Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am conducting a survey to analyze the EV drivers' pain points and identify possible ways to ensure a stress-free EV experience. The survey will take you about 5 minutes to complete. It is fully anonymous, however, if you wish to share some feedback regarding your EV experience, you can message me.

EV Experience Survey

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
The main pain point of EV's is the proliferation of unwanted and useless apps for charging etc. Probably the main problem with phones now as well are apps. Every maker seems to think they have the latest and greatest idea to consume more data / ram /$ etc. I have managed to keep it down to 4 on top of the standard junk with the phone.

Once there is good network of charging places with contactless payment then the main problems are over.

Battery management is now generally well controlled by the BMS in cars with manf. setting boundaries to keep degradation to a minimum. Some early cars have problems, not all - the Volts now 8 years old are still not showing degradation to the owner though no doubt the batteries have some.

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
427 Posts
Right now we need better awareness of en-route charging points that suit our needs. We're generally going to be there for 30 mins, say, so we need
a) to know the charging point exists
b) is good for our car
c) is working
d) is free or probable cost and how to pay
e) facilities, incl toilets, cover over the car, drinks, snacks, restaurant, walks, picnic areas etc etc
f) if that charging point is a fail, what options do I have.

Also need to know about destination charging, similar questions but can be different. At the very least a destination charger is somewhere you are more likely to definitely go to, eg connected to a hotel.

When an EV driver is happy about these then the next step can be route & charging optimisation. So a big question is "is this charging point worth a detour off our main route." The main route possibly being the motorway.

So suppose I am driving on holiday and want to go off-piste from the main auto-route. A nice stop under some trees in a quiet spot recommended by other EV drivers could be amazing. That's what I am looking for in a charging app.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I am conducting a survey to analyze the EV drivers' pain points and identify possible ways to ensure a stress-free EV experience. The survey will take you about 5 minutes to complete. It is fully anonymous, however, if you wish to share some feedback regarding your EV experience, you can message me.

EV Experience Survey
More charging points, and action to make sure they are available (working, not ICEd)
Its not difficult & doesn't need a survey. Or an app.

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,630 Posts

EV Experience Survey
No Please, No Thankyou? I'm Out.

·
Super Moderator
11,714 Posts

EV Experience Survey
Done.

What we need are more public charge points in locations that are useful.

What we don't need is a 3rd party app that replicates what the car already does.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why?

Please be open about your reasons for conducting this research and whom, if anyone, is funding it. You'll find this forum a lot more receptive if you're honest.
You are totally right. My bad.

The company I work for is collaborating with multiple carmakers. We are not app developers, we are data scientists. We create machine learning algorithms for OEMs which are then integrated into car's HMI or a brand companion app. We have a great experience optimizing different systems for ICE cars, however, now we received several requests from different carmakers to optimize EV systems. For that reason, we decided to start by asking real EV drivers about their pains so that we could make sure that we address the right problems.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
I thought most cars had a built in 'service due' nag these days anyway. I can't imagine there'd be much need for an app, never mind one that costs you.

·
Super Moderator
11,714 Posts
LEAF and i3 both have a service nag. The LEAF one had to be set by the owner -- usless but the dealer nagged me.

We have a great experience optimizing different systems for ICE cars, however, now we received several requests from different carmakers to optimize EV systems.
Integrating realtime status of public charge points would be helpful. Most (all) EV navigation have a list of charge points and will recommend them if your planned route is beyond charge range.

What they don't do is suggest only points that are working and the driver can access.

Integrating payment for charging would also be usefull. Paying for a charge is often the most difficult part of charging away from home.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought most cars had a built in 'service due' nag these days anyway. I can't imagine there'd be much need for an app, never mind one that costs you.
Actually, most of the carmakers do have a built-in system or a brand mobile companion app, but the algorithms for them are created by different software companies like ours ;)

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
343 Posts

EV Experience Survey
Yet another survey.
When it was time for university dissertations to be submitted there was a proliferation of surveys on this forum. Now it's time for another round.
We provide the information for you to use, but what is in it for us?

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 Long Range and Zoe 22kWh
6 Posts
You are totally right. My bad.

The company I work for is collaborating with multiple carmakers. We are not app developers, we are data scientists. We create machine learning algorithms for OEMs which are then integrated into car's HMI or a brand companion app. We have a great experience optimizing different systems for ICE cars, however, now we received several requests from different carmakers to optimize EV systems. For that reason, we decided to start by asking real EV drivers about their pains so that we could make sure that we address the right problems.
Mini-Rant: If you use an acronym, please explain it (HMI = Human machine Interface? I don't want to RTFM to understand an ETLA). [end Mini-Rant]

First of all, good luck, get stuck in and enjoy. Avoid the data science and spreadsheets and get a qualitative feel for what people say. I really hope you can positively influence Electric Vehicle (EV adoption). I suspect that the managers/clients would do better to drive a Tesla for a week.

I'm not as experienced as many on this forum, I have a Tesla Model 3 Long Range that is effortless to use and charge even on roadtrips of thousands of miles across Europe and at least 6 countries. We also have a Zoe 22kW that I found quite stressful to do a 70 mile trip when I bought it. That was due to a variety of factors that may not repeat but included me being tired after work and travel by public transport to seller, haggling and test rides, driving in rain, driving around an unknown crowded city, only 40 miles of charge in car, broken chargers, missing a turning/junction and needing a different app for each charger).

What I'm trying to say is that to a large degree, Tesla has done the hard work - just look at their conclusions and actions. Copy them.

Go to Netherlands and Norway, copy them. Then go to Italy and do the opposite (one broken 50kW charger in a co-op miles from a main road - others a long distance away, similarly broken).

I'm not sure how I could have got to Rome in anything other than a Tesla, it is probably do-able but a real pain with kids, wanting to visit some attractions and on a schedule. Even in a Tesla 3 long range we had 1 range anxiety in Italy (went off-piste looking at stuff in hills) and 1 in Germany (2 Superchargers, neither with CCS - old style Tesla Model S only!)

Some points that Tesla chargers may or may not have depending on location

• Multiple fast (100kW minimum nowadays) chargers (8+ - preferably 40! Tesla ramps up first V3 supercharger installations for Europe | The Driven ) in multiple locations (charge, skip 2, charge, skip 3)
  • I could live with 50kW chargers - but lots of them. I think they are cheap and presumably don't incur high peak load costs (especially if battery buffered). From memory, even Teslas fall below 50kW when fairly full (looking at charge curves, maybe not now until 70-80% full). I don't mind a 20 minute break on long journeys as long as I can get a coffee, use the toilet and walk around if the alternative is stress. I don't really need 250-350kW chargers - but they are lovely.
  • 24 hour clean toilets
  • coffee
  • ideally fast food
  • ideally better food choice
  • sun shade (preferably solar)
  • somewhere inside worth a walk/wander
  • kids play area (inside + outside)
  • ruthless de-ICEing ie removal of fossil (petrol/diesel) cars or at least a severe education - bollards are removed after a 20 question de-bunking exam is passed
  • fix chargers fast - every location must have 6 working ones or the CEO has to publicly apologise on TV with a deep low bow or public stocks and free rotten fruit at the location in question
  • most importantly stop the nonsense of various fees, apps, cards etc - charge a kWh fee with a maximum time (20,30, 60, 90 or 120 minutes) and an overstay fee. Display them clearly.
  • loads of destination chargers (2-11kW AC) sprinkled in every car park
  • I've just been looking at zap map, plugshare and abetterrouteplanner. I used to like the last but find it a pain on my phone now. I preferred the previous user interface. Ideally all would emphasise the NICE charging locations based on number of chargers, reliability, basic facilities (working toilet is worth 300 points, first coffee shop is worth 30 points, subsequent ones worth 5, one food place gets 10 points, next 1-5 points etc. Change to a consistent legend with numbers instead of colours 7/50 rather than blue / purple (or other way around?). Ability to filter on having minimum facilities (toilet open for next hour may be enough, other times - coffee/food within 5 minutes walking)
  • it doesn't need data science! It just needs an ability to look at where satisfaction and adoption is higher.
  • Do YOU drive an EV? If not, get your employer to rent them for you and and your colleagues - a variety, Teslas, Renaults, Leafs, MGs, vans, plug-in hybrids (and you must avoid using petrol). Swap them around. Going from a Zoe 22kW to a Tesla should be an education in and of itself.
  • Do a few things better than Tesla - add multi-drop mapping and emphasise the nicest charging locations.
  • Get supermarkets to consistently have a bunch of multi-connector AC/DC 7kW to 50kW DC chargers in a minimum of 8 per location with consistent rules. If i'm in a new location and I know that I have up to 30 minutes in any Tesco, I'll go there. If I need 60 minutes (unlikely for DC - but lets me do massive shop or eat lunch) and Asdas allow it - I'll do it. Just make everything easy. My life doesn't revolve around the car, your client or any shop.
  • Look at EV/Tesla forums and look for wishlists. Otherwise just copy Tesla.
  • Phone app tells you state/rate of charge, estimated 50-80% time and cost so I can round up the relatives, toilet visits just before departing
  • I want to treat the charging as mundane, obvious, no effort, no quirks.
  • Electric Vehicles are not hard. Much easier than Internal Combustion Engines and their complex logistics
Good luck, enjoy your travels in Teslas, Leafs, Kias and Renaults.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 Long Range and Zoe 22kWh
6 Posts
If it's just the algorithms - algos for what? Which charger to suggest? I'd look at charge curves, predicting when is a good time to leave based on route, other chargers (according to usefulness), traffic patterns (skip a charger to avoid rush hour, stay longer to let rush hour end).

Oh and tell me how my 12 volt battery is doing as they're rubbish for many electric vehicles that fail to keep them topped up (bad EV design, wrong choice of battery).

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
1,527 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,926 Posts
Built -in software and/or app that allows the car to be recognised by any commercial charging point in Europe as soon as it is plugged in (whithout cards, phone signal or any other external input) then records the cost of the charge and adds it to a single monthly invoice to the customer.

Science fiction, I know.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts