Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought my Mk8 GTE last October. The range on pure electric was in the region of 26 to 28 miles. Living in a rural area, speeds are in the region 50 to 60 mph dropping to 30 mph in villages and towns. Now that the weather has warmed up with the same sort of journeys I am getting around 35 miles. Obviously giving it the beans, especially in Sports mode and leaving it in the electric only setting, can get it down to 21 miles. Even less if I did the whole of battery charge at ‘enthusiastic’ speeds.

Overall I am pleased with the range since the vast majority of my journeys are less than 30 miles. When I do go on a long journey the small but surprisingly lively engine will do most of the work but economy is reasonable since the car then intimidates a ‘self charging hybrid’ plus it will top up the battery using the charger when the car is under light load which is saved for later slow 30 mph town driving or when maximum power is required (overtaking etc).

Driving in hybrid mode means that when going for a quick overtake or just ‘going for it’ the acceleration never fails to impress. Bloody hell it’s quick.

When the weather cools in the autumn I suspect the reduced range will be annoying though but, Hey Ho!

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I've always classed the GTE as having enough range for popping to the shops and back, but always a bit shorter than you want.

A 15kWh battery would be nice but I suspect there is a crossover point that is rapidly approaching where just using a large battery is cheaper than a medium battery + engine (ID.3 for instance sells for less in 58kWh version than the GTE did in 2015.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts