Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi EV drivers,
I am Nathan; I am currently studying a postgrad degree at Loughborough Uni. For my major project, I am trying to investigate the switching process from ICE to EV. I have interviewed some EV drivers about their switch, but due to COVID-19 & lockdown, I am stuck behind my computer.
If you have a spare 10 mins, I would really appreciate any EV drivers answers some questions for my research. My research aims to design a solution that can help ICE drivers to switch to EV and help the government achieve the ‘Road to Zero’ goal. All responses will be anonymous.
  1. What type EV do you drive? (BEV, PHEV, HEV)
  2. What were your main reasons for switching to an EV?
  3. What do you use your car for? How far do you usually travel?
  4. What were the main barriers for you when switching to an EV? How did you overcome those barriers?
  5. Can you walk me through your method of journey planning? Are there any pain points you've encountered in journey planning?
  6. Do you have any bad experiences with your EV? (No matter how big or small)
  7. For Hybrid Car owners: Why did you not go full electric powered?
If you got any questions or don’t mind answering more questions, please feel free to drop me a message or leave a comment. Thank you for your time.

Participant Information Sheet and Consent Form

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Hi EV drivers,
I am Nathan; I am currently studying a postgrad degree at Loughborough Uni. For my major project, I am trying to investigate the switching process from ICE to EV. I have interviewed some EV drivers about their switch, but due to COVID-19 & lockdown, I am stuck behind my computer.
If you have a spare 10 mins, I would really appreciate any EV drivers answers some questions for my research. My research aims to design a solution that can help ICE drivers to switch to EV and help the government achieve the ‘Road to Zero’ goal. All responses will be anonymous.

If you got any questions or don’t mind answering more questions, please feel free to drop me a message or leave a comment. Thank you for your time.
  1. What type EV do you drive? (BEV, PHEV, HEV) - BEV
  2. What were your main reasons for switching to an EV? - Greener, Cheaper running costs.
  3. What do you use your car for? Commuting, business and private social use.
  4. What were the main barriers for you when switching to an EV? How did you overcome those barriers? Range. planning journeys to incorporate charging times and locations.
  5. Do you plan your journeys before going on long drives? Can you walk me through your method of planning? Yes, I use plugshare.com app with journey planner feature, Always allow for alternative charging stations
  6. For Hybrid Car owners: Why did you not go full electric powered? N/A

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
  1. What type EV do you drive? (BEV, PHEV, HEV) - BEV
  2. What were your main reasons for switching to an EV? - Greener, Cheaper running costs.
  3. What do you use your car for? Commuting, business and private social use.
  4. What were the main barriers for you when switching to an EV? How did you overcome those barriers? Range. planning journeys to incorporate charging times and locations.
  5. Do you plan your journeys before going on long drives? Can you walk me through your method of planning? Yes, I use plugshare.com app with journey planner feature, Always allow for alternative charging stations
  6. For Hybrid Car owners: Why did you not go full electric powered? N/A
Thank you for sharing your experience.

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,401 Posts
  • What type EV do you drive? (BEV, PHEV, HEV) - BEV
  • What were your main reasons for switching to an EV? - Curiosity
  • What do you use your car for? - Normal day to day travel.
  • How far do you usually travel - under 80 miles a day or under 200 if longer trip out.
  • What were the main barriers for you when switching to an EV? - Cost.
  • How did you overcome those barriers? - Saved up a bit and used finance.
  • Do you plan your journeys before going on long drives? - Yes, have to. Tried not planning once or twice and had to go home without completing the journey.

• Can you walk me through your method of planning? - Look at zapmap with available chargers and see whether enough are working. Usually I stick with one charge journeys. Any with two I've learned not to bother and just take the petrol car instead. Same goes for any area with few chargers or a lot of broken ones. Not worth the hassle.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I haven't received my EV yet, but figured I could answer most of your questions based on my reasons for buying.
  1. What type EV do you drive? (BEV, PHEV, HEV) - PHEV (on order)
  2. What were your main reasons for switching to an EV? - short commute into a city centre, so EV is appealling for reducing emissions
  3. What do you use your car for? How far do you usually travel? - 20 mile daily commute (round trip), often 100 miles at the weekend
  4. What were the main barriers for you when switching to an EV? How did you overcome those barriers? - PHEV pure electric range, and estate body style availability
  5. Do you plan your journeys before going on long drives? Can you walk me through your method of planning? - N/A, not had to yet
  6. For Hybrid Car owners: Why did you not go full electric powered? - range anxiety, and the number of broken chargers that I see on my travels. Full electric is definitely the future, but infrastructure needs a lot of love.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
  • Do you plan your journeys before going on long drives? - Yes, have to. Tried not planning once or twice and had to go home without completing the journey.
  • Can you walk me through your method of planning? - Look at zapmap with available chargers and see whether enough are working. Usually I stick with one charge journeys. Any with two I've learned not to bother and just take the petrol car instead. Same goes for any area with few chargers or a lot of broken ones. Not worth the hassle.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
When you talked about not completing the journey.
  • What's the distance of that journey and how far did you make it before turning back home?
  • Do you think journey planning is essential for making long trips? Do you think there are enough tools for it at the moment?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't received my EV yet, but figured I could answer most of your questions based on my reasons for buying.
  1. What type EV do you drive? (BEV, PHEV, HEV) - PHEV (on order)
Thank you for sharing!
  • Did you have to do some journey planning before you decided to buy your PHEV?
  • What methods did you use to help you make that decision?

·
Super Moderator
11,346 Posts
1. BEV with range extender. I've been driving a pure BEV since 2014. Changed from BEV to rex/PHEV 11 months ago.
2. Environment. Low running cost. Overall experience. In 2014 I wanted to prove to myself it could be done.
3. Commuting and typical domestic use like shopping. I typically drive 24 miles a day. Before the lock down we would take the car for > 100 mile journies about once a month
4. In 2014 the main barrier was finding an EV dealer within single charge range. There was no public charger infrastructure in North Wales.
5. Yes. I map out the route and then look at Zap-Map. I keep laminated print outs in the car of chargers along the main routes. Always double check status on the provider's app / twitter /website or whatever they use before setting out.

6. My i3 is legally a PHEV. I only bought it because the lease was cheaper than the BEV version of the same car.

·
Registered
101 Posts
None yet but have a BEV on order.

Wanted a bigger car for imminent baby; I like tech and wanted to try an EV; environmental impact & pollution; comfort & quieter ride.

Commuting 5 days a week (switching between me @ 20 miles and wife @ 80 miles), weekly shop @ 3 miles, visiting family/friends @ up to 300 miles. (All figures are round trips.)

4. What were the main barriers for you when switching to an EV? How did you overcome those barriers?
  • Cost: got a good salary sacrifice deal via work.
  • Didn't want to buy into rapidly evolving tech: lease means I can change the car in 3 years if I want.
  • Potential issues getting a charging point: got a survey done and it is doable, although a few hundred quid more than a standard install.
5. Do you plan your journeys before going on long drives? Can you walk me through your method of planning?
The furthest trip we've done in the past few years is 150 miles, so as long as we can charge at the destination we shouldn't be reliant on public charging. We'll still have a diesel so we can use that for longer trips.

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,401 Posts
  • Thanks for sharing your experience.
    When you talked about not completing the journey.
    • What's the distance of that journey and how far did you make it before turning back home?
    • Do you think journey planning is essential for making long trips? Do you think there are enough tools for it at the moment?
    [*][*]

[*]
I got about 55-60 miles or so. I hadn't checked zapmap and Charnock Richard was faulty. Then Bamber Bridge Polar meant 20 minute wait on the phone to get a charge as that wasn't working properly. Was fed up by then so turned back. I was intending to go to Barrow in Furness which was about 130 miles and back. It was mostly motorway and there were all the Instavolts all over where I needed to go. Wouldn't have done it in the Zoe as it can't rapid charge and can't use Instavolt either. Ironically the range of the zoe was better so I probably could have got to Lancaster to continue but the Leaf was looking dubious to reach it safely and after 2 problem charges I decided I didn't want to risk it.

In a 200 mile motorway car it would have been easy. The Leaf is barely 100 miles winter motorway so it wasn't suitable. I'm still continually disappointed by how bad the range is even with the 40kWh battery. The range estimator is also terrible so you can't trust it either. The Zoe could generally be trusted so that helped planning.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
  1. What type EV do you drive? (BEV, PHEV, HEV) BEV
  2. What were your main reasons for switching to an EV? Nicer smoother ride better acceleration more fun no petrol stations, fully charged every morning (If i want)
  3. What do you use your car for? How far do you usually travel? Everything. 150 miles max (just because I am not currently travelling further than that but when the virus is done will make some longer trips.
  4. What were the main barriers for you when switching to an EV? None How did you overcome those barriers?
  5. Do you plan your journeys before going on long drives? Not really other than checking out chargers en route or later this year (hopefully) on long trips will book hotels which provide overnight charging. Can you walk me through your method of planning? "does this hotel have bookable charging"
  6. For Hybrid Car owners: Why did you not go full electric powered?
Done in bold.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
83 Posts
  2. What were your main reasons for switching to an EV? Curiosity, global warming, encourage development of BEVs, fun to drive
  3. What do you use your car for? How far do you usually travel? shopping, visiting friends, work, leisure trips. 50 to 200 miles twice a week.
  4. What were the main barriers for you when switching to an EV? How did you overcome those barriers? None at all
  5. Do you plan your journeys before going on long drives? Can you walk me through your method of planning? 95% of journeys are within range. Charge to 80% normally. Charge to 100% before longer trips. Longest trips, stay with family - use a granny charger. Work trips within 200 miles each way, book a hotel that has an overnight charger available. For going further than that have filters set up on ZapMap to display the more reliable chargers only, that don't need a subscription. Holidays we plan to camp and only stay at sites where we can use an electric hookup to charge.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi EV drivers,
  5. Do you plan your journeys before going on long drives? Can you walk me through your method of planning?
1- BEV (is there any other kind??!!!)
2- economics - the cost case was compelling vs keeping our ageing Skoda Fabia
3- wife's car for work, voluntry work, shopping, everything else. 12000 miles a year, less than 120 miles a day
4- lead time when ordering - we got a cancellation so had ours within 2 weeks. Otherwise we'd have had to wait 3-4 months!
5- generally yes, but with 160 mile range, we don't need to use public charging very often at all
6- Hybrid is dead technology - we never considered a hybrid!

·
Registered
185 Posts
BTW, please feel free to reach out with more questions. We're first time EV owners, had the car in January and have now done 3500 miles. We're not eco-warriors and went electric for practical reasons. We have a second EV on order to replace my work car (the current EV replaced my wife's car) so we'll be fully electric by the end of the year, and intend never to darken the driver's seat of an ICE car ever again (once you've experienced the real thing, there's no turning back!!)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
3. Commuting and typical domestic use like shopping. I typically drive 24 miles a day. Before the lock down we would take the car for > 100 mile journies about once a month
4. In 2014 the main barrier was finding an EV dealer within single charge range. There was no public charger infrastructure in North Wales.
Thank you for sharing!
When you had your BEV, how did you overcome the problem of not having public chargers but wanting to take your >100 miles trip? Was it because of your BEV was able to do >100 miles in one trip?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wanted a bigger car for imminent baby; I like tech and wanted to try an EV; environmental impact & pollution; comfort & quieter ride.

Potential issues getting a charging point: got a survey done and it is doable, although a few hundred quid more than a standard install.

The furthest trip we've done in the past few years is 150 miles, so as long as we can charge at the destination we shouldn't be reliant on public charging. We'll still have a diesel so we can use that for longer trips.
Thanks for sharing, your experience is surprisingly similar to my tutor's experience!
  • Are you getting the charging station installed using the OLEV Grant? If not, why not?
  • Do you think in the future you would take the BEV for the longer road trips or use your diesel car for that? Why? (if possible)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got about 55-60 miles or so. I hadn't checked zapmap and Charnock Richard was faulty. Then Bamber Bridge Polar meant 20 minute wait on the phone to get a charge as that wasn't working properly. Was fed up by then so turned back. I was intending to go to Barrow in Furness which was about 130 miles and back. It was mostly motorway and there were all the Instavolts all over where I needed to go. Wouldn't have done it in the Zoe as it can't rapid charge and can't use Instavolt either. Ironically the range of the zoe was better so I probably could have got to Lancaster to continue but the Leaf was looking dubious to reach it safely and after 2 problem charges I decided I didn't want to risk it.

In a 200 mile motorway car it would have been easy. The Leaf is barely 100 miles winter motorway so it wasn't suitable. I'm still continually disappointed by how bad the range is even with the 40kWh battery. The range estimator is also terrible so you can't trust it either. The Zoe could generally be trusted so that helped planning.
I see, there are 3 pain points hitting you all at once there!
I have been reading on the forum that the range estimators on EV's aren't great, I definitely see where you're coming from. Hopefully, this all gets better as the infrastructure improves.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
  2. What were your main reasons for switching to an EV? Curiosity, global warming, encourage development of BEVs, fun to drive
  3. What do you use your car for? How far do you usually travel? shopping, visiting friends, work, leisure trips. 50 to 200 miles twice a week.
  4. What were the main barriers for you when switching to an EV? How did you overcome those barriers? None at all
  5. Do you plan your journeys before going on long drives? Can you walk me through your method of planning? 95% of journeys are within range. Charge to 80% normally. Charge to 100% before longer trips. Longest trips, stay with family - use a granny charger. Work trips within 200 miles each way, book a hotel that has an overnight charger available. For going further than that have filters set up on ZapMap to display the more reliable chargers only, that don't need a subscription. Holidays we plan to camp and only stay at sites where we can use an electric hookup to charge.
Thanks for sharing! Looks like you got a good system going on.
Safe to say you don't have much range anxiety, is this due to careful journey planning? What is your 'secret'?
I'm currently thinking to design something to tackle range anxiety, so I would love to see what you do to keep the anxiety to a minimal.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts