Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

Just back from test driving the eniro and ID3. With both cars (and my current egolf) I put the seat in my perfect driving position and measured the gap from the back of the seat to the rear seat. Surprisingly the eniro had a whole 5cm extra vs the ID3 and the ID3 was exactly the same as the Egolf!

Am i missing something here? I thought the longer wheel base of the ID3 would mean extra rear space but seems like its all in the front and the boot.

Clueless salesman said "oh thats because the ID3 is based on the same platform as the golf" :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: cah197

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
You must be missing something because the ID3 is a lot bigger than a Golf inside, in the back especially. I had 2 MK7 Golf's and more recently a 2019 Audi A4 Avant. The ID3 gives marginally more rear legroom in the back the way I set both cars up as driver. It's the main reason I swapped the A4 for an ID3 and didn't consider a Golf (as it is definitely smaller than the A4 inside for passengers).

I can only assume that you've set up the driving position in the ID3 a bit odd, which is making you stretch your legs more than you otherwise would in the driving position, and having the seat back further on the rails as a result.

The turning circle on the ID3 is tiny vs my old Golf GTD and R, as a consequence to having the wheels set far in the corners. The cabin space is a lot bigger because you've the same overall length, yet there's at least a foot shaved off the bonnet length, probably more. If all that's in the front for you, I'd suggest that you've got your seat set back at furthered than you would in the Golf.

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
649 Posts
I’ve always found my passengers are very happy with space in the back of the ID3, even 6 footers.
But in the end it is in the compact car category and an eNiro is an SUV.
From a Whatcar comparison of backseat space between the two…
“It’s a close-run thing. The ID.3 offers more room for your feet under its front seats than the e-Niro, but a tall middle passenger will find their head brushing the roof lining.
They won’t in the e-Niro, and, because it’s also the widest in the rear, it is ultimately the most accommodating car here”.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
542 Posts
I’m 6’1 and can easily sit comfortably behind where I have the driver seat, a lot more room than my previous C-class Merc.

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The old back of the front seat to the rear seat measurement hey. You must have some serious gangsta lean going on with the ID front seat!
Spent a long time on my test drive for both adjusting to make sure i had it exactly where i would! Loved the ID3 otherwise so its a shame.

The main reason for it is kids in the back. With the car seats they end up sitting really far forwards and they will only get bigger!

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m 6’1 and can easily sit comfortably behind where I have the driver seat, a lot more room than my previous C-class Merc.
6'6 here with legs of a 7 footer so i pretty much need the chair all the way back in most cars! When we went on test drives years ago for our first EV i had to discount the leaf completely as the seat didnt go back enough!

Reactions: scott28tt

·
Registered
VW ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
79 Posts
My ID.3 has similar rear leg room to my previous Passat Estate. Much more than a Golf. In line with the comments of others, I wouldn't have bought an ID.3 if the rear legroom had been poor. I will never forget a family holiday in a Vauxhall Astra, five tall adults, the three in the back endured agonies all the way to the Lake District and back. Never again.

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You guys are making me doubt my measuring methodology now!

·
Registered
Seat Ibiza- contemplating an ID.3
181 Posts
It's also worth considering if the ID.3 has a different size seat squab. The back seat on my Ibiza is quite short, which gives the illusion of more leg room than there actually is, because the squab is actually not under all of your thighs. Budget airlines use this trick too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts