Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks

I'm a confirmed petrolhead and motoring writer based in mid-Wales. I drove a Leaf for a week last year and it has turned my world upside down! I enjoyed it that much. I also found it was far more viable for living in rural Wales than I expected. I was seriously impressed.

While I will always love vehicles with actual engines, especially when it comes to my regular long-distance trips, I am pondering the best way to get some electric kicks. Converting my 2CV is one option - I certainly wouldn't be the first. Buying a brand new/nearly new EV car isn't feasible right now, but hybrids are also an option. I'm not that keen though. Seems a compromise in both petrol and electric terms. A lot of my driving is low-mileage - other than the long trips - so EV does work for me.

So I'll be trawling through the forums with great interest. Have a nose at my Blog if you're interested though note that electric car discussions make up only a small part of it. Sorry!

Ian

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aye. EV can't entirely replace petrol just yet, but I've long been a fan of owning more than one car at a time anyway...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Range is still the issue here. While I had the Leaf, I had to drive to Birmingham and back. Just not possible with an EV due to a very severe lack of charging points in Wales and the borders. Petrol won that time. Most journeys are sub-50 mile though. Which is fine. I deliberately tested one in November too, so heating had to be used.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Could argue that's more the fault of living in the sticks than EVs in general. Brum's easy from my neck of the woods. ;) :p

It's holidays to green, wet or far flung lands that will prove more challenging.

·
Super Moderator
6,389 Posts
Hi Dollywobler and welcome…….

Have you thought about a Volt/Ampera, realistic electric range 25miles in winter 40+ in summer and a petrol generator that will take you another 300 miles when needed. There seem to be some very interesting deals to be had at the moment.

Andy

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have thought about it, but they're WAY out of my price range right now. I have a real problem with paying more than £500 for a car, which is why my electric dreams are going to be quite a challenge! Achieving my dream will be some way off, but I'm absorbing as much info as I can at the moment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts