Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Audi etron gt rs
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I’m looking for some advice / expertise.

We’re currently in the process of having a 7kW charger installed by PodPoint and their installers.

Our electricians have previously laid a 6mm SWA cable between the meter and the general location of the wall charger (an external wall 6m from the meters) when they installed several SWA and earth cables for a heat pump, leaving both ends unconnected, in anticipation of this install.

The currently unused SWA cable is up to 800m-900m deep and enters through the floor near the meters.

Initially PodPoint said they would be able to use the existing cable, to save the groundworks and costs with laying a new one and through into the house.

They have now said the armoured cable needs to be dug up, put in 50mm ducting and put back down again. I’ve asked why and which regulation requires that but have not yet received a response. They are happy for us to have the work done.

Our electrician says this should not be needed (“crazy” was his term) and putting SWA cable in ducting actually lowers the maximum current it can carry vs if it’s buried in the ground/sand, however he has no first hand experience of installing an ev charger.

Has anybody else ran into this? Which of them is correct?

Thanks
Jack

·
Registered
2020 Vauxhall Corsa-e SE-Nav Voltaic Blue
16 Posts
They said the same thing to me when I buried the cable myself for the install and it struck me as pointless, they did also supply a STP (Shielded Twisted Pair) cable for the current clamp so it might be that they want the duct to protect this. They also required that I provide a draw rope in the ducting for future expansion, all told they were quite specific and demanding for what I'd thought was going to be a simple job. In the end the installer didn't pay much attention to the groundworks as far as I could tell, the cable was installed and of the correct spec so there was nothing to complain about and no way to verify if it was at a the correct depth or if a rope was provided etc. You could risk that the installer is a bit more sensible than the pencil pushers but if they're planning to use a current clamp to protect your main fuse then they'll need to wire that up somehow.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
As above, complete cobblers, not only is SWA approved for direct burial, but so are far less well protected cable types, not least of which is the run of non-armoured concentric cable used as the main supply cable into most homes.

The data cable requirement for some load-balancing charge points (like the Zappi) can often be mitigated by using a wireless link.

·
Registered
Audi etron gt rs
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As above, complete cobblers, not only is SWA approved for direct burial, but so are far less well protected cable types, not least of which is the run of non-armoured concentric cable used as the main supply cable into most homes.

The data cable requirement for some load-balancing charge points (like the Zappi) can often be mitigated by using a wireless link.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't believe the PodPoint supports wireless current sensing. PodPoint are very controlling over the installation process and I've found the app and scheduling to be quite buggy so I would't personally recommend one unless its bundled with the car as mine was. Have you looked at the alternative charge points?

·
Registered
Audi etron gt rs
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have now, thanks everyone. They also said a 100 amp 3 phase supply currently with a maximum load of 32 amps on 2 of the 3 phases might need upgrading to allow this extra 32A which seemed odd (I’m now looking at 11kW or 22kW instead, which would still need new cables laid…)

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Have you looked at the alternative charge points?
I'm not in the market for any more charge points, thanks. We have two, one either end of the drive, and I can't see the need to change either of them any time soon. If I did it wouldn't be a Podpoint, or a Zappi, come to that, anyway.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Has anybody used one of these

It would seem a good short term solution.
That would still require a PEN fault protection device to be installed, the requirement for this applies to any circuits intended to supply electric vehicles for charging purposes. Source (page 9). Increasingly charge points have this protection built in inluding PodPoint and Zappi.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
It probably also needs DC tolerant earth leakage fault protection, too. Few, if any, portable EVSEs seems to have this integrated and Type B RCDs are still a bit pricey (cheapest is around £114, compared with around £20 or so for a Type A).

·
Registered
Audi etron gt rs
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right, An Anderson A2 is now to be installed by a very helpful Artisan Electrics in Cambridge. What a useful forum this has proved to be, and thank you to all who took the time to respond.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Right, An Anderson A2 is now to be installed by a very helpful Artisan Electrics in Cambridge. What a useful forum this has proved to be, and thank you to all who took the time to respond.
Fantastic, hopefully see you on Jordan's YouTube channel soon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts