Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Recently, I got a ride in a family member's SUV Lexus NX300h [top spec model]. Think it must be the most comfortable car as well as the best interior I've ever experienced but jeez is it expensive to buy and run!

I could probably just about afford one but prefer a car I can fill with bikes, racks, and crap and not care if I scrape it off a tree :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Oli

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Tesla Model 3 Cd = 0.23
Tesla Model Y Cd = 0.23
Ioniq Cd = 0.24
ID.3 Cd = 0.26
Mustang Mach E = 0.285 or 0.3, take your google pick.
Corsa E Cd = 0.29
Jag i Pace Cd = 0.29
I rest my case re efficiency at speed. In my motorway genuine-70 mph tests, ID.3 58 kWh used 10% more electricity that Ioniq 38. The cut-off-back hatches just don't match up to aeroplace-smooth shapes.

·
Registered
134 Posts
But does the efficiency at motorway speeds matter much for those that rarely ever drive that fast? The national limit here even on dual carriageways is 100kmh and it is only on the few motorways we have that up to 120kmh is allowed. Most rural roads are set at 80kmh and to be honest with you you would be hard pushed to drive that fast along many of them anyway. This means that most of our driving is done at an average speed that is probably no higher than 50kmh if that.

When I looked at the drag and fuel consumption things years ago it seemed to me that for anyone driving at the sort of speeds the roads around here allow would never see any practical difference between a car with a really low drag and a car with a really high drag as all the other differences between different cars were more important things like weight and the way the car was driven. I can understand that those that drive as I used to do when working driving long distances every day at freeway speeds would see a bigger difference from a lower drag car so really it comes down to horses for courses. Worry about drag if you spend a lot of time driving at freeway speeds and don't get hung up on it if you drive around like we do.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
The cut-off-back hatches just don't match up to aeroplace-smooth shapes.
Until you use them in the real world manoeuvring round town and parking, and having some headroom without sitting on the floor peering over the dash. You are in the Top Gear zone of car buying advice.

These days cd value is about the % that most people care about it. Mpg or kWh/mile are what matters.

·
Registered
iD.3 Family, Moonstone Grey. (On order)
109 Posts
But I don't think the legs-forward thing is any different than a conventional saloon, I'm afraid.
Taht's why it's the wife's car. I still drive my 2019 Q7 and until I can get a 7 seat EV that isn't a model X then unfortunately there will be no change for me. The ID3 is certainly more comfortable for me than the Tesla Model 3 as it is a little more raised in the seating position.

·
Registered
442 Posts
So buy a sensibly sized & shaped EV hatchback that's aerodynamic. I can only think of two; Ioniq, and Tesla Y.
ID.3 isn't aerodynamic in comparison, excellent though it is in many respects. Corsas etc just don't cut it for me. YMMV.
CD values

Model 3/Y 0.23
IONIQ. 0.24
ID.3 0.26
ID.4. 0.28
MACH E. 0.285
KONA/IPACE. 0.29

ID.3 is pretty aerodynamic when compared to most!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Ok, if the Kona (known for incredibly good efficiency) and the iPace (known for incredibly bad efficiency) ahve the same CD, why on earth is there such a disparity between how far the two can go on the same energy?
Assuming that’s not a rhetorical question, about half a tonne has something to do with it. And I’m sure battery and driveline efficiency too.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Four wheel drive may have something to do with it as well as the heavy weight as every four wheel drive car I have had has used more fuel than the two wheel drive cars. The I-Pace is definitely a heavy car and it must take a fair bit of energy just to get it moving and although regen may get some of that back that is not close to being a 100% efficient process.

Mind you I am pleasantly surprised by the I-Pace not being as bad as I had heard it was when it comes to range. It may be that a lot of our driving is not done at great speeds but it does seem to be giving over 400km of range on a charge which is more than I thought it would do. We only really need around 300km of range so it is comforting to have that bit of spare just in case.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Four wheel drive may have something to do with it as well as the heavy weight as every four wheel drive car I have had has used more fuel than the two wheel drive cars. The I-Pace is definitely a heavy car and it must take a fair bit of energy just to get it moving and although regen may get some of that back that is not close to being a 100% efficient process.

Mind you I am pleasantly surprised by the I-Pace not being as bad as I had heard it was when it comes to range. It may be that a lot of our driving is not done at great speeds but it does seem to be giving over 400km of range on a charge which is more than I thought it would do. We only really need around 300km of range so it is comforting to have that bit of spare just in case.
I’m sure you’re right about the 4wd, although the Tesla 3LR is a similar weight to the Kona despite being 4wd.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts