Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

swapped out the e-up ver1 for the ver2 "upgrade"

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Trapdoor 
#1 ·
Hello;

we decided to trade in our e-up that has been a good "city" car for us these past 2,5 years. I have a Tesla model 3 on order, but the local dealer had a "proposition" to swap that I could not pass up. I think most of us know that the "volume" of EVs going out the door is not so unlike a carpet store. Sales are slow amigos.

So for me the clincher was the move to having a car with current warranty and being able to pass it along to another person in a year or 2 (when we pick up the Tesla3) with some warranty left. I took an extra two years for a total of 4 years on the car + the included 8 years on the battery; is not a bad bet on the future residual value. Not that I mean I will recuperate my investment, but that I can give it to somebody with the feeling that they are not in a totally risk based situation.

I have reported before that at least here in the south of France, none of the mechanics will touch the EV even to change brake pads. So for now, the warranty and service of the EV ownership cycle should IMO be intricately liked to the manufacturer. Such as is the case for a Tesla car. Maybe that will change in 5 years, but right now having a EV means for me you need an agreement to get service from the manufacturer or you are at best in a "high expense" risk for repair or upkeep.

No improvements on the e-up for range or battery capacities. Bummer, but to be honest we never drive more than 35km in one direction. But we are living in the City and when we do venture far it is on train or a plane. Nevertheless I think VW should have updated the battery packs with some of their newer technology. However, it might have taken a big bite out of the appeal for the Golf. The ver2 e-UP has a lot of smaller improvements that if you "know" the car add up to being "not so bad".

- rear camera + proximity sensor (no camera previously)
- steering wheel controls for the dash computer and media center
- seats have a better residence to water stains and "dirt"
- no more Garmin on a stick. Mine was bobbing around a lot
- far better bluetooth connections to phones and all around media features (sound system etc)
- controls on driver door for the window on passenger side
- more EV distinction "decorations" like blue highlighter LED lighting in the cabin and exterior paint striping
- better handing tires

Perhaps I have missed a few things, and do not mention that the styling of the front and rare of the car is modified. But I have had it only 2 days. More or less a good bump and the car is more and more "advantageous" in my view than some of the similar "class" EVs in the market for City dwellers like me.

One frustrating thing I have not been able to solve on the ver1 and seems the firmware is the same on the ver2 is the air controls. When I set the fan on 3 bars, lo temp, and vents on floor and facing the front driver and passenger, I get reverted to "auto" and 22c when the car is restarted. No matter what I do the car seems to "remember" and want to go back to 22c and AUTO mode. I want the car to stick to a certain fan speed and vent combination without A/C and without heat. But the e-UP really wants to do things in AUTO mode.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for sharing "Azure" sounds like it was a really good move for you to make.

I'm wondering, now you have had 6 months to really get used to it have you found anything else (good or bad) that you didn't expect?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.