Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. :)

I'd like to switch from my current car (VW Up GTI) to a BEV (I had a Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid for a while a couple of years ago and I found the ICE in it to be gutless and noisy so I've decided BEV is the way to go this time).

I'm currently considering three BEVs:
Vauxhall Corsa-e
Renault Zoe
VW ID.3

Similar PCP deals on all of them (with the Corsa-e being the cheapest and the Zoe being the most expensive) and similar WLTP range.

I'm wary of Vauxhall and Renault based on the reliability records of the brands as a whole (their latest EVs haven't been around long enough to assess the individual cars) but they both come with a home charger included in the price.

Any advice and/or firsthand experience would be very much appreciated.

Thank you. (y)

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,963 Posts
The VW ID.3 is significantly bigger internally than the other two as it is designed as an EV from scratch rather than being a converted ICE. However, there are a number of software issues with the ID.3 that VW are still working on correcting. I'm impressed that you have found an ID.3 cheaper than a Zoe - could you share?

Renault have been building editions of the Zoe for 7 years now so have a longer track record than the other two in EVs, and they are generally reliable.

Most Dealers are useless with EVs so if you find a good one stick with them - I'd say that they are more important than than the Manufacturer.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's very helpful. Thank you.

I've seen various ID.3 glitches during review videos that do worry me a bit, from the infotainment completely locking up to the ID.Light not working when it's supposed to. I've owned a lot of different VWs over the years - it's the manufacturer that I'm leaning towards - but it does seem as if early(ish) buyers are being used as guinea pigs for a car that's not quite finished yet.

The ID.3 quote is direct from VW. I submitted an enquiry to an Autotrader ad and they came back with a quote that's £60 a month cheaper than the Zoe (the Renault and Vauxhall quotes are also direct from the manufacturers). I can normally find cheaper through carwow but not for these three. I know monthlies aren't the be-all and end-all of car costs but it's still a surprising difference. (The models are ID.3 150KW LIFE PRO PFMNCE 62KWH and Zoe 100KW i Iconic R135 50KWh Rapid Charge.)

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Ioniq 38 kWh BEV is a totally different car to their petrolly offerings! Worth a look, as the v high efficiency means it compares well to ID.3 at 58 kWh. I'm expecting it to be a lot better than the ID.3 45 kWh when that appears - aerodynamically it's no contest! Which is why it's easily comparable to another 45 kHw EV around.

Big drawback for some is slow charging, depends 100% on use pattern. I love the controls in mine, and really hate the lack of so many in the ID.3. My range comaprisons here:
ID.3 58 kWh+HeatPump .vs. Ioniq 38.4 kWh...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's really good stuff. Thanks. (y)

Apart from the ICE, I liked the Hyundai a lot (so much so that I traded it in for an i30N). Do you mean slow charging at public chargers? I'd have a home charger and I don't use the car that often so overnight charging is what I was planning to do with top-ups on the rare occasions that I'd need to go beyond the car's range.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just had some PCP quotes for the Ioniq: higher monthlies than the Corsa-e and the ID.3 but still lower than the Zoe. Having looked at the quotes, the differences seem to come from the quite different PX valuations for the Up and the resulting PCP deposit. All the other figures are very similar across the manufacturers.

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Some pretty competitive deals on the Ioniq for personal lease at the moment.

E.g. Term: 24 months
Annual Mileage: 10,000
Initial Payment: £1,771.92 inc. VAT
Admin Fee: £250.00 inc. VAT
Monthly Price (inc. VAT):£196.88

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some pretty competitive deals on the Ioniq for personal lease at the moment.

E.g. Term: 24 months
Annual Mileage: 10,000
Initial Payment: £1,771.92 inc. VAT
Admin Fee: £250.00 inc. VAT
Monthly Price (inc. VAT):£196.88
That is good but I've got outstanding finance on the Up (and I don't want to sell privately) so I need to PX into whatever I get next.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I switched from a "High" Up (74hp, no turbo) to a Zoe GT-Line with CCS back in June. Best decision I ever made.
Has the Zoe been reliable? It's not looking very likely that I'll be getting one based on the quotes I've had so far but I'm still interested in owners' opinions. :)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Ioniq 38 kWh BEV is a totally different car to their petrolly offerings! Worth a look, as the v high efficiency means it compares well to ID.3 at 58 kWh. I'm expecting it to be a lot better than the ID.3 45 kWh when that appears - aerodynamically it's no contest! Which is why it's easily comparable to another 45 kHw EV around.

Big drawback for some is slow charging, depends 100% on use pattern. I love the controls in mine, and really hate the lack of so many in the ID.3. My range comaprisons here:
ID.3 58 kWh+HeatPump .vs. Ioniq 38.4 kWh...
The EV version ofthe Ioniq also feels a bit gutless compared to other EVs, so if that was the reason for not liking your previous one, I doubt you would like the pure EV.

Although the 2020 version is more powerful than the older model, its performance stats are identical (due to the extra weight of the larger battery) it is however, in all other regards bar rear visibility, an excellent car.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
... Do you mean slow charging at public chargers?
Yes. Fastest I've seen is about 46 kW on a Rapid, but have only used a Rapid about 3 times anyway. It charges at up to that rate until 50% SOC, then it drops to 33 kW I think up to 70% SOC, whatever, it's really slowing down at the high SOC values. ID.3 by contrast, if you go for the 100 kW one, charges at that up to about 30%, then starts to drop to think 50 kW at 80%, something like that anyway, so is a very quick charging car in comparison!
ID.3 is deffo quite pokey with 204 Hp, you can floor the throttle at any legal speed and it just flies. Ioniq is more like 133 Hp, but I still find that plenty for me. On my long regular trips 160 miles I'm pushing the range in winter, so am driving gently, so not using anything like max power anyway. And around town, any EV is quick off the mark compared to ICEs!

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Previous VW Up GTI - Straight into a I.D.3 appears to be the correct choice for me to go with in your situation ?.
It will feel a lot different, but some what familiar at the same time, it that makes any sense.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ID.3 is deffo quite pokey with 204 Hp, you can floor the throttle at any legal speed and it just flies. Ioniq is more like 133 Hp, but I still find that plenty for me. On my long regular trips 160 miles I'm pushing the range in winter, so am driving gently, so not using anything like max power anyway. And around town, any EV is quick off the mark compared to ICEs!
The little GTI is quite sluggish off-boost and off the line but, once the turbo's spinning, it's not bad in the midrange.

Previous VW Up GTI - Straight into a I.D.3 appears to be the correct choice for me to go with in your situation ?.
It will feel a lot different, but some what familiar at the same time, it that makes any sense.
It's such a shame I can't test drive any of them to help with the decision. The main thing putting me off the ID.3 is the software instability that I keep reading about. That said, if none of the glitches actually stops the car functioning (and they're being patched), it won't be a dealbreaker.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,179 Posts
Has the Zoe been reliable? It's not looking very likely that I'll be getting one based on the quotes I've had so far but I'm still interested in owners' opinions. :)
Extremely reliable. It's been in for the pre-conditioning fix the earliest cars required.
Disclaimer:- I've only been able to put 3700 miles on it in 6 months due to furlough & COVID travel restrictions. It should've been over 6000 in a normal world.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
To be honest, although I have never driven either of the fore mentioned cars, I have moved from my previous VW GTE and noe into my full EV.
Driving the EV is nothing like almost any ICE car you have tried.
Instant power / torque on demand is brilliant.
It is hard to put into words the feeling an EV gives you over a ICE vehicle, very addictive.
I have heard / seen the reports about the software on the ID3.
From reports from the motoring press and reviews, the car is fantastic.
The software will get sorted I have no doubt what do ever.
VW do build a solid well built car, I have owned many over the years and they have all been great.
What you want is an ID3 build quality, running on the Tesla software.
Pretty unbeatable then !.
If you test drive one, you will buy one I am sure.
Your GTI ( with respect ) will feel so “Old School” when you get back into it.
All that mechanical noise and vibration from the ICE etc.
Been there - done that, time to move on.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To be honest, although I have never driven either of the fore mentioned cars, I have moved from my previous VW GTE and noe into my full EV.
Driving the EV is nothing like almost any ICE car you have tried.
Instant power / torque on demand is brilliant.
It is hard to put into words the feeling an EV gives you over a ICE vehicle, very addictive.
I have heard / seen the reports about the software on the ID3.
From reports from the motoring press and reviews, the car is fantastic.
The software will get sorted I have no doubt what do ever.
VW do build a solid well built car, I have owned many over the years and they have all been great.
What you want is an ID3 build quality, running on the Tesla software.
Pretty unbeatable then !.
If you test drive one, you will buy one I am sure.
Your GTI ( with respect ) will feel so “Old School” when you get back into it.
All that mechanical noise and vibration from the ICE etc.
Been there - done that, time to move on.
Thanks. :)

I've had a few VWs:
Mk4 Golf TDI and R32
Mk7 Golf R (hatchback and then estate)
and now the Up GTI.

As soon as you set off in the Up, you can tell that it's built to a different standard to any generation of Golf. It doesn't feel like it's going to fall to pieces but it's obvious where they've cut costs. I have no problem with that: I knew what I was buying and it makes up for it by being fun to drive and the easiest car to park that I've ever owned.

I'm very much looking forward to getting an EV for the reasons you mentioned. Also, my wife wants to learn to drive and she has no interest in manual gearboxes so now seems like a good time to make the switch.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,852 Posts
The software issues in the ID are mostly slightly annoying. They're are a few cars having problems that means the car is off the road put then VW will put you in another car until it's sorted.
The niggles with mine don't stop me driving it, I've had to restart the infotainment screen once and once it wouldn't start first time, had to switch off and on again, 12v battery warning once but the latest software keeps the battery topped up.
For me everything else is little niggles.

But, if you want range I'd go for the Kona or Niro. The Niro feels similar space inside but has a bigger battery, its more efficient in the cold which is when you notice it the most, and will cover more miles on charge.
It's a boring car, imo, but having owned both Niro and ID3 if I wanted range and space I'd go for the Niro, range but not space then go for the Kona.

Not many people need more than 150 miles without a charge in all weathers at fast speeds but if you need it then the ID3 might disappoint. If not its a great car, especially if you like VW cars.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The software issues in the ID are mostly slightly annoying. They're are a few cars having problems that means the car is off the road put then VW will put you in another car until it's sorted.
The niggles with mine don't stop me driving it, I've had to restart the infotainment screen once and once it wouldn't start first time, had to switch off and on again, 12v battery warning once but the latest software keeps the battery topped up.
For me everything else is little niggles.

But, if you want range I'd go for the Kona or Niro. The Niro feels similar space inside but has a bigger battery, its more efficient in the cold which is when you notice it the most, and will cover more miles on charge.
It's a boring car, imo, but having owned both Niro and ID3 if I wanted range and space I'd go for the Niro, range but not space then go for the Kona.

Not many people need more than 150 miles without a charge in all weathers at fast speeds but if you need it then the ID3 might disappoint. If not its a great car, especially if you like VW cars.
I did look at the Kona and Niro (because of the range) but I don't need or want an SUV and when I checked a couple of weeks ago they were significantly more expensive than the hatchbacks I'm looking at.

I do like VWs (and VAG cars in general). I suspect my concerns about range will disappear once I've owned an EV for a while. Even pre-lockdown, I'd rarely do more than 150 miles in one stint. If I did, I'd usuallly stop to stretch my legs and get a coffee on the way anyway; stopping to recharge wouldn't even be an inconvenience (unless the chargers weren't working).

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I've had a few VWs:
Mk4 Golf TDI and R32
Mk7 Golf R (hatchback and then estate)
and now the Up GTI.
No brainer then - ID3 for the win !.
I had the same concerns about range when I moved to a full EV.
But when you have had the car a few months and had chance to get a "feel" for how it use's the range, it does not become a worry anymore.
Having a wall box at home is a MASSIVE advantage.
It's like having your own fuel station on your drive.
Plug in at the end of the day and it's ready to go in the morning.
No more scrapping the ice off the windows in the winter time, is just one of the great advantages of owning an EV.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts