Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At its sixth service today, the dealer said that the car needs a new suspension arm and new front disks and pads, otherwise it will fail its MOT due early next month. They want £270 and £370 respectively for the work. I assume the local garage would be cheaper, so I'd rather go to them. Is that a problem? Or do I need to go to a HEVRA garage for this work?

I'm just waiting to see if the extended warranty would cover the suspension arm - it won't cover the brakes.

·
Registered
Zoe R110
481 Posts
Any spanner monkey can do them.
As Renault don't replace the ball joint having to replace the arm is a bit more a faff but the extended warranty paid out for getting it done without much fuss at all :)

FYI Price I was charged by Renault last year for the arm was £88.28 inc vat but you can get get the arm from carparts4less (the lesser know part of eurocarparts) for 38.62 delivered. Labour should be 1-1.5 hours depending on whether the garage has ever replaced an arm on a Renault. It took me 2 hours and there was far too much looking on youtube but I was in no big rush, stopid Renault design. Tracking is then on top of that which I would recommend.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that. I'll wait to see if the warranty pays out in this case 🤞

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
743 Posts
At its sixth service today, the dealer said that the car needs a new suspension arm and new front disks and pads, otherwise it will fail its MOT due early next month. They want £270 and £370 respectively for the work. I assume the local garage would be cheaper, so I'd rather go to them. Is that a problem? Or do I need to go to a HEVRA garage for this work?

I'm just waiting to see if the extended warranty would cover the suspension arm - it won't cover the brakes.
My Zoe had both of its front suspension arms replaced by an independent garage last year before I purchased it.

The invoice in the service history for both was £240, there are 3 bushes on each lower wishbone so it refreshes the whole of the lower bushes when they are replaced.

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
743 Posts
Always buy the extended warranty 🙂
Hmm depends if you like to dabble, I purchased a Dewalt impact wrench a set of axle stands and the workshop manual for my Zoe, I got the car £1500 below the average for its age and model (because it had a few issues) and fitted £350 in parts to it and it’s totally sorted.

I appreciate that that’s not everyone’s cup of tea but it’s actually a lot of fun and YouTube has a video that shows you how to sort every well known problem on every car ever made.

There are some super bargains to be had if you fancy a project and you get the satisfaction of not giving your money to the stealers while expanding your horizons and the sense of achievement of sorting it yourself, that’s a win win in my book! 😃

·
Registered
Zoe R110
481 Posts
If you have the right things in place you can dabble and have the extended warranty as backup.
I have done some work myself, have had Renault do work under the extended warranty and also had the extended warranty pay me for doing a repair. 😎

·
Registered
81 Posts
The Renault extended warranty will cover suspension parts if they have failed incommensurate with the car's mileage. Our suspension arms were replaced under the extended warranty at 21,000 miles. The warranty provider agreed that this was not reasonable and so covered the cost. If your mileage is much higher then you may be on your own. Pads and discs though - very much doubt that the warranty will cover those, but any garage (even Kwik Fit at a push) should be able to do that for you.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ours has done 55,000 miles in 6 years, so I was quite surprised that the extended warranty agreed to cover it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts