Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just an update on the car suspension and my thoughts after 7500 miles.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Thanks Mike, brilliant stuff once again !.
While we are on the subject of suspension / ride height etc.
When the ZS EV was first launched, a lot of people ( including myself ) though the car looked a little “Under Wheeled”.
Smallish sized wheel and tyre combo that looked a little odd due to the large space left in the wheel arches.
Made the wheels look “ A little Lost”.
Well, today I was out cleaning my car ( again ) and stopped for a cup of tea.
As I sat their, I am convinced that the car has “Settled” down some what now after almost 7 months of ownership.
No, I am not just imagining it folks, it is defiantly a little more “Squat” than it was back in Jan of this year.
This may sound a bit crazy to some people, but I have witnessed this before on my previous VW Golf GTE.
When new a lot of folks said the rear of the car sat to high and looked like it needing lowering at the rear.
Well, I had that car from three months, to over four years old, and without any fear of contradiction, it did become lower all on its own.
This is fact, because I made a point of measuring from the centre of the road wheel, to the inside of the wheel arch.
In less than two years, it dropped by give or take, one inch in ride height.
I guess this is not surprising considering the weight if the HV pack and all the other components constantly bearing down on the suspension parts day in day out !.
It’s not me becoming more use to the side profile of the car now, it has defiantly lowered slightly from when it was new.
Strange, but I have walked pass it a thousand times, but today, it hit me like a sledge hammer !.
Once you spotted it, somehow your eyes are drawn towards it all the time now.
Maybe it lowered itself over night. LOL.
Weird hey !.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Thar happened with my Rover 75 but replacing the broken springs corrected it
Rover 75 & 100 ........ Wow, now there is blast from the past.
Worked on a few of them when I served my time.
Built like an absolute tank !.
No wonder the springs failed. :ROFLMAO:

·
Journeyman Human
449 Posts
Well, I hadn't noticed any settling. I'm now on 18" wheels, so the car looks better anyway, but I've just had a good stare at it following your comments, and I think you might be right, it doesn't look quite so "jacked up" as it did when new. I hope it continues to settle, about another 30mm or so will have it looking just right lol!! :ROFLMAO:

·
Journeyman Human
449 Posts
Further to this discussion.... I've noticed on more than one previous car, they developed a slight "lean" to the drivers side over time. I'm almost always in my cars alone so the weight bias to one side must cause it over time! (and, no, I'm not very fat lol!!)

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Well, I hadn't noticed any settling. I'm now on 18" wheels, so the car looks better anyway, but I've just had a good stare at it following your comments, and I think you might be right, it doesn't look quite so "jacked up" as it did when new. I hope it continues to settle, about another 30mm or so will have it looking just right lol!! :ROFLMAO:
I think 30mm more settle could be a little to much to hope for !.
Any chance of a few pictures of the car with the 18 inch wheels fitted please ?.
Thanks !.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Mike
Thanks for your time and effort in producing these videos and analysis of ride improvements.
I think ride and handling can be very subjective and a lot of the comfort when driving comes down to driving style.
When I first started driving the MG (5000miles ago) I also was not so impressed with the ride quality and all the things you mentioned I also found and did not like.
I got a few complaints from my wife about driving too fast, which I didnt think I was doing particularly but when I started to look at the speeds i was cornering at, even though the speed didnt look too high visually I began to realise that the registered speeds were higher than I thought. It then dawned on me that I had been used to driving a much lower car (Lexus ct200H) that gave a much higher sense of speed. Anyhow I have since changed my driving style to a much more sedate style and to be honest the car feels much better to drive and is quieter and smoother.

I now actually like the 'softer' suspension and find myself enjoying the peace and quiet of a calmed down driving style. Its also very impressive when you do need that extra foot down how quickly the car responds.

I would have considered changing suspension struts before but at a cost of over £700 I would probably not bother.
As I say it is all a subjective exercise and shame that its not possible to try the dampers out before buying , but I suppose thats not an option

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Carty

I have it on good authority that car suspension does settle down on a new car a little!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts