Any thoughts as to why I could not get a BMW 1phase 32A cable to deliver 7KW

·
Registered
288 Posts
You're talking about the public PodPoint one you mentioned in your other post? Not your home charger?

Are you certain the public charger was 32A? Couple of council car parks near me have 16A chargers in them as they expect you to be leaving your car there for several hours whilst shopping / theatre etc.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Any thoughts as to why I could not get a BMW 1 phase 32A cable to deliver 7KW
Is it you with the dodgy chargemaster box?

As I can't see why it wouldn't ...

If you are talking about a charger out and about, you'd need to link the charger in Zap Maps as I would knot what type of charger it is.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One thing to note: on the Polestar shop, there are numerous "Europe" spec chargers with various numbers of phases. I do believe this is designed for UK single phase charging but we'll see. I've sent them a Tweet to ask if it's single or three phase.

With charging cables, it's each to their own. People have different circumstances; for instance when I had an Ampera, it was a Type 1 connector. Then we got a Kona and it was a Type 2 connector. If I'd had an untethered charge point, it would just be a different cable, but I had a tethered Type 1 cable. I had to buy a tethered Type 2 cable and change it myself. Some people don't like the aesthetics of a cable permanently on display or believe it's asking to be nicked by the local scum. As I say - each to their own. However Polestar should have included support for 7kW home charging in the UK, I think that's clear.

Interestingly if you go to their "Charging speed calculator", it shows 3.7Kw as a home charging option:

They quote 24 hours to charge at 3.7kW! That's just unacceptable as people expect it to charge overnight if they've installed a 7kW charger.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I think they just don't understand what is the norm in the UK (single phase 32A)

It does support this doesn't it? Surely someone somewhere has had the car charging at 7.2kW in the UK.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The info is on their website, I'd agree not particularly obvious but it's there.

Both AC and DC charging work with the Polestar 2. It comes with two cables that are suitable for the most commonly-used charging options. To charge using an ordinary domestic socket with the appropriate fusing, use the 7-metre Mode 2 cable*. For a faster charge from a wall box or charging station, use the 4.5-metre Mode 3 cable**.

For faster charging at a home, garage or workshop without a wall box, you can buy extra cables to connect to a medium-power “camping” outlet (blue, 3.5kW, single-phase), or a high-power “industrial” outlet (red, 11kW, triple-phase). These cables are available from the Polestar extras web shop if you have ordered a Polestar car. You’ll also need the correct connectors for the outlet.

* 7m cable specifications: 1P 230V, 10A 2.3kW.
** 4.5m cable specifications: 3P 400V, 16A 11kW.

Polestar charging cable

1 - 20 of 50 Posts