Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GT-Line R135 Rapid Charge in Flame Red 😀
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an e-mail from 38 degrees (text below) with some surprise (potential) good news. The government has "promised" to make zero carbon emissions part of UK law.

I'm not sure exactly how they plan to do this but there are some links at the bottom that give more info. We are encouraged to write to our local MP's to put pressure on the government to push ahead and not renege on their "promise". Thought I would share it in the hope that other EV'ers will also write to their MP (template e-mail created by 38 degrees also below). Hopefully it will be good news in the future.

Dear Steve,

Wow, that was unexpected. The government’s just promised to make zero carbon emissions part of UK law. [1] It’s exactly the kind of big, bold action 38 Degrees members have wanted on climate change. It could be a game-changer.

But right now it’s just a promise. And there are plenty of ways it could get derailed - the government backtracking, opposition in parliament or bureaucracy slowing it down. [2] What’s going to cut through all this and hold the government to their promise is pressure from their own colleagues - our MPs.

Our MPs will be weighing up this news right now. So let’s get in their inboxes and get them to back the government’s new position. Together we can keep a tally of what MPs say and hold them to it later down the line - so they can keep the government on track.

Please will you email your MP, [MP Name], now and ask what they’ll do to make sure the government sticks to their promise?

For a while, it felt like there was no good news on climate change. But the tide’s turning. Recently we’ve seen the world agreeing on real commitments in Paris, the biggest energy lobby in the UK backing renewables, and now the government promising zero carbon emissions. [3]

There’s still a long way to go but together we’re making sure things keep moving in the right direction. The government’s going to have to make some big choices if they want to put zero emissions into law - and right now there’s no real plan on the table. So we need to come together to make sure they get the backing of MPs.

Can you email your MP, [MP Name], now and ask him to hold the government to their promise?

Thanks for everything you do,

Maddy, Rachel and the 38 Degrees team

NOTES:
[1] BBC: Climate change deal: ‘Zero carbon’ laws promised by government:
Climate change deal: 'Zero carbon' laws promised by government - BBC News
Guardian: Zero carbon emissions target to be enshrined in UK law
Zero carbon emissions target to be enshrined in UK law
[2] The government have said they will produce a plan for enshrining the net-zero emissions target into law later this year.
BusinessGreen: Government confirms zero emission Paris goal to be enshrined in law
Government confirms zero-emission Paris goal to be enshrined in law
[3] The Guardian: Paris climate deal: Nearly 200 nations sign in end to fossil fuel era
Paris climate deal: nearly 200 nations sign in end of fossil fuel era
The Guardian: Top lobbying group in historic green energy u turn
Top lobbying group in historic green energy U-turn

The template e-mail (which can be amended as you wish) reads as follows:

I'm thrilled to see the government has promised to enshrine in law the UK's commitment to achieve zero carbon emissions.

But until there's a real plan on the table, I'm concerned this promise won't be turned into action.

Please will you explain what you are going to do personally to hold the government to account on their promise?

·
Registered
754 Posts
I'm thrilled to see the government has promised to enshrine in law the UK's commitment to achieve zero carbon emissions.....
But until there's a real plan on the table, I'm concerned this promise won't be turned into action.
I'm just back from a seminar today updating my rusty memory of the building regs. A few years ago there was target of zero carbon new buildings in the UK by 2016 ( under the regs). This would be effectively delivered by use of renewable technologies. Listening to an expert from one of the leading private building control companies today it now seems this objective has been dropped and the policy is now adoption of EU directive (EPBD) for a new policy of ' Near Zero Energy Buildings) to be adopted by 2019 for Public Buildings and 2020 for all buildings. So the new plan seems to retreat from the original plan for zero carbon emissions. We had a few years ago enshrined in law a Climate Change Act with carbon budgets implementing action plans so yes we should be concerned.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I have already written to my local MP , Mr Alan MAK a new boy from last year. All I got back was the normal Party claptrap.
I am still awaiting a reply to a direct question re the Human Rights Act, (He purports to be a Lawyer) I don't expect much from any question re 'Green' matters.

·
Registered
9,199 Posts
Done.

As George Osborne might say, "I am not prepared to look back at my time here in this Parliament, doing this job, and say to my children’s generation, ‘I’m sorry. We knew the danger of climate change was real. We knew it would cause a global catastrophe, but we ducked the difficult decisions and we did nothing,"

·
Registered
784 Posts
I've emailed my local MP. Decided not to use the 38 Degrees site to do it though as practically nobody reads those emails now and all you tend to get is a template response back.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Done.

As George Osborne might say, "I am not prepared to look back at my time here in this Parliament, doing this job, and say to my children’s generation, ‘I’m sorry. We knew the danger of climate change was real. We knew it would cause a global catastrophe, but we ducked the difficult decisions and we did nothing,"
I was thinking exactly the same thing when I heard that quote but 50K deaths p/a due to air pollution obviously isn't as serious as tackling the Chancellor's kid's obesity.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
I had a thought process along the very same lines - he used did he not in regard to tax on sugar but Climate Change is surely the big issue he will be judged on.
The 'defender of the next generation' (BTW who will soon be able to vote and will be the majority when us oldies shuffle off) felt able to take on the soft drinks industry but not the oil and gas industry.
Hard on sugar, soft on fossil fuel, nowhere on renewables is our George. We are not fooled.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GT-Line R135 Rapid Charge in Flame Red 😀
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've emailed my local MP. Decided not to use the 38 Degrees site to do it though as practically nobody reads those emails now and all you tend to get is a template response back.
Likewise I amended the template considerably but thought I would pass it on as a starting point for others to use if they wanted to write to their MP.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I am fully confident that the UK will make zero emissions a legal requirement. There will be a period of adjustment to allow industry to comply, with a commencement date for the process of 2047 and an adjustment period of 38 years. In this way, 1. us old fogeys and protestors will be dead, 2. the impact of climate change will be so obvious that even a dead dog will understand it. and 3. All Tory voters will have been able to sell their shares for a profit.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
I am fully confident that the UK will make zero emissions a legal requirement. There will be a period of adjustment to allow industry to comply, with a commencement date for the process of 2047 and an adjustment period of 38 years. In this way, 1. us old fogeys and protestors will be dead, 2. the impact of climate change will be so obvious that even a dead dog will understand it. and 3. All Tory voters will have been able to sell their shares for a profit.
The only time we are likely to see zero emissions on UK roads is when they are flooded by rising sea levels.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts