Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I’m having a 7kw charger installed at my house but unfortunately the charger will be around 40 meters from my main consumer unit.
I am looking at running 40m of 10mm SWA from my consumer unit to where the charger is going to be installed. The cable is going to be clipped to a brick wall.
Would I be correct in assuming that 2 core is correct or would I need 3 core?
thanks

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
The 10mm2 is certainly a good idea to minimise the voltage drop and ensure compliance with BS7671 wrt to that particular issue.

The adequacy of the steel armour depends entirely on the fault currents which depends on the supply impedance and the cable protection.

If your are not in a position to correctly select the cable protection, possibly best to use 3 core. I suspect that if the cable is being run from the consumer unit then it won't have the optimum protection.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
PS, I should have added to my reply that the correct cable selection also depends on the how the earth for the chargepoint will be provided.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply.

forgot to say the cable will be connected to a separate mini consumer unit adjacent to the main one.

Also the charge point has not yet been decided on as I wanted to get this cable in place so unsure on the earth for that.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Bear in mind that depending on which charge point you choose, it may need an extra cable back to a current clamp on your incoming supply.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts