Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have a few questions about potentially switching energy suppliers:

1) I'm currently with Scottish Power, and they just installed a smart metre about a month ago. Is there any penalty with switching suppliers so soon after a smart meter install?

2) Every day I see recommendation after recommendation for Octopus Energy, usually tied to their "Agile" tariff. If I understand it correctly, that tariff adjusts the rate for each hour (or half hour?) based on current grid usage, correct? So a lot of EV drivers here just charge overnight when prices are low? The reason I ask is because I am American, and I tend to use a lot of electricity... We run aircon on hot days, I have tw0 3d printers running 24/7 at times, and my laptop draws a decent amount of energy by itself. For reference, over the past year we used 6,547 kWh of electricity and 21,647 kWh of gas. With that sort of consumption, could the agile tariff actually hurt us more than it would help (since we use a lot more energy during the day than at night)?

If it helps, we have solar panels (about 3.3 kW peak) and I currently tend to just charge my Zoe off a granny charger on sunny days to maximize the "free" energy from the sun.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hey everyone, I have a few questions about potentially switching energy suppliers:

1) I'm currently with Scottish Power, and they just installed a smart metre about a month ago. Is there any penalty with switching suppliers so soon after a smart meter install?

2) Every day I see recommendation after recommendation for Octopus Energy, usually tied to their "Agile" tariff. If I understand it correctly, that tariff adjusts the rate for each hour (or half hour?) based on current grid usage, correct? So a lot of EV drivers here just charge overnight when prices are low? The reason I ask is because I am American, and I tend to use a lot of electricity... We run aircon on hot days, I have tw0 3d printers running 24/7 at times, and my laptop draws a decent amount of energy by itself. For reference, over the past year we used 6,547 kWh of electricity and 21,647 kWh of gas. With that sort of consumption, could the agile tariff actually hurt us more than it would help (since we use a lot more energy during the day than at night)?

If it helps, we have solar panels (about 3.3 kW peak) and I currently tend to just charge my Zoe off a granny charger on sunny days to maximize the "free" energy from the sun.
6.5mw? You are an amateur, As a Brit family with an EV we consume 12mw of leccy p/a roughly, April 19 to March 20, before lockdown, no aircon, no 3d printers and we also have GCH and 4kw of solar panels. In 2018 we consumed 20mw, with no solar, but then i was cryptocurrency mining 24/7.

By 6.5mw do you mean consumed that, or imported that net of you solar? Net of solar we imported 9.8mw. We use Octopus Go , 5p kwh 12.30am-4.30am, 13.5p kwh the rest of the time.

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
467 Posts

You are right to question whether agile is right for you. One downside of agile is the high prices paid 4-7pm. A feature of my ohme charger is to block charging when the price is high (I can choose the trigger point.) That kind of decision is fine for home use, since increasingly I am also moving kitchen appliances to cheap agile times using the delay start functions. Typically the overnight agile rates are around 5p at the moment and sometimes rising to over 30p in that 4-7pm window. The rest of the day varies around the 10-20p mark.

The other downside of agile is the complexity. The octopus go tariff might be easier on the brain to start with. Try that for a few months, see where your bills are at, then try agile for a month or two. Then you can compare one octopus tariff with another for your appliances & usage patterns.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
6.5mw? You are an amateur, As a Brit family with an EV we consume 12mw of leccy p/a roughly, April 19 to March 20, before lockdown, no aircon, no 3d printers and we also have GCH and 4kw of solar panels. In 2018 we consumed 20mw, with no solar, but then i was cryptocurrency mining 24/7.

By 6.5mw do you mean consumed that, or imported that net of you solar? Net of solar we imported 9.8mw. We use Octopus Go , 5p kwh 12.30am-4.30am, 13.5p kwh the rest of the time.
Yes, our 6.5 mW was net of solar - our panels (unlike most from what I understand) power the house first, and excess gets sold to the grid. So our consumption amounts are always after solar. How do I get on Octopus Go? I don't see that option when I get a quote from them... And how can they charge so much less than everyone else?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yes, our 6.5 mW was net of solar - our panels (unlike most from what I understand) power the house first, and excess gets sold to the grid. So our consumption amounts are always after solar. How do I get on Octopus Go? I don't see that option when I get a quote from them... And how can they charge so much less than everyone else?
Use this link. You get £100 bonus if you sign up wthin 8 days, £50 if after that. I get £50 too.

share.octopus.energy/metal-hero-115

Octopus Go only quotes your non 5p rate depending on you area. But there is a tab for it in the link bottom right, i had a look.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
You can switch regardless of when your meter was fitted.
As above, Agile is only to be recommended if you can, and do, move your consumption on a responsive basis to the changes in prices. The price varies every 30 minutes with you only knowing the next 31 hours prices at 16:00 each day. If you cannot or just plain do not then you will probably pay more than their Tracker tariff. Charging an EV is a simple way to have a movable load, for example both my wife and I commute daily and can choose to charge at whatever time is cheapest between 18:00 and 07:00 the next day. There is a penalty period between 16:00 and 19:00 as well, but we are out for most of that, and the balance of our usage is mainly at the cheaper times.
Octopus Go is a better tariff if you cannot be bothered to chase changing times and want certainty of price and a big off-peak discount that is limited to 4 hours. The daytime rate is industry average and generally beaten by Agile outside of the penalty period.
Tracker follows wholesale prices and hence changes typically daily, but sometimes more or less often.
The three Octopus tariffs above are all Beta products so are hard to find. Generally you switch to their standard tariff then one of these as it's hard to produce a meaningful quote.
Your Solar export is an issue. What scheme is it on?

·
Registered
379 Posts

Do you know if it is a SMETS2 meter? I think all meters being installed now are supposed to be SMETS2, but you should probably check. A SMETS1 meter may turn dumb when you switch supplier.

·
That money was just resting in my account!
141 Posts
Do you know if it is a SMETS2 meter? I think all meters being installed now are supposed to be SMETS2, but you should probably check. A SMETS1 meter may turn dumb when you switch supplier.
I have a SMETS1 meter that was installed by my previous supplier and was successfully re-activated when I switched to Octopus Go. It needs to be 'secure' branded for this to work AFAIUI.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
As above, Agile is only to be recommended if you can, and do, move your consumption on a responsive basis to the changes in prices.
Agile is very good if you avoid the 16:00 -19:00 time frame. Can you set up your 3D printer to work outside of these hours. The air con / heat pump ( do you use it for heat during the winter) I am sure can be programmed to switch off for those 3 hours and your home should remain at a reasonable temperature during this time. You can see the price here

Agile add 12p to the adjusted grid price from 16:-19:00, so avoid and prosper.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Use this link. You get £100 bonus if you sign up wthin 8 days, £50 if after that. I get £50 too.

share.octopus.energy/metal-hero-115

Octopus Go only quotes your non 5p rate depending on you area. But there is a tab for it in the link bottom right, i had a look.
Thanks, I looked into Octopus Go and I think it is the right one for me. I can't cancel my current supplier until the last 49 days of my tariff, but that should end tomorrow. I'll probably call about it tomorrow.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Agile is very good if you avoid the 16:00 -19:00 time frame. Can you set up your 3D printer to work outside of these hours. The air con / heat pump ( do you use it for heat during the winter) I am sure can be programmed to switch off for those 3 hours and your home should remain at a reasonable temperature during this time. You can see the price here

Agile add 12p to the adjusted grid price from 16:-19:00, so avoid and prosper.
Sadly no, when I am printing my printers are going 24/7, no easy way to avoid those times. I think Octopus Go is the right tariff for me.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Sadly no, when I am printing my printers are going 24/7, no easy way to avoid those times. I think Octopus Go is the right tariff for me.
I also run 3d printers 24/7 on agile. Agile still is better. 4 hours of higher prices for 20 lower than Go (on average). If anything the 3d printers/other base loads tilt the balance EVEN more towards agile. But it also does depend on your EV.. if you ever need to charge an EV for around 6 hours instead of the 4 Go offers (ie put in more than 28Kw in single night) -> Agile WILL be cheaper. I had to put 45Kw in Friday for a journey sat...

If anything, switch, get your real numbers and see what happens.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
109 Posts
The “most of the time” price on GO varies depending where you are in the country. Right now if I switch to GO (waiting on a meter) I’ll save money regardless of using the discounted hours overnight because the basic rate is lower for my area than the current Octopus tariff I’m on. It does look like Agile would be cheaper overall, even hitting the peak time with the oven occasionally.

As has probably been said but maybe could have been clearer, Agile is based on the wholesale price which is calculated by some system of divining weather and betting. Grid utilisation comes into that calculation but is only part of it. I think pigeon guts are involved. For most of the time the price seems to be lower than the GO average and can dip significantly below that at any time of day other than the 4-7pm peak. Prices can plunge negative, usually associated with expected high wind output. Doesn’t happen very often.

I suspect we can expect to see greater volatility in the wholesale price in future, and that will translate to the average prices most people pay being higher.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I suspect we can expect to see greater volatility in the wholesale price in future, and that will translate to the average prices most people pay being higher.
Agreed, and being Octopus they have an hedge available for that too. Ripple, -> the own your own slice of windfarm thing. I signed up:

Theory is If wholesale price are high, my windfarm makes money saving me paying more.
If they are lower in future, maybe I don't get back my investment... But it's a hedge on the former ultimately for a downpayment now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts